Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33

Author Topic: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer  (Read 79935 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer
« Reply #180 on: October 26, 2015, 04:01:39 pm »

To be fair, the interface on this is a little bit all over the place. It also requires something that older people don't necessarily have: time and mental availability to just dive into this and figure out all the super complex systems through hours upon hours of immersion!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 26, 2015, 04:47:59 pm »

The interface is no worse than DF's, at least. It's disorganised rather than outright bad.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 26, 2015, 05:16:16 pm »

This is why I never tried Minecraft or got anywhere in Shores of Hazeron. Builder games are neat as hell, but I just don't grok the interface.

I mastered DF. Minecraft (with 500 mods and all dem 350 hotkeys). Shores of Hazeron.
But this one gave me a headache and made me a bit sick.  :P

Completely fixable though. I also didn't seem to have the patience to learn how to build it all properly, but once the game's finished I might try it even if it takes downloading other people's designs.
Battles are funny as hell.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 26, 2015, 05:32:03 pm »

I only have problems with helicopter-type craft.  Jet aircraft took some trial and error, but naval is so simple it hurts.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 26, 2015, 07:32:04 pm »

What? The interface for this game is pretty easy, it's all click based anyways. What's the problem?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 26, 2015, 10:23:03 pm »

Well I can see it not being new player friendly.

Like all these games there is little direction, going in the campaign off bat means you will miss some unlockable pieces but you know it too late, then a paddlegun come and you die and nothing tells you what you did wrong.

If you havent quit by then you eventually get to the designer, you start building boatish contraptions with bigger and bigger cannons until them barely float upright and still the paddlegun makes mince of them

Eventually you get a huge monster fire up the campaign and discover it's ten times more the resources you have

A game whose learning curve has a get to the forum and read about weapons and cheap campaign ships step isn't a pillar of userfriendliness (to be fair I've seen worse)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 26, 2015, 11:57:32 pm »

I'll take your word for it, but that wasn't my experience so I don't really know. I mean, I just jumped right in to the ship designer and started testing my creations against the stock ships. Not that they were that good or anything, but I had a couple of okay designs.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 27, 2015, 01:04:11 am »

Jumping straight to campaign sounds like to oposite ofvwhat you'd do though, really.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 27, 2015, 12:33:01 pm »

What? The interface for this game is pretty easy, it's all click based anyways. What's the problem?
Just the designer interface in general. Like, trying to stick some boards to my starting little raft thingy, and then I wanted to turn an angled piece, and suddenly there's six of them floating nearby and I can't figure out how to remove, and then suddenly I'm flying way up and my boat is gone and there's pieces in the water.

EDIT: Also, I tried watching the tutorial but about 10 seconds in, the game overlay reappears and I can't figure out how to get back to the video. But I can still hear it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:39:18 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 28, 2015, 06:40:06 pm »

The new and improved Cannon system is ~amazing~, and less than 2 hours after that drop, the Dev has put out the beginnings of fleet logistics and the new engine update.

THE HYPE.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 28, 2015, 06:48:04 pm »

The new and improved Cannon system is ~amazing~, and less than 2 hours after that drop, the Dev has put out the beginnings of fleet logistics and the new engine update.

THE HYPE.
He also made the cannon system better afterwards.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 28, 2015, 07:38:16 pm »

loving it. outderping kingstead as we speak :D

you can finally build proper traditional, cannon based ships that can match missiles and laser in damage.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11742

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 28, 2015, 08:19:23 pm »

Could someone point me to the update log where they detail what changed? Cannons have always been my problem weapon, just above getting ships that both float reasonably low and don't want to tip over.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 29, 2015, 02:44:02 am »

Could someone point me to the update log where they detail what changed? Cannons have always been my problem weapon, just above getting ships that both float reasonably low and don't want to tip over.

all the new parts and formula:
http://fromthedepths.gamepedia.com/User:Evil4Zerggin/Advanced_cannon

I planned on a video tutorial, but lost so much time just getting the game not to stutter it will need to come later

about floating things...

the game is close to realistic, but it has it's own quirks. first thing to consider us that 1 wood block can make float 1 block metal

put them in equal amount but on uneven distribution:

at top the most heavy part is 4 metal + 4 wood + 4 metal + 4 wood, but if you look at the flat bottom is 12 metal + 12 metal + 12 wood + 12 wood.

now compare with the top deck. this thing will never capsize, and will keep floating even if half sides are shot out

now for some quirks: air pump add buoyancy at the center of their volume. this means top deck and bottom deck will need to never be completely separated. you can create vertical section to the ship volumes, but creating horizontal sections is a recipe for a disaster. the bottom deck will push more (because more of it is underwater) and the ship will list until both section are submerged by an equal amount.

and that's it, there isn't much more to it. just add pumps and ship will float 4-6 meters on top of water with no issues. also don't overweight it down! look at real ww2 cruiser for inspiration. it's hard to find some that have more than half deck space covered in cannons, something people in FTD love to exaggerate.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #194 on: October 29, 2015, 03:05:14 am »

Oh right, this game! Why didn't I PTW before? Or did I??

It's a fun game but with 20 hours of gametime I still have problems with making ships that just work. Overdesigning is my specialty. :P
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33