Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 30

Author Topic: Jack's Simple BYOR: Game over! Town win!  (Read 53416 times)

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Jack's Simple BYOR [12/12]: Day 1 - Contrived Power Explanation
« Reply #150 on: June 26, 2014, 12:36:53 am »

Hapah What makes you assume auto revives DON'T work that way? Give me an example of how you think one might work.
First things first, you didn't say auto revive; you just said revive. Second, as a rule of thumb people flip when they die. Can you link me the precedent? I really am hard up for time these days.

Sorry to sound snippish, first day on job and I'm already screwing things up.
Spoiler: Friendly Advice (click to show/hide)

Quote from: flabort, snipped for brevity
If I were a scum with revive, I wouldn't have mentioned them as something I'm afraid of, would I?
You'd be surprised. Besides, ideally your answer shouldn't change at all regardless of if you're town or scum. The issue I've got is that you seemed certain that an auto revive won't flip, and I'd like to see your precedent to see if you've got a leg to stand on.

Hapah: well i dont really know what to make of his statements. I feel he might not be direct scum but maybe not town either
Is there something specific, or is it more of a gut feeling?

Toaster, Ottofar, Persus:
How do your assigned roles compare to what you thought you'd get?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 26, 2014, 12:43:08 am »

Here's my example of Precedent:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138215.msg5305664#msg5305664

Griffinpup has been lynched. Griffinpup has come back to life.

No flip.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 26, 2014, 12:58:41 am »

Writing up a post in my other game then crashing, but thank you!

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 26, 2014, 01:02:15 am »

Hapah
It nothing specific just general feeling
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 26, 2014, 07:36:00 pm »

Flabort:
PPE: Toaster OK. If a revive is not a town tell, is it a scum tell? Is it a null tell?

I consider it pretty null.  Announcing it is just... why?

Quickly glancing at BYOR 4, 9, and 10 (because they're the first three I see)
Quote from: Revives
Town: 3, plus the ability to grant a revive
Mafia: 1
Other: 2

Yeah, pretty null, at least in WUBA games.

It doesn't make them "inherently" town, it makes them "More likely" town. Because revival, resurrection, is typically associated with the divine, with good. Sure, there's unholy revival (sell your soul, SCP, zombies), but there are more cases of resurrection being good than evil; since roles are based off of articles, the powers have to be based off the articles; there's a higher chance that something divine (Such as "Jesus Christ") was chosen for an article than something evil.

If I were a scum with revive, I wouldn't have mentioned them as something I'm afraid of, would I? I was thinking that, if the scum had a revive, and you mislynched me, the game would effectively be in MYLO afterwards, but I went over the numbers again, and you're fine if you lynch me. Even if the scum have a revive. Even though I'm town.

I wasn't asking about the possibility of a revive at all until someone decided to press a lynch over my answer about it. I've started asking about it for purposes of defending myself. No, I guess in the BYOR's I've read, there haven't been any revives besides the Wall of Flesh.

Oh.  Well, that's silly.

Hapah:
Toaster, Ottofar, Persus: How do your assigned roles compare to what you thought you'd get?

They look like fishing bait!

In all seriousness, I didn't really come in with preconceived notions- I sent in something for interest factor more than gaming for a certain role.  I'm satisfied with what I got, though.

Flabort is correct that around here, if you revive right on death you typically do not roleflip.

TolyK:  What are you doing to root out your mafia-allies?  Why isn't everyone else voting you like they should be?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 26, 2014, 08:04:59 pm »

Toaster: I'm not entirely sure why TolyK's mafia ally is any more possible than Flabort's reanimating scum. And if Toly is a mafia ally, isn't it a better idea to kill the scum first?

I'm not voting either because my vote is on Persus and it stays until he answers my questions.

Let me ask you this: what makes you so certain that Toly is a maf ally?

EPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 26, 2014, 10:30:15 pm »

Flabort
I'm just stating the precedent. Me, I don't have a revive, nor do I know anyone who does this game.
No, I didn't "slip scum". If there's a scum with a revive, though, you don't want to be voting me anyways, because they could win LYLO by default. And MYLO turns into LYLO.

My auto, while I wish it were revive, is that I can't be redirected or randomized.

I don't see how your blue statement follows logically from your green statement. If people think you're scum with auto revive, than it makes sense to lynch you ASAP. Are you saying you think there is a scum with revive, and we should be looking for them?

Also the way I read your claim, it implies that's not all there is to your role. If you thought you were about to be lynched why didn't you full claim, flavor & all? That's something that would possibly lend you credibility if that's what you were aiming for, but partial claiming like so seems a bit random, and self defensive.

Hapah
Toaster, Ottofar, Persus:[/b] How do your assigned roles compare to what you thought you'd get?
You seem experienced enough that I would like to assume this is more than just blatant rolefishing. And you're asking other players who seem to know what they're doing. So I doubt you're gonna get naive responses from people who then reveal too much, but, if so, what's the point of the question?

