Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28

Author Topic: Wakfu - A very sad ogre. Now F2P! Sorta.  (Read 43524 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Wakfu - A very sad ogre. Now F2P! Sorta.
« on: July 10, 2014, 09:16:09 pm »

Guild is up! If you need an invite, message Bariaus, Janet-Toaster, or Aklyon/Aklock (they're the same guy). If they're not on, post in the thread with your username, making sure you're online for as long as possible afterwords to increase your chances.

Want something crafted? Check out this post by resident craftsman, Bulborbish.

Wakfu is an... about two year old, fairly tongue in cheek, and VERY pretty MMO with a turn based strategy vibe that's recently gone into a F2P model, made by Ankama games. (The french makers of dofus, a very similar game, and the prequel to this game). Some of you may remember an old thread and small community during the open beta. I've locked that thread, as nothing really big went down and all the super old posts would likely do nothing but get in the way of newer players.

If you've played dofus, the gist is a massive ogre by the name of ogrest finds the 5 dofus, dragon egg things that grant wishes, things happen, and he gets very sad, climbs to the top of a giant rock pillar and cries until the world is drowned in his tears. This series of events is referred to as ogrest's chaos, for the lore hounds out there.

Anyway it's a fairly basic Turn Based Strategy except you control one unit. You. As such the game is a lot more fun if you've got some people around to play it with.

The server the majority of people are going to be using is Nox. However, it's still fairly early on in these things, so this is up for debate. If you'd like to suggest a server movement, please post in the thread with your argument. "We should go to X server" is not an argument on it's own, for the record.

Let's get on to the classes!

A note! Every character in Wakfu uses skills/spells etc, despite this the stat system is a little wierd. It's simple enough, but before you make any statistical decisions, read the stat descriptions first, for the love of god. The short version is there are 4 elements, a stat corresponds to each element, generally you will be a "fire Iop" or an "earth Feca", etc.

CLASSES

This game has a LOT of classes. I'm only aware of some of them, as I played in open beta and there's obviously been two years of updates I am not up on. Please bear with me, I am probably incorrect in a lot of areas, but the general ideas should be accurate. I've spoilered them as they're taking up a lot of space. If you'd like a more detailed look at the classes without me babbling on about them, go here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

CRAFTING

Generic, unless it's changed. Get mats, press buttons ayyy.

ECOSYSTEM

You may be wondering what this is all about. You see, ogrest's chaos did a number on the ecosystem because, well, most animals can't live underwater. As a result, you can get seeds from animals and plants and replant them. Similarly if enough are killed, seeds are required to repopulate them. Killing too many is considered a crime, and will make it possible for bounty hunters to bring you down. Extinction is possible but not likely, due to the ease of getting seeds, but it definitely provides a wrinkle.

NATIONS

There are four nations. They are lead by the players, and they are all democracies. Government will typically post notices, wars can break out, etcetera. I'll give a (very) brief rundown of them, because this post is long enough as is. As a free player you cannot give your opinion on the governer, but nobody ever did that to begin with. Each nation has a crafting focus, but if you hate one area's theme  it's still possible to pull off a different crafting skill in a non "synergized" area.

Brakmar

Fire and brimstone and metal. There's a mine called sweet childoormine. Lots of mining nodes.

Suifokia

Has a seaside fishing port kinda feel and look. Focused on fishing. Lots of fish nodes.

Bonta

Woodsy area, naturey, that sorta thing. Focused on treecutting. Lotta trees.

Amakna

I really know very little about this. Based around a general like, "castle town" sorta thing? Focused on farming/butchery.

---

After all this you may be wondering, what are the F2P penalties. I'm unsure specifically, but most of the game is available from what I've heard. All I've seen is you can't vote for your governer, it's possible all of the politics are locked out, but I'm unsure of that.

So, that's Wakfu. If you want to play, there's a link below. It's a fairly small download, around a gig, because the entire game is in (absolutely beautiful) 2d.

Link.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 02:15:25 am by Seriyu »

cainiao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wakfu - A very sad ogre. Now F2P! Sorta.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 09:28:44 pm »

extreme grindy, not fun after few weeks.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 09:32:59 pm »

It looked meh when I looked into it... but the Wakfu animation is actually pretty decent (note:  helps to speak / slightly understand french, but of course theres subtitles)
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 11:28:20 pm »

Huh. So it went full cash shop as opposed to subscription, if I'm understanding their page properly? (And regardless of how they advertised Dofus... effectively locking players to the first zone does not constitute F2P.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 11:42:01 pm »

I played this game a while back with a friend, and although we found it fun and a good idea, once we finished with the content on the starting island we found that it wasn't really F2P so much as having a demo. Has anyone finished the starting island and moved out into one of the nations and seen if this has changed? Because when we played the game was totally locked down for F2P players.

Besides some issues with grind and the game sorta clearly being very unpolished and rough, the fact that it really only has a demo for F2P players is what killed it for us, so if it's opened up more we might start playing it again.

