Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30

Author Topic: Jack's Simple BYOR: Game over! Town win!  (Read 53379 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Jack's Simple BYOR [12/12]: Day 1 - Contrived Power Explanation
« Reply #165 on: June 27, 2014, 02:31:29 am »

Jiokuy It's (B), and it also prevents any town redirects from being wasted on me, too.
I don't know if there are any redirects or randomizers, but it seems likely there is one to three of them; not each, between the two options. I don't see why scum are more likely to have a redirect than town; I do see the ability being of less use to town, though.

Thanks for posting again. :) Having only one post to go on was not great.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: Jack's Simple BYOR: Signups Over, Making Roles [12/12]
« Reply #166 on: June 27, 2014, 08:17:46 am »

Varee: Unknown Factor, new player so less personal meta to factor in.

EPenguin: Actively Hunting, Town Lean

Persus13: Neutral read, lacks strong pro or anti town content.

Hapah: Unknown Factor, gathering more meta information from past games.

Toaster: Inscrutable as always.

-------------------------------

flabort: Neutralish read.
If your passive makes you unredirectable, how many redirectors do you think are in this game?
-Your partial claim seems off. I see two major results of this claim.

--A) You don't actually have this power, but you're hoping the claim will protect you from redirects.

--B) You really do have this passive, in which case you've just reduced the chances that scum would waste any redirects they have on you, your ability normally serves as a shield from redirects.

I don't see eithir of the outcomes as particularly "towny". Care to share your thoughts.

4mask: Slight scum lean.
I don't keep notes. I find targets by the seat of my pants, so to speak.
Distancing yourself from the results of your lynches 4mask?
Lolwut? No, I'm just as accountable for my lynches and should be held as such. I'm just saying I don't keep a detailed spreadsheet or notes and choose targets based on my opinion at the moment. I'm still equally accountable, it's just less work.

I'll post reads when I get to a computer

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 27, 2014, 09:04:47 am »

Don't worry about me, am just another guy watching you guys doing what you do best.  ;)

Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 27, 2014, 09:48:21 am »

Varee:
Well which one of the game i should read?
And forgive me for role fishing, i just wanna know what kind of article people pick
Well, that's a tough one. Games in the Notable Games archive are a good start. As for more recent games, I can't really think of any.
It's okay, I want to know what people picked too, but I'm going to wait until the end.

Also i havent finish reading yet but it seem the longer into the game we are, the question get... Umm weirder i guess. I feel like it might take time for me to adapt to this forum playstyle.
Normally we've found something suspicious by now, but that hasn't really happened yet.

PTDfun:
Persus13:
PTDfun: I liked the answers you gave to people, but ask more then 1 question. Have you read a BYOR before?
1) In post #75 I asked 8 questions.
2) I have not read a BYOR before. It seems I should. Would you suggest one for me?
Yes, but you asked them to people who were already talking to you. I was more referring to trying to start questioning people you weren't talking to.

Ottofar: How do you make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?
Why are you asking a pointless question and voting that person? Generally you want to ask questions that have relevance to this Mafia game or Mafia in general.

4maskwolf:
4maskwolf: Is there anything else you want to know to alleviate that RVS vote?
Hmm...
MOWE: you claim your gut is fairly accurate, but: GBU. It is not perfectly accurate, no?
Fairly accurate and perfectly accurate are two different things. People can have off games. If you had multiple games to cite, this would be valid. you don't.

Do you trust your gut feelings? Has following your gut impression worked in the past?
I'll answer this question as well, since I'm questioning this bit too.
It has in the past for me, mostly. Supernatural 6 I got a gut impression that one player was scum. I was right. That

Since I be decided to actually play this game after being told my strategy was shit by Jack,
Is this referring to you're strategy of not doing much D1 because you dislike it?

Persus13: if you had to vote for anyone right now, who would you vote for? Why?
You, since you're behaving strangely and cited that you changed your strategy without mention specifics to explain why or how, which makes it sound more like an excuse then anything else.

Extend.
This is incredibly lazy for someone with questions outstanding, particularly when they posted in another mafia game after this. Seriously?
1. I prioritize Supernatural 7 over this game, and when I have to choose between the two, I'll post there.
2. Mafia posts take a while to write, but I wanted to extend for more time.
3. I'm incredibly busy with RL stuff over the past few days.
4. Yes, seriously.

Flabort:
Persus Do you expect there to be third parties? What kind of third parties do you expect there to be?
Yes, and probably an SK or survivor role. I doubt there will be anything fancy.

PPE Thank you, Persus. Although that's an awfully short post, and you're going to get **** for that, thank you for extending.
No problem.

Jiokuy:
Persus13: In your opinion, what is the most reliable scumtell.
That is a really tough question. Lying is probably the most reliable.

Will you be more active then you were in Supernatural?

Hapah:
Toaster, Ottofar, Persus: How do your assigned roles compare to what you thought you'd get?
I wasn't really expecting anything much from my suspicion, I only wanted to see what Jack would do with it.

