Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How sad are you that a simple issue can bring out the worst in people?

It makes me sad. So very very sad.
- 58 (49.6%)
I think it's great!
- 26 (22.2%)
I'm indifferent.
- 33 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21

Author Topic: 2014: Equal rights  (Read 53280 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: 2014: Equal rights
« Reply #180 on: July 14, 2014, 01:54:03 pm »

I think we need to calm down and focus on discussing the issue, rather than attacking each other. Ad hominem only leads to bad places.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 14, 2014, 01:54:37 pm »

You guys are making too much fuss over this. Really.

Gay dwarves are a thing, and that's OK. It is neither good nor bad, it just is now. Thats fine with me.

(Will never understand why sexual preference makes people lose their minds like this.)

Conversely, since this kind of thing DOES, INVARIABLY happen in real life (People going apeshit over what somebody else finds preferable in the bedroom-- and people going apeshit over people going apeshit about what people find preferable in the bedroom) I think it should also be a thing in the game.

Pretty much. In a game where the community has spawned mermaid bone farms, destroying entire ecosystems by draining the sea into a cavern, "childcare" and stuff, why get all worked up over something simple like gay marriage?

I like the change, and if you don't like it, turn it off. That's an option, after all.

And keep things civil, guys. That is by far the best part of this community, being able to actually discuss things without everyone ending up trying to piss farther than the other.

inspiredsimji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 14, 2014, 01:55:46 pm »

I think we need to calm down and focus on discussing the issue, rather than attacking each other. Ad hominem only leads to bad places.

I'm not using ad hominem, I'm stating facts. Straight, white people are oppressive. Sorry if I hurt your fragile, straight, white feelings.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 14, 2014, 01:56:29 pm »

Honestly? I'm gay and I would be devastated and quite offended if homophobia were implemented. There's more than enough of that in the real world, we don't need to put it in fantasy worlds under the guise of "realism".

The key is 'customization'. As long as Toady allows players to set and modify this kind of stuff...

So you people actively WANT homophobia in your game? And here I thought DF had a good community. Boy, was I wrong.
The community and this game does not exist to cater solely to your whims and beliefs.

I could say the exact same of you. But since the majority of DF players are straight white males, that makes them more important than everyone else, I guess. Just like, I dunno, everywhere else in the world.
It most certainly does not exist to cater to my beliefs; you make a rather assumptive statement. Toady's desire seems to be to create a complex world/history simulator with complex personalities and cultures. As of now, clothing differs slightly from one civilization to another. The community—minus, of course, you—merely sees the new addition of orientation in the civilized beings as a gateway to more complex cultural system regarding sex and the associated values. If such things should be implemented, the customization that Dwarf Fortress is known for would likely allow you to edit the game and create a little queer-paradise of toleration.

I reiterate:

Such terrible things, and their better opposites, exist in real life. As such, they should exist as possibilities in the game. We're not talking about making everyone in DF homophobic, sexist, and racist. We're talking about allowing the game to make some people like that, as some people are in real life. The existence of such people makes in DF would make it more realistic, and provide more compelling drama. Without adversity, how can there be tales of overcoming it?
This precisely illustrates my point.

EDIT: 14 replies behind.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

xeluc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 14, 2014, 01:56:35 pm »

inspiredsimji you appear to be extremely biased here, and I completely understand considering the  RL social and cultural implications of being Homosexual, sadly I might add. But please, calm yourself.

Noone here is gay-bashing, people are only trying to expand the possibilities of the game. This community laughs at crimes committed in DF much more grievous than sexual prejudice. Please don't take these comments as RL opinions of your sexual orientation.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 14, 2014, 01:56:46 pm »

You might be interested in the data collected from the general discussion subforum some months back about the populaiton of this message board and it's self identifying statistics.

Normally, asexual people represent 1 to 3% of a typical population. Of those who participated in the poll, more than 11% were asexual, more than 20% were homosexual, and only around 40% identified as "I am only attracted to the opposite gender".

This forum is far from what you are claiming--- Predominantly white heterosexual males. We OVER-REPRESENT sexual preference minorities.

*Edit

Looks like a lot more straight people participated near the end, which skewed the results I remember--
However, still-- Asexuals, WAAAAAY over represented.

Here is said thread.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:00:50 pm by wierd »

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 14, 2014, 01:57:27 pm »

I'm not using ad hominem, I'm stating facts. Straight, white people are oppressive. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Not all of them. Stereotyping is just as bad. The few give the majority a bad name.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 14, 2014, 01:58:51 pm »

I haven't seen any gay bashing occur in this thread or anybody suggest that including homophobia in ethics constitutes actual homophobia except for inspiredsimji. If nobody is interpreting this the way he is I think it would be a good idea to discount his opinion and stop responding to him.

inspiredsimji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 14, 2014, 01:59:13 pm »

I'm not using ad hominem, I'm stating facts. Straight, white people are oppressive. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Not all of them. Stereotyping is just as bad. The few give the majority a bad name.

I know not all of them. You're crying "not ALL men" here. I already said, not all straight white people are oppressive, but that as a whole straight white people are privileged and that oppresses everyone else.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 14, 2014, 02:01:48 pm »

I view the potential of homophobia existing as: if it exists in the game, then those who really do not like it can use the game to eliminate those with the attitude in their fortress, whether through trying to make the attitude changed through general fortress atmosphere, modding, or killing all who hold that thought in violent manners.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Sumyunguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 14, 2014, 02:01:54 pm »

I haven't seen any gay bashing occur in this thread or anybody suggest that including homophobia in ethics constitutes actual homophobia except for inspiredsimji. If nobody is interpreting this the way he is I think it would be a good idea to discount his opinion and stop responding to him.
This. He might even be is trolling.

inspiredsimji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 14, 2014, 02:03:18 pm »

This. He might even be trolling.

Or maybe I'm just sick of the constant indifference to real social issues that affect me and many like me? I know it's hard to believe.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 14, 2014, 02:03:50 pm »

I know not all of them. You're crying "not ALL men" here. I already said, not all straight white people are oppressive, but that as a whole straight white people are privileged and that oppresses everyone else.
I suggest that you take any further liberal rants to the General Discussion board. This board exists for the game; you will get no progress here.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 14, 2014, 02:04:44 pm »

I like how we're on a board about a game where you can cut someone's arm off, then use the opportunity to gouge their eyes out, then slice open their belly and tear out their guts with your teeth, and THIS... THIS RIGHT HERE IS WHAT'S CAUSING A PROBLEM.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 14, 2014, 02:04:55 pm »

So, modding homophobia could be possible?
"I'M NOT DONE WITH THE GORY PULP THAT IS YOUR EYES! I WILL ERASE THE VAGUE IMPRESSION THAT YOU WERE EVER ABLE TO SEE AT ALL! FORGET THE VITAL ORGANS, BLINDING THE BLINDED AS I BLIND BLIND PEOPLE IS ALL THAT MATTERS!"

-Urist McMason, enraged at having found a Gecko Man in his fortress.
Urist McMason likes Gecko Man Eyes.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21