Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 156460 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: Righteous Idignation Edition.
« Reply #1650 on: May 02, 2014, 02:08:18 am »

...avoid killing civilians, neutralize as many terrorists as possible
They're kinda the same thing here, but that probably depends on point of view. ;)

It seems nobody makes a distinction between actual native self-defense forces sneakily supplied with foreign weapons but still fighting for their own cause, and actual foreign soldiers anymore.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: May 02, 2014, 02:15:58 am »

Only Russians can call this guy
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
a civilian.

What I am afraid of is that (pro)Russian forces inside Slovyansk will start blow stuff around following order to get as many civilian casualties as possible  and blame Ukrainian army afterwards.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: May 02, 2014, 02:39:39 am »

Only Russians can call this guy
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
a civilian.
Clothes do not a man military make. If anything, military people in civilian clothing are much more dangerous.

I do agree that he has some apparel that I wouldn't expect to see on a "retrofitted civilian" (what looks like a radio on the back of his belt is suspect), but for the most part all he's got are unmarked military fatigues, a cheap flak vest and a rocket launcher. Being objective here - you can't tell whether the guy is a soldier or an armed civilian, and what country he's opposing, if any. The picture does its best to provide context, but all it does is play into the bias of the viewer - people see what they want to see, not what is shown. The nature of the current political military (can't call it any other way) means that actual combatants on either side will do their best not to look like anything.

What I am afraid of is that (pro)Russian forces inside Slovyansk will start blow stuff around following order to get as many civilian casualties as possible  and blame Ukrainian army afterwards.
Well, they seem to be doing a pretty good job of not doing it so far. I mean, there's only so much you can do to affect the trajectory of the helicopter you shoot down, and additional missiles to change it course via proximity explosions are kinda costly. :P

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: Righteous Idignation Edition.
« Reply #1653 on: May 02, 2014, 02:56:53 am »

It's hilarious how the entire Ukraine army cannot capture 1 (one) city with about a hundred "terrorists".
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: May 02, 2014, 03:33:14 am »

an armed civilian
LOL
Besides any sane person understands that core of that forces are well trained men, not random guys that got weapons in their hands

It's hilarious how the entire Ukraine army cannot capture 1 (one) city with about a hundred "terrorists".
Well, Luckily Russian methods with carpet bombing own cities (Chechnya) is not used by Ukrainian army (not that Army seriously involved in fighting. It is national guard, police and Secret Service's special unit who do most of the job)

And I really like this. That is video in Russian were little black men announce hunting on little green men in Kharkiv region
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 03:35:01 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1655 on: May 02, 2014, 04:34:32 am »

With all due respect Sergarr, a lot of countries would have problems re-capturing cities held by armed personnel when they are under constant pressure by a bigger neighboring country that threatens military intervention if they take any action against said armed personnel.  Especially if this bigger country has a sizable military force amassed along your borders to back it's threats.

And especially if said bigger country do not recognize those armed personnel as such but rather brand them as civilians. I could be wrong on this one though. Feel free to provide a source when any Russian official called those armed people "non-civilians" or such, I would honestly welcome this info.

Clothes do not a man military make. If anything, military people in civilian clothing are much more dangerous.

I do agree that he has some apparel that I wouldn't expect to see on a "retrofitted civilian" (what looks like a radio on the back of his belt is suspect), but for the most part all he's got are unmarked military fatigues, a cheap flak vest and a rocket launcher. Being objective here - you can't tell whether the guy is a soldier or an armed civilian, and what country he's opposing, if any. The picture does its best to provide context, but all it does is play into the bias of the viewer - people see what they want to see, not what is shown. The nature of the current political military (can't call it any other way) means that actual combatants on either side will do their best not to look like anything.
True, there is still no absolute evidence this armed people are any sort of professional military. A lot of speculation, yes, but let's play the devil's advocate and say we can't be certain until any major player in this game actually confirms those people were trained by them. Even then, if for example, these people are willing volunteers trained and supplied by Russian government, one could still argue they are not military until they officially declare allegiance to some form of established, recognized authority. Strictly speaking.

Still, question remains - how do you classify those people? Freedom fighters? Self-defense units? Terrorists? I can't say they are civilians, sorry. If anything, they fall under "militia" definition. Or weapon enthusiasts, heh? Downing a helicopter is a bit of an accomplishment for seemingly untrained, popular-revolution types.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: May 02, 2014, 04:35:21 am »

I wish we had a referendum question as biased as the Donetsk one in Scotland.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: May 02, 2014, 05:34:34 am »

With all due respect Sergarr, a lot of countries would have problems re-capturing cities held by armed personnel when they are under constant pressure by a bigger neighboring country that threatens military intervention if they take any action against said armed personnel.  Especially if this bigger country has a sizable military force amassed along your borders to back it's threats.
This. It's pretty hypocritical to make fun of the Ukrainian army in this situation, especially if you've been arguing the pro-Russian side.
With this diplomatic situation, no Western nation is going send special commandos to liberate the OSCE hostages either, as they would try if these were just ordinary terrorists.

