Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: Roll to Innovate - Turn 31: Crystal Fever!  (Read 16366 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 13: An Expanding Operation
« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2014, 12:59:43 pm »

Ask the price.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2014, 01:11:35 pm »

Ask the price.
"Well ain't you desp'rate to be at sea. This is fresh. 'At'll be 15 shillings."
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2014, 01:50:08 pm »

Well then, retrieve all the shards from the unreactive tree with the help of my helpful helpers. Then engage next set of tests!
Spoiler: Test 11: Deadwood (click to show/hide)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2014, 04:26:17 pm »

Ask the price.
Refrain from buying it just yet--ask if they've had any encounters with larger predators in their lifetimes.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2014, 05:47:44 pm »

Ask the price.
Refrain from buying it just yet--ask if they've had any encounters with larger predators in their lifetimes.
"Encounters aye. Don't hunt 'em. Not good meat. Not as good as 'is here marlin."
My Area

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2014, 06:04:54 pm »

"Well, to be truthful, we haven't time to prepare a handsome fish such as that. What we're really looking for is some bait. But I wish you luck on selling that fish and hope to meet with you again!"
Look for other fishers. Preferably some hunting sharks and other meat-eaters so we can use their bait.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2014, 08:08:39 pm »

Turn 14: Herbalist Under Suspicion

Iktaka Modri
[Remove Shards: Simple=11]With the tree behaving like a normal tree extracting the crystals was easy. The assistants cut holes to the crystal locations, after which Farrek cut them out. Four intact crystals were recovered by this method.

Spoiler: Test 10 Rolls (click to show/hide)
The crystals were reinserted, removed, and inserted a final time, all without eliciting any response from the tree. Neither Modri nor Farrek could observe any obvious physical difference, but Farrek suggested differences might become apparent in the inner structure of the tree if it was cut down and opened up. He did love dissections.

Spoiler: Test 11 Rolls (click to show/hide)
Word was put out that a possible treatment for termites was being attempted, and an infested building was required. A homeowner stepped forward and offered their building, at which point shards were inserted all over the house, 10 in all. All four team members took shifts observing the house carefully, but after a week of constant observation Modri called an end to the test. Farrek pointed out that based off the theory that living beings were needed to provide the energy to power the crystals, it was unlikely that the wood would prove reactive. While they had this discussion they asked the assistants to cut out the crystals. The fools broke 6 of them, and were heavily reprimanded by Farrek.

Modri continued to update her notes, the weeklong observation giving her time to collect her thoughts.
Spoiler: Research Notes (click to show/hide)

- 6 crystals
Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)

George Thain
George was having an adventure!

Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)

Bane Willedhelm
[Fishers of Carnivorous Fish: Moderate=8] This time Bane found a stand selling shark fin soup, manned by two young men. One introduced himself as the cook, the other the fisher. He expressed interest in going out, if a proper arrangement could be agreed upon.

Spoiler:  Assets (click to show/hide)

Herman Tongs
[All Moderate: Frame Mold=3] Herman tried pouring the mold for the frame, but quickly realized he’d actually run out of wax, halting his operation for the moment.

- Wax

Wol Fann
[Human Subject: Moderate=3]The locals were still unequivocally uninterested, and some complaints were brought to the Guild. It sounded like Headmaster Jorun would be stopping by soon…

[More Pig Tests: Moderate=9]The continued testing confirmed the previous results. Red vine and sage definitely obscured memories that surrounded the administration of the toxin.

[Train Dog: Moderate=6]The dog was rather distractible and proved to be difficult to train.

1 Turn till Audit,
My Area

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 14: Herbalist Under Suspicion
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2014, 08:28:56 pm »

((Obvious course of action: Tell the auditor that this is the second time he's given this audit, present the poison as a working product.
Legal course of action: Tell the auditor that the product shows promise in pigs, but without scaling up testing, the product cannot be declared safe for use on humans
That's just what I'd suggest))

The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2014, 08:40:48 pm »

Audit: "Sir, it's perfectly safe for humans, but I NEED a human test subject for this. No damage will be done, but we need to see the effects on memory."
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2014, 09:04:11 pm »

((Obvious course of action: Tell the auditor that this is the second time he's given this audit, present the poison as a working product.
Legal course of action: Tell the auditor that the product shows promise in pigs, but without scaling up testing, the product cannot be declared safe for use on humans
That's just what I'd suggest))
((I don't think Player's been audited yet, just chatted with a group of toxicologists and physiologists. So far the audits have been for Harry and Icy, with Froggy being impossible to audit, cause he's in a cave, and Divide being similarly difficult because he's mostly offsite.))
My Area

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2014, 11:55:10 pm »

((About time I fail a roll.))

Get more wax from somewhere, unless the amount I'll need costs more than 30 shillings, in which case don't.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2014, 12:23:05 am »

"Greetings my friends! I have devised a plan to hunt the largest of prey. Even Korinscove's legendary creatures will stand no match against us. This Mage and I are looking for brave adventurers willing to embark on a hunting trip with us. If we can make this work, we will have discovered a proven method of taking down the beasts and recovering their arcane crystals.."

Try to sound showy, but professional. Make the fishermen look down upon their former lives and seek fame and glory.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2014, 01:00:45 am »

In the period of the next 2 RL weeks, study the differences in internal structure of trees that accept crystals (petition access to more live trees, showing my array of research already performed as justification) and those that do not with the help of my assistants and Farrek. And also research what happens when 3 crystals are inserted into reactive trees, and also the events that occur when 4 crystals are inserted (default method is the horizontal slit method from here on in). Make sure to take all reasonable safety precautions for that escalation test.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2014, 05:52:23 pm »

Turn 15: The Guild’s Blessing

Iktaka Modri
[Access more trees: Moderate=8] Modri went over her notes with representatives from the forestry division, and they felt that her research had real potential to control pests, at least. They offered up a stand of fifteen trees for her to research, on the condition that the stand be given back with crystal embedded trees, and as few losses as possible.

Spoiler: Research Notes (click to show/hide)

+15 Trees
Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)

George Thain
George was having an adventure!

Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)

Bane Willedhelm
[Sell them on Glory: Moderate=7] The fishermen consulted briefly after Bane’s speech, and then made their decision. They would join him if they got their choice of the cuts of meat after the hunt.

Herman Tongs
[More Wax: Moderate=7]It cost Herman 25 shillings, but that wasn’t much compared to his allowance. And he needed the wax.

+ Wax, -25 shilllings

Wol Fann
[Argue it’s safe for humans: Moderate=9] Grandmaster Jorun predictably stopped by, and Wol was prepared. He repeated his test with the pigs, demonstrating that they survived the toxin, and it seemed to have the intended effect. He also elaborated on the fact that the memory of pigs was difficult to measure; humans were more suited. Finally he handed the floor over to the toxicologist, who explained that pigs and humans had many similarities with regards to toxins, and the safety of the test should not change by being administered to humans. Luckily Jorun failed to take notice of the pile of dead rats in the corner…

Wol would be allowed to continue his experiment, and he was given 30 guild credits to fairly compensate any who chose to participate, as well as the blessing of the Guild, which should assuage any fears.

+30 Guild credits
My Area

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 15: The Guild's Blessing
« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2014, 05:53:32 pm »

Find a human, and get him ready for testing.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16