Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 30

Author Topic: Jack's Simple BYOR: Game over! Town win!  (Read 53419 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Jack's Simple BYOR [12/12]: Day 1 - Contrived Power Explanation
« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2014, 05:36:46 am »

TolyK: Why do you think there are third parties?  Are you a third party?
It isn't really a BYOR without a third party, at least one. I'm not a third party, no.
Also, this covers "Mafia-Ally" as well, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote from: 4maskwolf
Extend: What do you think of the game so far?
Har har. :P

Sadly I don't have time for a better post.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2014, 10:02:46 am »

Persus13: if you had to vote for anyone right now, who would you vote for? Why?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 25, 2014, 10:05:25 am »

flabort
A scum team with a revive is super scary, because if you kill them once, they don't flip; and the very fact that they revive leads credence to their towny-ness, so so they're less likely to be actually wiped out. More likely to survive to the end.
Bolded for emphasis. That's a very interesting statement, how would you know that?

From looking at other mafia games. If a player has a revive, such as in PotM, or, well, I can't find another game where there's a revive at the moment, but I'll come back to you when I do.
But, when a player has a revive and is killed or lynched, it's announced that they die, and that they come back to life. At least as far as I've ever seen, a player with a one use revive does not flip on revival.

If you assumed I was talking about a revive that targets other players, then it's not as scary, because they DID flip; it does mean that there's a high chance of the revived player being scum, but it's easier to figure out.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 25, 2014, 11:22:09 am »

Ottofar What kind of power do you most fear?

Everyone else If you had a night 0 inspection result, and it told you who a scum was, would you reveal right away?

Conversions, then arson. And yes, for mafia, no for 3rd party.

Toaster, a bit perhaps, but not intentionally. There's a reason for lurking.
And, uh, sure. Extend

Flabort, did you just slip scum with revive?

And, uh, sure. Extend

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2014, 01:19:19 pm »

4mask:
Toaster: yes it's nitpicky. I'm trying to make the point "don't always trust your gut".

Do you trust your gut feelings? Has following your gut impression worked in the past?

Maybe nitpicky was the wrong word; it came off more jerky than anything else.  I could be misreading, though.

And typically I don't play on gut, though I won't completely ignore it.

Jiokuy:
Toaster: How do you think the wide variance in player skill will affect the game?

Newtells and scumtells will get confused, and people will need to account for that without giving newer players carte blanche to do what they please.

Hapah:
Toaster: It's been a while! Who do you think is the strongest player in the game? Why?

Me Hm.  Ottofar, when he's not being lurky and inactive, can be insightful.  TolyK makes a good mafioso.  Most other people I've barely played with (and lately I've read few games I haven't played in.)

Flabort:
A scum team with a revive is super scary, because if you kill them once, they don't flip; and the very fact that they revive leads credence to their towny-ness, so so they're less likely to be actually wiped out. More likely to survive to the end.

Where do you get this?  I've never seen a revive be taken as a town tell.

Extend as well.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 25, 2014, 02:08:03 pm »

PFW

Flabort:
Where do you get this?  I've never seen a revive be taken as a town tell.
Is there precedent for the first part? He referenced PotM but I'm strapped for time.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 25, 2014, 02:14:43 pm »

I'm just stating the precedent. Me, I don't have a revive, nor do I know anyone who does this game.
No, I didn't "slip scum". If there's a scum with a revive, though, you don't want to be voting me anyways, because they could win LYLO by default. And MYLO turns into LYLO.

My auto, while I wish it were revive, is that I can't be redirected or randomized.

Ottofar Why would you vote, instead of FoS, the person with two votes on them during RQS? Do you truly intend to lynch me?

Hapah What makes you assume auto revives DON'T work that way? Give me an example of how you think one might work.

Varee I have three votes on me now. I want you to give me reads on the other two voters, and on me. In fact, just put up your reads so far.

PPE: Toaster OK. If a revive is not a town tell, is it a scum tell? Is it a null tell?
The Cyan Menace

PTDfun

• Bay Watcher
  • Blob...
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2014, 02:33:25 pm »

Extend

Ottofar: Would you mind answering my question?
Ottofar: How do you make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?

Conversions, then arson.
What is an arson role?

There's a reason for lurking.
What might that be?

Hapah:
Hapah:
Hapah: Do you expect there to be non-town, non-mafia factions in this game?
I'd be a little surprised if there wasn't at least one. Is that one you?
I'm as vanilla as this game gets. How about yourself? Are you a third party? Do you expect a serial killer variant?
You're getting awfully specific, aren't you? No I'm not and too early to say.
I don't think it is. Just read it like this: "I'm as vanilla as this game gets."
Wand of Not Touching - The target thinks they have been poked. Range of one cm.
I want one of these.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 25, 2014, 03:10:11 pm »

Flabort: Please explain to me how reviving is to be considered a town tell?  What about the fact that they revive makes them inherintly townie?

