Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30

Author Topic: Jack's Simple BYOR: Game over! Town win!  (Read 53417 times)

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Jack's Simple BYOR [12/12]: Day 1 - Contrived Power Explanation
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2014, 01:55:49 pm »

Posting From Work.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2014, 03:31:04 pm »

The first 24 hours of the day came to an end, and the volunteers (except EPenguin, who claimed to be used to days that last for whole weeks) were becoming increasingly dependent on the room's one coffee maker.
I'm guessing this is because EPenguin is from Antarctica.

flabort: Thanks for the answers, but actually I meant these ones
Everyone else If you had a night 0 inspection result, and it told you who a scum was, would you reveal right away?
Toaster, TolyK, Varee, PTDfun, EPenguin Those are some very different answers to one question. If each of you had a daykill to use day 1 only, would you use it? Who would you use it on?

Toaster: PTD is fine. It stands for platetheduchess - reference to the scene in Alice in Wonderland where the cook keeps tossing plates at the Duchess. I skimmed half of iPick (BYOR) on the notable games archive last night. I'll take a gander at the other two.

4maskwolf: What do you mean by the following phrase?
Since I be decided to actually play this game after being told my strategy was shit by Jack

Hapah:
Hapah: Do you expect there to be non-town, non-mafia factions in this game?
I'd be a little surprised if there wasn't at least one. Is that one you?
I'm as vanilla as this game gets. How about yourself? Are you a third party? Do you expect a serial killer variant?

PTDFun:
Quote from: PTD
4) I am going to try to learn from my experience of the lynches of last game. In particular, when I joined the BM I expected this game to be more rational than it is.
I haven't read that game, what happened? Bottom-line it for me.
I replaced in after 260+ posts. As soon as I joined, LARD told me he was suspicious because my predecessor was somewhat inactive. I caught up with the game, was active, and build a case against TheDarkStar (he was an overly defensive player and I took this for scumminess). I pushed hard against TheDarkStar. He was replaced by 4maskwolf, who decided to vote against me to create a tie. Then Tiruin jumped on the bandwagon and I got lynched. That night Jack A T got killed. This left 2 inactive players, two active mafia (LARD and Tiruin), and 4maskwolf. I had also said that Tiruin looked scummy early on.

Moral of the story: My gut confused poor play with scumminess. Somewhat inactive scum are harder to get at because I have less to work with. If a player is irrational about their votes they are scummy.

flabort:
PTDfun Who do you suspect of being a third party? Are you going to hunt third parties? Are you a third party? Is hunting third parties relevant to hunting scum?
I don't have any suspects right now. I wasn't planning on outright hunting 3rd parties, but I'd prefer to not lynch a jester and it would be worth knowing about a cult, if there is one. I'm not a third party. It's at least as relevant as POE. I asked the question because I'm new to this type of game. I asked Hapah because he hadn't posted yet.
Too lazy to edit post, so I'm just gonna answer the question. I mean that I'm trying a new strategy after being yelled at for the last one.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 24, 2014, 06:55:14 pm »

@epenguin
My mafia experience is quite limited. As you probably can tell from tel form the what you are reading, i never played on a forum before. My play experience is quite low too, i would say it is not more than a dozen game, some of those are very short too. I hope this is not a problem

Also i havent finish reading yet but it seem the longer into the game we are, the question get... Umm weirder i guess. I feel like it might take time for me to adapt to this forum playstyle.
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

EPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 24, 2014, 08:45:02 pm »

Flabort
I'm pretty much testing if people do have such, yes. And gut feelings do not depend on reading any posts, do they? They're felt with your gut, not your eyes.

No, I don't need links. Interesting, though, I didn't know WotC had a mafia section.
?

You don't think gut feelings have no cause do you? If so, what use are they?

I'm a strong believer in causality. I'm used to defining gut feelings as reads that come about from reading people's interactions, having a feeling about them one way or another even if you can't articulate very clearly what it that's amiss. It might be their demeanor, or something most people consider a null tell.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 24, 2014, 08:59:46 pm »

Hapah: You're a veteran, how many scum members do you think a 12 player game would have?

EPenguin: What's your impression of this style of forum mafia so far?

Varee: How do you plan on surviving until tomorrow?

Flabort: What do you think would be scarier in this game: a one-man cult or a three-man mafia start?

TolyK: Why do you think there are third parties?  Are you a third party?

Extend: What do you think of the game so far?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 24, 2014, 09:02:55 pm »

Flabort: What do you think would be scarier in this game: a one-man cult or a three-man mafia start?

I think the cult would be scarier, but the mafia would be more likely.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 24, 2014, 09:04:16 pm »

I think the cult would be scarier, but the mafia would be more likely.
Do you believe it likely that there are third parties in this game, Flabort?

