Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31

Author Topic: Habit RPG  (Read 38126 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Habit RPG
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2014, 03:00:25 am »

I always go look at a project, realize that it's huge and uses practices that I'm not familiar with, and that I can't really do anything, then get disheartened :(

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2014, 03:29:55 am »

I haven't noticed too many weird glitchy issues myself, possibly because my browser seems to auto-refresh the page when I do things. Still, I can see that having all your tasks magically reorder themselves or your house somehow un-clean itself would be really annoying. Sadly I lack the programming skills to do anything about it.

I always go look at a project, realize that it's huge and uses practices that I'm not familiar with, and that I can't really do anything, then get disheartened :(
This happens to me, too.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2014, 03:34:28 am »

Dwarf Therapist looks fine to me. I'll probably jump in and out of the challenge as required.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2014, 03:52:41 am »

I haven't noticed too many weird glitchy issues myself, possibly because my browser seems to auto-refresh the page when I do things. Still, I can see that having all your tasks magically reorder themselves or your house somehow un-clean itself would be really annoying. Sadly I lack the programming skills to do anything about it.

It's not so much about glitches (though they do happen, as in Vector's case). It's more that the site acts strange and refuses to do useful things that you'd imagine would be quite simple to do. It does appear to auto-refresh, but those refreshes don't apply to the whole site (and I'm not even sure they actually sync you with the server at all). I've never had anything un-check itself or anything so terrible as that, but there have been times when I've visited the tavern many times over the course of a day, after asking a question, and it appears that no one is there. Hit F5, and suddenly there's a thousand messages there that hadn't shown up. That sort of thing. And it *is* possible to lose progress if you get unlucky.

The thing that irks me is they're still insisting that it would be a server-crashing issue if they made it possible to list all the members of a guild. True, the largest guilds have thousands of members. But I still don't see how that's a problem. Their explanation is that each user has a unique ID number, and the server would have to look up these strings of numbers for each user to retrieve their username, and then display that name on the site, and this would bring the whole server down in a fiery explosion.

They're NUMBERS. We're not trying to stream HD video here. We're not even looking at images. Just strings of text, that's all I'm asking for. I cannot conceive of how shitty their server must be, or how inept they must be at coding, if they honestly can't handle that. Please, if anyone here knows enough about making web sites and using php and all that, who is able to understand what's actually going on, who can either explain why this really is too much to ask (or else back me up on their claim being absurd), I'm totally bewildered by this situation.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #109 on: July 20, 2014, 04:08:15 am »

They're actually using Javascript for their server, with node.js to serve as the logic and built using grunt, with internationalization provided by jade? I think?

I honestly don't think the site would be unable to handle lists--the database they use, MongoDB, reputes itself for being able to handle 20000 API requests per second. I would try to help, but it seems I don't konw how to open source projects :(
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:10:01 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Antur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 20, 2014, 04:13:32 am »

Yeah looking at github it's MongoDB+Node with Jade templating i think (never used).
I can understand they don't want weird queries from default view but surely adding some button for getting the list once in a while would not kill the db.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2014, 04:19:57 am »

Thanks for the info, guys. Maybe I'll try and ask one of the higher-ups about putting a button in. The current situation is just silly.

But since, for the moment, I can't see a list of players in our guild, could everyone here make a post giving their Habit name? I know many of you did already, but rather than combing through the thread and tracking down those who didn't, I'd like to just make a quick list. I'll put it in the first post.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2014, 04:21:46 am »

I'm Arx.

So far, this is proving pretty helpful!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2014, 04:37:30 am »

I'm Cheeetar. This is going pretty swell. Eating more regularly, cleaned up a few things that really needed cleaning up.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2014, 05:51:50 am »

Name is Baneling.

Have yet to see how much this helps me, as I only just started it. *shrug*

Time will tell, I suppose.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2014, 08:06:48 am »

sjm9876

Moving slowly due to very general tasks.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2014, 08:20:38 am »

I am Worldmaster.

I do think that this helps a lot, I've gotten more [irl stuff] done in the last week than I have during the whole summer.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2014, 09:39:39 am »

-
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:22:17 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 20, 2014, 09:44:56 am »

Il Palazzo.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2014, 09:50:22 am »

I'm vectorspace!

I do think the site is extremely useful, don't get me wrong, and I'm going to keep using it... I'm just having a lot of trouble with the organization, LOL. I'd also been wanting to try coding on some sort of open source project sometime, so maybe I'll see if there's any small tasks I could help with.

If you want to make a button that displays the names of all the members of a guild, you'll be my new favorite person. ; )

The Dwarf Therapist challenge is up now. I'll try to get to the Exercise one today as well. It'll depend on how much else I manage to get done. It's SO DAMN HOT it's tough to focus...

EDIT: GAH okay apparently it is NOT possible to delete or edit tasks you get from a challenge. So maybe hold off on joining the Dwarf Therapist one until I can figure out how to do it right...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 09:54:46 am by Sappho »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31