Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33

Author Topic: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer  (Read 79939 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer
« Reply #165 on: August 06, 2015, 04:35:32 am »

trimarans - same stability as wide stuff, but less resources to build

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 06, 2015, 09:02:32 am »

guys.... seriously, just looks up basic ship building.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 06, 2015, 09:12:58 am »

The game is surprisingly true to real physics.  The trick to making your ships stable is basically make them heavier on the bottom, and maybe a bit wider.  The key, as with all things, is your center of mass, which you want fairly low.  Just make the blocks on the center line of the bottom into metal/lead.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 06, 2015, 07:35:49 pm »

The game is surprisingly true to real physics.  The trick to making your ships stable is basically make them heavier on the bottom, and maybe a bit wider.  The key, as with all things, is your center of mass, which you want fairly low.  Just make the blocks on the center line of the bottom into metal/lead.

This holds true. I find the best way is to construct your skeleton from alloy as well as any compartmentalization you want done, while using lead to control the center of mass (preferably using it as a keel), I generally reserve metal for armor (deck and side armor, occasionally for important bulkheads). Layering buoyant material on top of your ship, such as wood for your decks or wood/rubber around the sides of the ship helps to keep your level. The best center of mass is probably right below the water line I think. Keeps you from tipping, but also from bobbing side-to-side easily.

EDIT: I've also been experimenting with ironclad-like designs, where most of the ship (a surface vessel, not a sub) lies below the water. So only the gun deck and turrets are above.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 08:01:46 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 07, 2015, 01:36:19 am »

And another thing, propulsion at the level of the center of mass. Otherwise you get a ship that's stable... as long as it's stationary - if you try to move it either tips back or forwards.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 07, 2015, 04:26:38 am »

I bought this game a long time ago and couldn't really get into it. Gave it another try and all the extra tools (fill, mirror) made it awesome to play. Made a huge ship with one extremely long barrelled cannon but the projectiles just came out with no speed at all. Does anyone know how to add force to cannon projectiles? My ship has hopefully been build to resist the knockback

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 07, 2015, 07:16:12 am »

probably less/more gauge? it's the only thing I can think of. long barrel already gives them a boost in speed.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 07, 2015, 08:45:54 am »

You need more guage to add size and velocity. Currently no way to add just velocity so machine-guns have pathetic ranges and you need massive doom cannons to hit air targets.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 07, 2015, 08:48:37 am »

You need more guage to add size and velocity. Currently no way to add just velocity so machine-guns have pathetic ranges and you need massive doom cannons to hit air targets.
Why would you ever not build a massive doom cannon anyways?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 07, 2015, 09:03:04 am »

anti aircraft role

they may dodge missiles, but they can't dodge the air being filled with bullets

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 09, 2015, 12:29:15 am »

anti aircraft role

they may dodge missiles, but they can't dodge the air being filled with bullets

Exactly. My current flagship/airship has a front-mounted(no turret) high explosive machinegun which its AI is set to fire at ranges up to 2.5km. At that distance, the entire enemy vehicle and its general vicinity is constantly violently bombarded with explosions and things only get worse for them the closer they get, they don't usually get in range to use their guns. If you can't hit accurately or are going to shoot at highly mobile targets, just go for inaccuracy and fire rate, nets more damage.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 09, 2015, 02:03:20 am »

Has anyone considered that ammo should take metal?  Ammo barrels store and generate ammo, but also the ammo generator exists.  And for engines, gas tanks exist but must have a fuel converter.  It stands to reason that ammo will eventually be made into a metal resource, but is currently 'free' for beta testing purposes.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 11, 2015, 01:44:37 am »

this game is so silly

built my first cannon based fighter that works, than added ion thrusters all over the place, goes 75m/s in atmos and 30m/s in space

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

but because cannon recoil, it spins violently while shooting at enemies

oh you third law :P

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2015, 06:02:22 pm »

What's the most powerful/efficient engine pattern?

Is this it?

Made it by looking at the ideal carb intake ratios.
The ideal carburator has 3 fuel-injectors & 2 superchargers.
Bump down the total intakes, and the best is 2 injectors & 2 chargers.
One more down, and you want 2 injectors and a Single charger.

Generally the values are pretty close, so long as neither fuel nor air goes above 66%.

So, aim for 60/40 fuel/air, & DON'T go above 66/33 or below 33/66.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 06:06:20 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 26, 2015, 03:43:09 pm »

Just got this thanks to Sirus....I'm assuming he got it to laugh at an old man, because WTF AM I DOING.

This is why I never tried Minecraft or got anywhere in Shores of Hazeron. Builder games are neat as hell, but I just don't grok the interface.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33