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
Re: Jack's Simple BYOR: Signups Over, Making Roles [12/12]
« Reply #127 on: June 24, 2014, 09:04:42 pm »

At the time, though, those of the volunteers who were honest knew they had to quickly** stop the three vandals.
I probably should have made this a bit more clear.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jack's Simple BYOR: Signups Over, Making Roles [12/12]
« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2014, 09:06:04 pm »

At the time, though, those of the volunteers who were honest knew they had to quickly** stop the three vandals.
I probably should have made this a bit more clear.
Ah.  Okay.  That clarifies things.

Watch this turn into GBU with me on the losing (town) side.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2014, 09:10:34 pm »

Yes. They don't concern me. What concerns me is the scum. And to that end, I will now ask more questions.

4mask Do you keep notes on who you suspect? Are they any use to you?

MOWE Do you think anyone needs protection tonight? If you could tell any doctor-type roles who to protect tonight, who would you ask them to protect?

EPenguin If you could tell any cop-type roles who to investigate tonight, who would you ask them to investigate?

Hapah If you could tell any roleblocker-type roles who to block tonight, who would you ask them to block?

Varee Not telling me what your one-shot does, if you have a one shot, but you hypothetically had to use it tonight, who would you use it on?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2014, 09:25:29 pm »

Yes. They don't concern me. What concerns me is the scum. And to that end, I will now ask more questions.

4mask Do you keep notes on who you suspect? Are they any use to you?

MOWE Do you think anyone needs protection tonight? If you could tell any doctor-type roles who to protect tonight, who would you ask them to protect?

EPenguin If you could tell any cop-type roles who to investigate tonight, who would you ask them to investigate?

Hapah If you could tell any roleblocker-type roles who to block tonight, who would you ask them to block?

Varee Not telling me what your one-shot does, if you have a one shot, but you hypothetically had to use it tonight, who would you use it on?
I don't keep notes. I find targets by the seat of my pants, so to speak.

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2014, 09:59:17 pm »

MyOwnWorstEnemy Are you sure a protect is the best role for you? I would think that a Jailkeep would fit better. Also, if you were going to buddy somebody for their own protection, who would you buddy?
I prefer to be the support for the strong, so I expect it would be best. I haven't had much experience with roles. I have no clue who I'd "buddy" for their protection. I've got neutral reads on everyone. With that being said, extend.

I'd ask them to protect whoever they think the scum would most likely go after. As for specific people, I don't know.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 24, 2014, 10:57:16 pm »

Votecount:
*Persus13 - (0)
*flabort - Varee (1)
*TolyK - Toaster (1)
*Ottofar - PTDfun (1)
*Varee - (0)
*Toaster - TolyK (1)
*MyOwnWorstEnemy - (0)
*PTDfun - (0)
*EPenguin - (0)
*Jiokuy - (0)
*Hapah - 4maskwolf (1)
*4maskwolf  - Jiokuy (1)
Not Voting: Persus13, Ottofar, MyOwnWorstEnemy, EPenguin, flabort, and Hapah

Extension requests: 4/7 (EPenguin, TolyK, flabort, MyOwnWorstEnemy)

Day ends 9:00 PM Wednesday, June 25th (24 hours from now), or upon hammer (7 votes).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 11:09:28 pm by Jack A T »
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2014, 12:10:07 am »

Extend.

flabort
A scum team with a revive is super scary, because if you kill them once, they don't flip; and the very fact that they revive leads credence to their towny-ness, so so they're less likely to be actually wiped out. More likely to survive to the end.
Bolded for emphasis. That's a very interesting statement, how would you know that?

Hapah If you were a Vig, who would you kill?
N1? Probably nobody if scum lynch, my personal top suspect otherwise.

Hapah:
Hapah: Do you expect there to be non-town, non-mafia factions in this game?
I'd be a little surprised if there wasn't at least one. Is that one you?
I'm as vanilla as this game gets. How about yourself? Are you a third party? Do you expect a serial killer variant?
You're getting awfully specific, aren't you? No I'm not and too early to say.

-edited the quote below for brevity-
Quote from: Flabort
Hapah Hypothetical situation. You are a third party with the goal of making the game last to night 5. You have a oneshot day convert. When do you chose to use it? How do you apply it to make the game last as long as possible?
Your answer doesn't really touch on the emphasized part.
I guess you'd try to take someone that had claimed Cop; if you could convince them to fake a scum inspect on someone you can probably get the target lynched and then bus your Cop after, so that's two lynches.

Hapah: You're a veteran, how many scum members do you think a 12 player game would have?
Probably 8/3/1. Maybe 7/3/2 if Town powers are strong, but I'm not the best at balance. PPE: And definitely 3 scum per Jack

I honestly have no idea. I guess whoever I had a gut read on. Do I know who the blocker is, or is it some sort of abstract "all roleblocks target Player X" sort of thing?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2014, 12:17:33 am »

@mask4 :Well i dont know if i will be alive tmr but am doing my best, as it is in my best interest to stay alive.

@flabort: Well telling you who am using it on might give away some info i dont want to therefore i am afraid to, tell you that i cant answer that.
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30