4maskwolf
EPenguin: What's your impression of this style of forum mafia so far?
More questions involved, but altogether not unfamiliar.

Toaster: I'm not entirely sure why TolyK's mafia ally is any more possible than Flabort's reanimating scum. And if Toly is a mafia ally, isn't it a better idea to kill the scum first?

I'm not voting either because my vote is on Persus and it stays until he answers my questions.

Let me ask you this: what makes you so certain that Toly is a maf ally?
So what exactly do you think are the chances of either flabort or toly is scum? Your statements seem to imply that you think there's a decent chance, but you're vague. Or are you simply saying, lynching auto reviving scum > lynching mafia ally, but think both accusations are not well founded?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 26, 2014, 10:33:34 pm »

Penguin: I believe that both accusations have some basis, but lynching a scum is far better than a scum ally. However, the basis of the accusations is not great enough to drag my vote off the guy who has done very little. I know that RL gets in the way, but he hasn't even said a thing other than one initial answer post and an extend post.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 26, 2014, 10:44:54 pm »

Flabort
I'm just stating the precedent. Me, I don't have a revive, nor do I know anyone who does this game.
No, I didn't "slip scum". If there's a scum with a revive, though, you don't want to be voting me anyways, because they could win LYLO by default. And MYLO turns into LYLO.

My auto, while I wish it were revive, is that I can't be redirected or randomized.

I don't see how your blue statement follows logically from your green statement. If people think you're scum with auto revive, than it makes sense to lynch you ASAP. Are you saying you think there is a scum with revive, and we should be looking for them?

Also the way I read your claim, it implies that's not all there is to your role. If you thought you were about to be lynched why didn't you full claim, flavor & all? That's something that would possibly lend you credibility if that's what you were aiming for, but partial claiming like so seems a bit random, and self defensive.
No, I'm not saying that I suspect there is. I was saying that that is the kind of scum team that would terrify me most. And I thought, that at the time, if there were such a team, and people voted and mislynched for the reasons of there being such a scum, that the game would effectively be in LYLO or MYLO afterwards. I know that that was incorrect now, but that's why I said what I said. If there is such a team, you might want to put more effort into finding the right person to lynch than just lazily voting the guy who suggested that there might be the possibility of such a team, because you only get a few chances to mislynch.

Yeah, that's not all there is. I have a night action and a day action as well. The night action I will keep to myself, but I'll freely share that my day action is to find out if someone took an action the night before. And that blocked players show up as having not acted. My flavor... well, I'm a mathmatical construct, a computer simulation: The Turmite. The day action works by looking at the infinite square grid, and getting information from there. My auto ability is called "Absolute", which as I've said before makes me unredirectable and unrandomizable.
The Cyan Menace

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 26, 2014, 11:14:31 pm »

Everyone: Reads please.

I'll post mine tomorrow. Today has been... not a good day for me and I need sleep.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 26, 2014, 11:19:08 pm »

Votecount:
*Persus13 - 4maskwolf (1)
*flabort - Varee, Hapah, Ottofar (3)
*TolyK - Toaster (1)
*Ottofar - PTDfun (1)
*Varee - (0)
*Toaster - TolyK (1)
*MyOwnWorstEnemy - (0)
*PTDfun - (0)
*EPenguin - (0)
*Jiokuy - (0)
*Hapah - (0)
*4maskwolf  - Jiokuy (1)
Not Voting: Persus13, MyOwnWorstEnemy, EPenguin, flabort

Day ends 9:00 PM Friday, June 27th (about 24 hours from now), or upon hammer (7 votes).
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 27, 2014, 12:31:02 am »

Mowe Sure, here's my list of reads:

Persus13: First BYOR? Definitely knows the local players, from his response to 4mask. Not counting that really brief extend post, only has one post. Null read.

Flabort: Most fears scum teams with autorevives, next to teams that can gain new powers. Most fears, as far as powers are concerned, ones that affect other powers. Fortunately, the number of those that can affect him this game are reduced due to his "Absolute" auto. Unfortuneately, is the current lynch candidate. Town.

TolyK: Not new, but new to me. self proclaimed BYOR vet. Has a secret. Is concerned to a minor degree about game design.  Third party? Neutral read.

Ottofar: Definitely strapped for time. Doesn't post until late page 3(50ppp), and only to answer a question, extend, and hop on a forming wagon. Scummy lean for that, but overall null read.

Varee: Is Varee new.  *budumtish!* Has a "sneaky" power. Starts with some harmless rolefishing (I don't agree with the general stance on it, but I've found I usually get in trouble for it). Doesn't feel good about removing people from the game (Reminisent of GWG, but on the good side of the coin). Not great formating, apologizes for it. Seems like me very early on. Null read.