Extend. You all know day ends in about 14 hours right? And I don't think a flabort lynch is a good idea since it's over game mechanics then something that's actually scummy.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

PTDfun

• Bay Watcher
  • Blob...
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 27, 2014, 09:49:00 am »

My reads: I've jotted down the aspects of each player that stand out to me.

Persus13: Null
One content post, no votes, and an extend. Not much to go off of. This false statement bugs me:
PTDfun: I liked the answers you gave to people, but ask more then 1 question. Have you read a BYOR before?
It could easily be that he was just skimming the thread before posting, and it probably bugs me because I dislike being misunderstood - hence my long posts.

flabort: Null
Very active. Consistently gathers data. I think his spreadsheet/data approach to the game motivates this, even if he is not using the spreadsheet for this particular game. I'm puzzled that he revealed two of his abilities so early. With regard to the stuff about him looking suspicious for saying things about an auto revive: I don't think there is any water in that bucket.

TolyK: Null
His says he typically gets lynched 1st or 2nd day for failing to do much but respond. In this game he has made evident steps to counteract this. He has not posted on any other Bay 12 forums since the game began.

Ottofar: Slightly Scummy
Doesn't post much. Hasn't replied to my simple question for days. But has enough time to vote. Part of flabort bandwagon.

Varee: Null
Inexperienced player with technical difficulties trying to make the best of it. Seems genuine and confused. Jumped on flabort bandwagon without reason.

Toaster: Null to Slightly Scummy
Read this out loud: "Toaster? I don't even know her!"
Has kept a vote on TolyK consistently for "being a mafia ally". It's not clear to me whether that was initially RVS or not, and I don't know how serious he is now. He jumped on the flabort witch hunt for a bit (in talk, not in vote).

MyOwnWorstEnemy: Null
Says he prefers to watch other players during RVS rather than asking his own questions. Says he uses his gut. His behavior has been consistent and his gut has been silent. He requested reads.

EPenguin: Null
As he said, he is my brother (we don't live in the same city). We've never played forum mafia together so his style is new to me, and I trust him to play to win. Questioned flabort and Hapah about the point of their questions. Was part of the flabort witch hunt.

Jiokuy: Null
Brings up Jester. Hasn't posted much. Said "victory does not require survival."

Hapah: Null
Suspected flabort for asking about suspicions 15 minutes into the game. I'm unsure if this was an RVS vote. Was part of the flabort witch hunt. Willing to take new evidence into account.

4maskwolf: Null
Likes to pressure vote (did this 5 times so far). Frequent, brief posts.
Wand of Not Touching - The target thinks they have been poked. Range of one cm.
I want one of these.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 27, 2014, 10:07:00 am »

Clarification PTD
I didn't jump on flabort band wagon, i just choose hime as a random d1 pick but i don't want to change it right now.
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

PTDfun

• Bay Watcher
  • Blob...
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 27, 2014, 10:09:06 am »

flabort: My avatar is a blobfish.

Persus13:
PTDfun:
Persus13:
1) In post #75 I asked 8 questions.
2) I have not read a BYOR before. It seems I should. Would you suggest one for me?
Yes, but you asked them to people who were already talking to you. I was more referring to trying to start questioning people you weren't talking to.
That makes sense. I didn't see that distinction. Thank you for clarifying. This was my first RVS to play. I'll take this into consideration in the future. Why did you target me with the statement about not asking questions when there are other players who were less involved?

Ottofar: How do you make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?
Why are you asking a pointless question and voting that person? Generally you want to ask questions that have relevance to this Mafia game or Mafia in general.
1) It was still RVS/RQS as far as I could tell.
2) Pressure vote.
3) The question is not useless. Some companies ask this question during formal interviews. I will explain the significance of the question after it is answered.

Varee:
Clarification PTD
I didn't jump on flabort band wagon, i just choose hime as a random d1 pick but i don't want to change it right now.
Thanks for the clarification. My mistake.

Everyone: I'm going to be out of town for the rest of the weekend. I'll be PFP but don't expect any of my regular posts.
I want one of these.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 27, 2014, 10:16:33 am »

Ah, okay, I'm back on a computer.

To start with, extend, since I know I can be on a computer now.

Answering things first, then giving reads:

Persus: In what way am I behaving strangely?  As to your other point about my strategy change, I'm not at liberty to say because TWS hasn't died yet.  As soon as Supernatural ends, I will tell you exactly how I changed my strategy.  Someone may have to remind me though.

PTDfun: Almost all of your reads are "null".  Not neutral, null.  If they are truly null reads (you have no read on the person), then you should attempt to get a read on them by pressuring them, interacting with them.

Now, reads:

Persus13: Has only posted twice, but his posts have good content and answer questions.  Neutral read, I don't have quite enough information to say either way.

Flabort: Seemed greatly concerned with the possible inclusion of a reviving scum, but has otherwise been active and well-spoken.  Has claimed two powers and an auto.  I'd say slight scum for the random claim, but after seeing him softclaim in supernatural 7 I'm going to say neutral.

