Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How sad are you that a simple issue can bring out the worst in people?

It makes me sad. So very very sad.
- 58 (49.6%)
I think it's great!
- 26 (22.2%)
I'm indifferent.
- 33 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: 2014: Equal rights  (Read 53267 times)

inspiredsimji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2014: Equal rights
« Reply #210 on: July 14, 2014, 02:18:59 pm »

Just wanted to say inspiredsimji is a troll from tumblr, his/her post is on the first page of #dwarf fortress tag highlighting this thread.

"wow
im trying my damnedest to convince people in this thread that their casual homophobia is NOT ok but i cant even get through their thick neckbeard skulls"

Just thought I would point it out so you guys wont feed the troll anymore, even with well constructed and though through arguments as he/she is just going to disregard it and continue spouting the whole tumblr dogmatic responses.

I just posted a link to my tumblr. Check my about page. I'm actually gay, and I'm actually offended by this. Is it that hard to believe that someone who isn't straight played Dwarf Fortress?

Oh, and Gukag: "SJW" is just something you call "people who actually experience discrimination".

xeluc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 14, 2014, 02:19:04 pm »

Eh I think they're just very upset with how homosexuals are treated IRL, and are hyper sensitive because of that. Regardless, there is no reasoning with them. Unfortunate.

Azukash

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 14, 2014, 02:19:53 pm »

Nice, SJW's in Dwarf Fortress. There's literally nothing they won't attempt to inject their politics in.

It is very irritating they they try to get niche games such as DF to try and cater to their ideologies.

inspiredsimji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 14, 2014, 02:21:18 pm »

Nice, SJW's in Dwarf Fortress. There's literally nothing they won't attempt to inject their politics in.

It is very irritating they they try to get niche games such as DF to try and cater to their ideologies.

Oh no, I want a game that doesn't passively support homophobia! How annoying! As a straight person, I'm annoyed by something not being about me!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 14, 2014, 02:21:51 pm »

Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 14, 2014, 02:23:30 pm »

inspiredsimji I think the problem is that dwarf fortress attempts to be a simulator, there is no real reason why homophobia or racism shouldn't exist. And really, considering that indiscriminate murder and genocide are common parts of the game, why is this such a big deal?
"I'M NOT DONE WITH THE GORY PULP THAT IS YOUR EYES! I WILL ERASE THE VAGUE IMPRESSION THAT YOU WERE EVER ABLE TO SEE AT ALL! FORGET THE VITAL ORGANS, BLINDING THE BLINDED AS I BLIND BLIND PEOPLE IS ALL THAT MATTERS!"

-Urist McMason, enraged at having found a Gecko Man in his fortress.
Urist McMason likes Gecko Man Eyes.

xeluc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 14, 2014, 02:23:43 pm »

OOOOOKAY troll or not, there has been a massive thread drift (and not the good kind)

Anyone else see different ways we can use this mechanic?

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 14, 2014, 02:25:34 pm »

OOOOOKAY troll or not, there has been a massive thread drift (and not the good kind)

Yes, we need to re-rail the thread. Quick, how could we weaponise homosexuality?
"I'M NOT DONE WITH THE GORY PULP THAT IS YOUR EYES! I WILL ERASE THE VAGUE IMPRESSION THAT YOU WERE EVER ABLE TO SEE AT ALL! FORGET THE VITAL ORGANS, BLINDING THE BLINDED AS I BLIND BLIND PEOPLE IS ALL THAT MATTERS!"

-Urist McMason, enraged at having found a Gecko Man in his fortress.
Urist McMason likes Gecko Man Eyes.

Azukash

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 14, 2014, 02:25:47 pm »

Someone mentioned earlier an entirely gay race, maybe something like succubi, or some sort of demon race.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 14, 2014, 02:26:23 pm »

inspiredsimji I think the problem is that dwarf fortress attempts to be a simulator, there is no real reason why homophobia or racism shouldn't exist. And really, considering that indiscriminate murder and genocide are common parts of the game, why is this such a big deal?

Everyone who is not him has excepted those arguments. Everyone who is not him appreciates the difference between including something in a game and tacit approval of homophobia. Whether or not he's a troll he's made it very clear he can't be reasoned with and there's no reason to engage him further.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 14, 2014, 02:26:29 pm »

The first thing I can think of is kill off all the elves, but, hey, that's just me.
Take a closer look at this text!

xeluc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 14, 2014, 02:27:03 pm »

Someone mentioned earlier an entirely gay race, maybe something like succubi, or some sort of demon race.
Amazons I believe :)

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 14, 2014, 02:27:58 pm »

my gods has this thread gone to the circus

It opens up some big potential for modding, for one. You could use different sexual orientation matrices for each race to simulate differing cultural practices.  It would also be good for balancing, say, elves with metal-sharp enchanted equipment, so they don't dominate the overworld with their normally massive armies.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 14, 2014, 02:28:18 pm »

Yes, we need to re-rail the thread. Quick, how could we weaponise homosexuality?

Only two ways I've thought of to derive benefit are to ratchet up homosexuality to save on beds without increasing the number of children, and lesbian dwarves have no babies to carry into battle and then lose their shit over.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 14, 2014, 02:28:40 pm »

Oh no, I want a game that doesn't passively support homophobia! How annoying! As a straight person, I'm annoyed by something not being about me!

There's a problem with your argument.

I am asexual. Not straight, Not gay, Not bisexual. I am the OTHER, OTHER, OTHER, OTHER sexual preference.  I agree with the guy. You are basically demanding wish fullfillment. We want realism. It's that simple. Historically, asexual people have been just as demonized and downtrodden as other people who dont fit the "Tab A only goes in slot B!" category. In the dark ages, it was considered a man's civic duty to marry and have children-- something I have absolutely zero interest in.  I would have been punished just as severely as you would for being gay.  I am considered just as strange as you are, if not more so. Sexual people in general just dont understand what "I dont have sexual impulses" means.

Does that mean I want all dwarves in this game to have no connotations of sexuality in their cultures, so that they would be just like me?

HELL NO.

I want diversity, because diversity causes random confluences that make the game interesting and lively.

Please stop with your unfounded accusations and blatant wish fulfillment. Thank you.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21