Toaster: Jumps to a conclusion right off the bat. Suspisiously snippy.  Otherwise a pretty reasoned fellow. Neutral read.

MyOwnWorstEnemy: Something feels off, but I can't put my finger on it. Says she isn't going to contribute to RVS because she's not very aggressive, and does well without RVS questions. Builds cases on other people's interactions instead. I'm going to say neutral read.

PTDfun: Huh. I just saw your avatar on Youtube somewhere, and thought to myself, "Haven't I seen that picture before?" And now that I think about it, I've seen it in Men in Black as well. You well cooked yet? Anyways, he expects that activity will be a key factor in this game, or rather, that lack of it won't make town lose. Fresh off the Begginer's mafia circuit, but seems experienced; well reasoned, bulky posts. Agressive, too. Neutral read.

EPenguin: Brother to PTDfun?! Well, they effectively have a quick chat, for knowing eachother IRL. Not as wordy as his brother, but also well reasoned. Participates in RVS by asking questions in addition to answering them, something which I noticed later his brother didn't do. Neutral read.

Jiokuy: Possibly pressed for time. Doesn't post until page 3(50ppp).  Only one post so far. Null read.

Hapah: Possibly pressed for time. Doesn't post until page 3(50ppp). Angry for asking about gut feelings to early, but he didn't answer the question until 24 hours after. Asked the second question that may get me lynched. Also the first to vote me for the current lynch issue. That lynched auto-revives don't flip; which this forum does have precedent for. The post where that issue came up had lots of rather brief replies. Leaning scum.

4maskwolf: Asked the first question that may still get me lynched. I think he plays like I used to, before I started taking notes. Except he does better at it. Uses a FoS on me, because he was already voting Hapah. Neutral read.
The Cyan Menace

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 27, 2014, 01:19:44 am »

Unvote. Thanks for the references flabort/Toaster.

Toaster, Ottofar, Persus: How do your assigned roles compare to what you thought you'd get?
They look like fishing bait!

In all seriousness, I didn't really come in with preconceived notions- I sent in something for interest factor more than gaming for a certain role.  I'm satisfied with what I got, though.
I phrased it poorly; look below and take another stab at it, if you don't mind. That's what I get for posting this late!

Hapah
Toaster, Ottofar, Persus:[/b] How do your assigned roles compare to what you thought you'd get?
You seem experienced enough that I would like to assume this is more than just blatant rolefishing. And you're asking other players who seem to know what they're doing. So I doubt you're gonna get naive responses from people who then reveal too much, but, if so, what's the point of the question?
I phrased it poorly. What I'm trying to do is make them work a little harder if they want to fake a claim down the road. I asked the 3 of them because I believe them to be the most experienced here (and by extension, more likely to make a convincing fakeclaim).

I think an example would be good. Let's say you submitted this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Padilla . I gave it a quick read; this guy is a bodybuilder. If you got moves that were things like "Strong" or "Pumping Iron" or "Facepunch" or whatever, I'd call that expected. If you picked that guy and got an auto called "Tetanus" (his first weight was a rusty barbell from his brother), that'd be unexpected. I want to know if what they got matches what they thought they'd get in this way. Sorry if this is a little disjointed but I'm posting late again, lol.

Everyone: Reads please.

I'll post mine tomorrow. Today has been... not a good day for me and I need sleep.
This is gonna have to wait until tomorrow. Today was rather quiet, if we pushed for the second extend would anyone post on the weekend? Or are we gonna have to knee-jerk lynch someone tomorrow?

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
Re: Jack's Simple BYOR: Signups Over, Making Roles [12/12]
« Reply #163 on: June 27, 2014, 02:12:12 am »

Varee: Unknown Factor, new player so less personal meta to factor in.

EPenguin: Actively Hunting, Town Lean

Persus13: Neutral read, lacks strong pro or anti town content.

Hapah: Unknown Factor, gathering more meta information from past games.

Toaster: Inscrutable as always.

-------------------------------

flabort: Neutralish read.
If your passive makes you unredirectable, how many redirectors do you think are in this game?
-Your partial claim seems off. I see two major results of this claim.

--A) You don't actually have this power, but you're hoping the claim will protect you from redirects.

--B) You really do have this passive, in which case you've just reduced the chances that scum would waste any redirects they have on you, your ability normally serves as a shield from redirects.

I don't see eithir of the outcomes as particularly "towny". Care to share your thoughts.

4mask: Slight scum lean.
I don't keep notes. I find targets by the seat of my pants, so to speak.
Distancing yourself from the results of your lynches 4mask?

Watch this turn into GBU with me on the losing (town) side.
One particular thing I've noticed is, scum players tend to jump at the cnace to passivly refer to themselves as town.

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 27, 2014, 02:13:06 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 30