No, I didn't "slip scum". If there's a scum with a revive, though, you don't want to be voting me anyways, because they could win LYLO by default. And MYLO turns into LYLO.
But if you are the scum with revive, then we should be voting you, no?  How does the possible existance of a scum with revive make you somehow not the man to lynch?

I'm just stating the precedent. Me, I don't have a revive, nor do I know anyone who does this game.
Then why are you asking about it so much?  Have you read a BYOR with a revive, other than the silly Bookthras wall of flesh thing?

My auto, while I wish it were revive, is that I can't be redirected or randomized.
Why do you claim this so early?  Feeling pressured?  There was barely any pressure on you.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 25, 2014, 03:34:53 pm »

Extend.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 25, 2014, 03:47:00 pm »

Extend.
This is incredibly lazy for someone with questions outstanding, particularly when they posted in another mafia game after this. Seriously?

Sorry to sound snippish, first day on job and I'm already screwing things up.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2014, 03:56:56 pm »

Flabort: Please explain to me how reviving is to be considered a town tell?  What about the fact that they revive makes them inherintly townie?

But if you are the scum with revive, then we should be voting you, no?  How does the possible existance of a scum with revive make you somehow not the man to lynch?

Then why are you asking about it so much?  Have you read a BYOR with a revive, other than the silly Bookthras wall of flesh thing?

Why do you claim this so early?  Feeling pressured?  There was barely any pressure on you.
It doesn't make them "inherently" town, it makes them "More likely" town. Because revival, resurrection, is typically associated with the divine, with good. Sure, there's unholy revival (sell your soul, SCP, zombies), but there are more cases of resurrection being good than evil; since roles are based off of articles, the powers have to be based off the articles; there's a higher chance that something divine (Such as "Jesus Christ") was chosen for an article than something evil.

If I were a scum with revive, I wouldn't have mentioned them as something I'm afraid of, would I? I was thinking that, if the scum had a revive, and you mislynched me, the game would effectively be in MYLO afterwards, but I went over the numbers again, and you're fine if you lynch me. Even if the scum have a revive. Even though I'm town.

I wasn't asking about the possibility of a revive at all until someone decided to press a lynch over my answer about it. I've started asking about it for purposes of defending myself. No, I guess in the BYOR's I've read, there haven't been any revives besides the Wall of Flesh.

Yeah. Because I know that in Bay12, that three votes is intent to lynch. That's pressure. So of course I feel pressured. And unless the Extend goes through, there's only a few hours remaining.

PPE Thank you, Persus. Although that's an awfully short post, and you're going to get **** for that, thank you for extending.

PPE2: Yeah, you do sound a little snippish. I know how screwing up at work feels, though, so no problem.
The Cyan Menace

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 25, 2014, 04:11:42 pm »

Any submission could be any alignment.  Evil articles could be town just as easily as good articles, and good articles could be scum just as easily as evil articles.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 25, 2014, 04:18:29 pm »

The volunteers reached a general consensus on one issue: time needed to be distorted even more than it already was.  Luckily, the Wikimedia Foundation had an experimental time distortion machine available for use.  The already 72-hour-long day had 48 more hours added to it.

Votecount:
*Persus13 - 4maskwolf (1)
*flabort - Varee, Hapah, Ottofar (3)
*TolyK - Toaster (1)
*Ottofar - PTDfun (1)
*Varee - (0)
*Toaster - TolyK (1)
*MyOwnWorstEnemy - (0)
*PTDfun - (0)
*EPenguin - (0)
*Jiokuy - (0)
*Hapah - (0)
*4maskwolf  - Jiokuy (1)
Not Voting: Persus13, MyOwnWorstEnemy, EPenguin, flabort

Extension requests: 9/7 (EPenguin, TolyK, flabort, MyOwnWorstEnemy, Hapah, Ottofar, Toaster, PTDfun, Persus13)

The day has been extended!  Day ends 9:00 PM Friday, June 27th, or upon hammer (7 votes).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:20:03 pm by Jack A T »
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 25, 2014, 07:22:58 pm »

@flabort
  You want to know my reads? i can give you parts of it
  flabort-Well it might be bad luck or a slippery slope but the reason i vote you was random d1 vote, then you start asking some "questionable" thing so the other vote you.
 Hapah: well i dont really know what to make of his statements. I feel he might not be direct scum but maybe not town either
 Ottofar- he is like a shadow or a dark force lurking in shadow. seem to pop up randomly with some logic i don't really understand. Maybe he is good but i cant be sure, need to see more of him.
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 30