Edit: I notice that you list yourself as belonging to a nation Seriyo, that is when we quit the game, as it gave us a quest to join a nation, but to do the quest we had to enter a payed player area. So if you have successfully joined a nation, I think that might be proof that the game has opened up some?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 11:45:15 pm by Criptfeind »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 12:08:26 am »

Yep, you can get in now. It's removed a lot of the P2P limitations, although I'm not sure if there's an upper limit.

The way they talked, it sounded like the majority of the game was free now. I haven't gotten  super far into it yet, myself.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 12:24:16 am »

I played the beta which was free everything and it was fun.

Than it released and I couldn't leave the starting island or use gold or do anything.

Debated paying the subscription, but ultimately decided against it.

Wait, why the christ does their site say this just went into open beta!? I played the beta two years ago, they ended it and released!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:25:58 am by Kaitol »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 12:41:04 am »

It's the F2P open beta! And probably a little bit of "call it a beta"-itis.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 12:55:36 am »

French people. Pftaah.

Anyway, I did rather like this. It dodged the whole stand still and spam cooldown abilitiesitis. While differing from action games which inevitably suffer from latency and lag issues. All of the classes are very unique. The economy is unique, given that the only way to get money was to actually craft it yourself.

The emphasis on tactics played to my strengths, which I appreciated. I was very sad when the beta ended. Mayhap I'll give this supposed FTP a try. They called it FTP before, and it really really wasn't.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 12:59:40 am »

Heh, my only exposure to Wakfu and Ankama is from the animation(which was VERY well done, btw). Might pick this up at some point though.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 01:14:11 am »

Sucks though, I had some REALLY choice character names in the beta. Which I just remembered got wiped, although my old account is still there.

Only one I clearly recall though was getting a female Osamodas named Lilith. Course than the release wipe happened and my name reservation didn't work and I couldn't leave tutorial island anyway.

The game interface is exceptionally polished and pretty, and it'll run on a fairly old computer as well.

I've gravitated towards Nox(NA server) for now, although I'll happily move to the international server if enough people want to be there. Just made an Osamodas named Xirtani to make sure the game ran, too late for anything else. No nation or nuthin.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 01:16:04 am »

Yeah, I'm on Nox myself. Added a server field to the player list.

Heh, my only exposure to Wakfu and Ankama is from the animation(which was VERY well done, btw). Might pick this up at some point though.

I would recommend it! It's very well put together, and I've heard the leveling has gotten better. do note it's vaguely connected to the animation at best, though.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 01:19:44 am by Seriyu »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 09:39:46 am »

I might try to get back into this then in a bit. I have two characters, (assuming they didn't get wiped) one is a Sacrier's blood, the other is a Ecaflip's Coin. The Sacrier is my first one, but I quite enjoy the playstyle of the Ecaflip. My nation is Brakmar for my Sacrier, not sure what nation to put my Ecaflip in. (Both of them are fire, I tried to go earth with the Sacier, but the abilities seemed pretty rubbish.)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 10:59:27 am »

I played Dofus (as p2p) and then actualy got into the closed beta for this, did some testing then left as it went into open beta. I was rather unimpressed with how similar it was to dofus, maybe too similar. I didn't feel like paying subscription for the game at the state it was so I sort of forgot about it. I might try it again now, if I get some people to play with. I'll see if my old account still works.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 07:45:41 pm »

Some notes!

There is a cap on spell exp. The short story is you can cap 3 spells at 150. The long story is this character calculator that may or may not be accurate anymore.

There are reskills for all things in this game, free.

For spells, once you hit the spell cap you can slowly pull spell exp out of one spell and then assign it to another the normal way.

For stats/passives, you ask your nation giant guy in the town area where you come in and he makes you get a ton of low level monster items. 150 to be precise. This can be done only once a month. You get a free restat at nation entry + at level 30. I'm unsure if using the first one invalidates the second one. I intend to find out very soon! Stay tuned.

---

I might try to get back into this then in a bit. I have two characters, (assuming they didn't get wiped) one is a Sacrier's blood, the other is a Ecaflip's Coin. The Sacrier is my first one, but I quite enjoy the playstyle of the Ecaflip. My nation is Brakmar for my Sacrier, not sure what nation to put my Ecaflip in. (Both of them are fire, I tried to go earth with the Sacier, but the abilities seemed pretty rubbish.)

Good to hear! If you want in the OP list simply note your server, nation, and character names/classes at some point and I'll plop em in.

I played Dofus (as p2p) and then actualy got into the closed beta for this, did some testing then left as it went into open beta. I was rather unimpressed with how similar it was to dofus, maybe too similar. I didn't feel like paying subscription for the game at the state it was so I sort of forgot about it. I might try it again now, if I get some people to play with. I'll see if my old account still works.

If there was ever a time to try it again, it's now. Been two years since closed beta, and classes have had rather notable revamps. Two new classes that I don't think were in dofus to boot. I don't think foggernauts were in it anyway, Masqueraiders might've been.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28