Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31

Author Topic: Habit RPG  (Read 38111 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Habit RPG
« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2014, 10:07:25 am »

Hehe, it took nearly 30 minutes for me to fix a single typo, just because setting everything up is such a pain >_<

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2014, 10:09:44 am »

Well I had to delete the entire challenge, after spending 30 minutes to set it up, because nothing on this site works the way you'd expect it to. I wish I knew how to code. I could do SUCH a better job of designing a site like this. It's really not that complicated. They're so excited about how many users they have, so eager to recruit more, yet what are they doing with the money from subscriptions and selling gems? They sure as hell aren't using it to improve the site or get a decent server. Frustrating.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2014, 10:25:21 am »

If you're looking for an easy entry into programming, start with Visual Basic. It's as simple as programming gets.

Oh, and I'm MaximumZero on HabitRPG as well.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:37:54 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2014, 10:33:39 am »

I think I can sum up my programming skill this way: I took a course in Visual Basic during high school. An entire year of programming class, and by the end of it, all I could really accomplish was If...Then statements.

I am starting to learn again using RPG Maker, I believe Skyrunner was helping answer my questions, but then I got busy with other projects and strayed away from it. I should get back to that.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2014, 10:35:00 am »

Little late but I'm Greiger
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2014, 10:46:53 am »

I'm skyrunner and I decided to join this party... tomorrow. >___> I blame mobile and its excruciatingly limited interface.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2014, 12:38:48 pm »

Yeah, the mobile app is pretty terrible for everything but checking your lists.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2014, 03:01:43 pm »

I am TheOrangeWizard!

They're actually using Javascript for their server
AUGH
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2014, 08:56:53 pm »

Alright, all, let's get moving! The Dwarven Gauntlet has been thrown down by yours truly!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 10:03:48 pm by MaximumZero »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2014, 09:27:06 pm »

Is every task for the Gauntlet supposed to be 7 days a week?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2014, 09:39:06 pm »

I suppose I didn't think about that. The Easy Circuit is light enough that you could do it every day, but you should take a couple rest days a week. I don't know how to model that without telling everyone to take the same days off, though.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2014, 10:23:33 pm »

My username's Flameboy.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2014, 01:03:52 am »

I suppose I didn't think about that. The Easy Circuit is light enough that you could do it every day, but you should take a couple rest days a week. I don't know how to model that without telling everyone to take the same days off, though.

This is what happened when I made the Therapist challenge. There's apparently no way for anyone to edit the tasks or delete the ones they don't want. So if you make all of them dailies, everyone in the challenge will get hurt if they don't complete every task, every single day. Might be better to redo it with habits only.

I'm getting really frustrated with the poor usability of this site. The basic concept is excellent, and despite its flaws, it is still worth using. But this has to be just about the worst possible execution I've ever seen. They spent years making the progress bars and animations prettier, and apparently not one second making the damn thing actually WORK in a useful way. And any time I make any suggestion or ask a question in the tavern, I'm met with a chorus of "ALL HAIL THE SERVERS, WE MUST NOT TAX THE SERVERS." I wish I had the time to start a new project, learn how to code (and not use javascript since I'm pretty sure that even with my very limited coding experience and knowledge, javascript is just about the slowest, messiest crap you can use, other than maybe java), and set up the very same concept in a way that actually has some thought put into its design. It's such a shame that so little effort is put into design when software (including games) is made. You just need one person with the right brain for it, and you can prevent mountains of difficulties later on.

I'm also really discouraged by the fact that although they clearly make a lot of money off the site, they just as clearly don't put any effort (or money) into making it better. When you suggest a feature, they LITERALLY say "fix it yourself" and direct you to their GitHub. Volunteers who put their time and effort into improving the site are rewarded with... gems. No one gets paid for their work, and all the money they earn apparently goes straight into their pockets.

Sorry. Frustrated. Will shut up now. And will try to redo the Therapist challenge later with Habits only.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2014, 01:13:22 am »

Actually, -some- people get paid: there are code bounties for difficult tasks.

The thing about HabitRPG is that it's a huge, huge project using cutting edge technology, etc. It's going to be pretty hard to make a clone of it that offers that much functionality. :c

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2014, 01:39:37 am »

I haven't joined because I don't have a PC (at home) and I've heard the mobile ap is ridiculously clunky (now confirmed in this thread) but I like the idea so maybe later.

Meanwhile, interesting and mostly relevant article on willpower: http://www.abc.net.au/health/talkinghealth/factbuster/stories/2014/07/17/4047966.htm

Some points from it:
  • willpower takes energy and so is finite, if you keep having to resist something you will eventually cave
  • you can train to improve your willpower
  • the strength of your willpower naturally fluctuates throughout the day
  • its better to avoid temptation than to resist it
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31