TolyK: Null read, I simply don't know his playstyle well enough to get a solid read on him.

Ottofar: Is rarely here.  Null read.

Varee: hasn't posted a huge amount and is new, so null read.  Wish he/she would try to use what he/she has seen us do and scumhunt a bit (with wish being used in a "I hope" kind of way and not a "do it" kind of way  :) )

Toaster: Seems way too focused on one thing that TolyK said about mafia allies.  Slight scum.

MOWE: Has yet to wield her vote.  Null read at the moment.

PTDfun: Neutral read.  He's doing pretty good for being on his (second?) game, but nothing that says "townie".

EPenguin: Good content, large posts.  Slight town lean.

Jiokuy: Slight scum lean, I haven't seen the justification for his vote.  He seems to be saying "well, you made a flippant remark about the way you play, do you expect to be let off the hook for your votes because of it?"

Hapah: Posts are often short, but nothing jumps out either way.  Neutral read.

4maskwolf: This guy.  I hate him.  Obvious scum.  :D

PTDfun

• Bay Watcher
  • Blob...
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 27, 2014, 10:20:00 am »

Extend

4maskwolf: Oh. Well, then I meant neutral on all those "null" entries.
I want one of these.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 27, 2014, 12:56:01 pm »

Actually, come to think of it, my reason for voting Hapah is mostly OMGUS.  ::)
However, the very scummy move of blinking in, voting the guy with the most votes, and blinking out, is something I have seen very often before. Not on Bay12. And whenever it happened, the blinker got lynched. Unvote Hapah, Ottofar.

PTDfun Did you mean neutral for ALL the null entries? Because the way you say that, you sound like you're looking for an excuse not to press anyone. And MOWE is a girl. Ah, and I didn't know you didn't live near your brother. I was interpreting the fact that one of you tended to post right after the other as you sharing one computer.

Toaster You're making my gut tingle again. Please justify your attack on TolyK, and prove how his post leads you to believe his is a Mafia-Ally.
The Cyan Menace

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 27, 2014, 01:45:46 pm »

Extend.

My reads:

Persus: Came in and answered questions finally; very busy and forced to prioritize between two games, which is understandable. Neutral.
flabort: Seems to have made logical moves, focusing on revives because the topic was pressed which some people seemed to overlook; his words seem to be getting twisted around by people; claim seemed unnecessary, but I wouldn't necessarily call that scummy. Neutral.
TolyK: Hasn't been around terribly much; nothing in his posts really stands out; null.
Ottofar: Hasn't been around much; null.
Varee: New and hasn't posted much; null.
Toaster: Nothing he's done has really stood out to me; neutral.
PTDfun: fairly active and appears to be scumhunting; town lean.
EPenguin: Posts have good content; seems to be hunting nicely; town lean.
Jiokuy: Hasn't really been around; nothing really stands out in his posts; null.
Hapah: Short posts and seems to be busy with RL; null.
4mask: A bit too critical on certain things for my liking; something feels... off, but might be the change in tactics; neutral with very slight scum lean.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 27, 2014, 01:59:44 pm »

By the time the 28th pot of coffee had been finished off, the volunteers had managed to reach a four way tie.  Time was running out, and people were getting rather tired.  A few, however, called for another lengthening of the day.

Votecount:
*Persus13 - (0)
*flabort - Varee, Ottofar (2)
*TolyK - Toaster (1)
*Ottofar - PTDfun, flabort (2)
*Varee - (0)
*Toaster - TolyK, 4maskwolf (2)
*MyOwnWorstEnemy - (0)
*PTDfun - (0)
*EPenguin - (0)
*Jiokuy - (0)
*Hapah - (0)
*4maskwolf  - Jiokuy, Persus13 (2)
Not Voting: MyOwnWorstEnemy, EPenguin, Hapah

Extension Requests: 4/7 (4maskwolf, PTDfun, MyOwnWorstEnemy, Persus13)

Day ends 9:00 PM Friday, June 27th (about 9 hours from now), or upon hammer (7 votes).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 02:09:31 pm by Jack A T »
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 27, 2014, 02:08:03 pm »

I extended as well.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 27, 2014, 02:10:20 pm »

I am best mod.

Fixed.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 27, 2014, 02:18:43 pm »

Extend

Myself, Ottofar, Toaster, 4maskwolf As the four way tie needs to be broken in some way, what are the pros and cons of a no lynch? What are the pros and cons of lynching each of your three current vote competitors?

My answer: A no lynch would not yield the information of a flip, but it would mean no mislynch. Lynching Ottofar would remove an inactive player from the game, but would deprive us of his skill when he's not lurking. Lynching Toaster would remove a logical player, but he'd flip and we'd learn why he was attacking TolyK. Lynching 4mask would remove a chaotic and somewhat unpredictable element, but it would mean that a medium skilled player would be gone.
The Cyan Menace

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30