That the rebels manage to down 2 helicopters at least shows that they are much better armed than your average concerned citizen.
Also Russian reaction is predictable but worrying:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27250026
Russia says Kiev's actions "killed the last hope" for a deal agreed last month in Geneva aimed at defusing the crisis.
President Vladimir Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov also described Ukraine's operation as "punitive".
Russia's foreign ministry earlier warned that any assaults by Ukraine's troops in the region would have "catastrophic consequences", triggering fears of an invasion by Moscow.
Separately, reports are coming in that several foreign journalists have been detained in Sloviansk.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/02/us-ukraine-crisis-idUSBREA400LI20140502
Noting that Putin had warned before that any "punitive operation" would be a "criminal act", Dmitry Peskov told Russian news agencies that this was what had now happened at Slaviansk, where separatists seeking independence or annexation by Moscow are holding seven foreign European military observers.
Saying Putin had sent an envoy, Vladimir Lukin, to southeast Ukraine to negotiate their release, Peskov said that Lukin had not been heard from since the Ukrainian operation began.
"While Russia is making efforts to de-escalate and settle the conflict, the Kiev regime has turned to firing on civilian towns with military aircraft and has begun a punitive operation, effectively destroying the last hope of survival for the Geneva accord," he said, referring to a deal on April 17 signed by Russia, Ukraine, the United States and the European Union.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 06:00:12 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: May 02, 2014, 05:52:56 am »

Still, question remains - how do you classify those people? Freedom fighters? Self-defense units? Terrorists? I can't say they are civilians, sorry. If anything, they fall under "militia" definition. Or weapon enthusiasts, heh? Downing a helicopter is a bit of an accomplishment for seemingly untrained, popular-revolution types.
Unfortunately I kinda treat being "military" as a binary thing, meaning specifically "being in one nation's military", and a "civilian" is a typical antonym to "military" in my vernacular. So yeah, my terminology is off, sorry. They don't quite fit the label of "terrorists", as much as the Ukrainian government is eager to apply it though, so somewhere between a "freedom fighter" and a "self-defense fighter" might work. Is there such a thing as a "self-determination fighter"? They're not really fighting for freedom per se, they're fighting for, or think they're fighting for, some sort of right to self-determination, to prevent their ideological identity from being overridden by the existing government. "Identity self-defense fighters"?

Before UR interjects here, I mean this assuming they're not military, as so far they're like little green ninjas. Highly visible little green/brown ninjas. Everybody knows they're out there and fighting, but nobody can tell who they really are and whose orders they are following, if anyone's. Speculation abound, of course. :)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1660 on: May 02, 2014, 06:02:17 am »

Militia is a neutral term. Civilians that've been armed and are acting in a military fashion.
Typed it into google, top two definitions:
1. A military force that is raised from the civil population to supplement a regular army in an emergency.

2. A military force that engages in rebel or terrorist activities, typically in opposition to a regular army.

Meanwhile, the 'self-defence units' of Crimea were russian soldiers, and it's kinda hard to differentiate them when they might be (aka: are) operating together with foreign military & even dress similarly.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/02/us-ukraine-crisis-idUSBREA400LI20140502
Noting that Putin had warned before that any "punitive operation" would be a "criminal act", Dmitry Peskov told Russian news agencies that this was what had now happened at Slaviansk, where separatists seeking independence or annexation by Moscow are holding seven foreign European military observers.
Saying Putin had sent an envoy, Vladimir Lukin, to southeast Ukraine to negotiate their release, Peskov said that Lukin had not been heard from since the Ukrainian operation began.
"While Russia is making efforts to de-escalate and settle the conflict, the Kiev regime has turned to firing on civilian towns with military aircraft and has begun a punitive operation, effectively destroying the last hope of survival for the Geneva accord," he said, referring to a deal on April 17 signed by Russia, Ukraine, the United States and the European Union.
I'm curious, how did this envoy enter the country?

-A brief spat of googling later,
Seems like he's a cool human rights guy.
This is the closest I've found on his entry, which just says he was 'sent' back in february*.
http://en.ria.ru/russia/20140220/187727820/Putin-Offers-Ombudsman-as-Mediator-to-Ukraine.html

The most I've seen about cooperation with the Ukrainian gov is 'telephoning yanukovich' which is...not the most valid form of permission.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 06:20:12 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: May 02, 2014, 06:27:07 am »

I think what Sean means is that Russian forces seem to not entirely be composed of actual soldiers. There are plenty of ordinary people, just in uniforn and with guns.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: May 02, 2014, 06:30:31 am »

Well, "Some random guy in uniform with a gun" match my definition of soldier pretty well. :p

Anyway, I'm wondering how that man was supposed to get into Ukraine, since the Ukrainian government banned entry to Russian and Crimean of fighting age.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1663 on: May 02, 2014, 06:34:26 am »

I'd postulate he crossed the sieve-like border with the rest of the Russians. But that's stating the obvious.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: May 02, 2014, 06:35:26 am »

I mean ordinary people as in "without proper training and not really obeying orders, so there's a colossal potential for stupid actions."
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 136