Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 46

Author Topic: Launch the Mobile Suit!! - The Gravity Front  (Read 60728 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Launch the Mobile Suit!! - Always in Need of Testers!
« Reply #510 on: July 18, 2014, 03:26:21 pm »

Okay, so, problem for me, I don't think the computer I'm on has any image editing software I know how to use. So, the two solutions I can think of is either everyone puts me in a desirable position or we can wait until I get back on my main.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #511 on: July 18, 2014, 03:36:25 pm »

^^If you just tell us where you want to be at I'm sure someone can mark where you are.

The guntanks are about 15 and the GMs 18+ meters in height. You guys are all taller than the residential buildings (they're small, with red, blue and blackish rooftops) which all look to be about two stories tall, so they don't provide cover unless you're crouching. It'd reach up to around an upright GM's knees I think. The bluish silver and white high rises block line of sight and can be used as cover.
Yeah I'll crouch down and use the building to steady my gun, obviously they won't see the GM huddled with a massive cannon behind a tiny house, obviously.
Okay then I guess the houses are useless.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 18, 2014, 03:39:01 pm »

D: I was making a joke about how I was likely gonna get shot at first for being a massive target not that it was dumb to count them as cover, they really do make sense to use as cover so long as the unit's crouched down.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 18, 2014, 03:40:54 pm »

Behind that office building way out of the town I suppose.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #514 on: July 18, 2014, 04:17:15 pm »

D: I was making a joke about how I was likely gonna get shot at first for being a massive target not that it was dumb to count them as cover, they really do make sense to use as cover so long as the unit's crouched down.
>:3

In all seriousness I wonder if anything fired by a mobile suit would be slowed down by passing through a middle class home. You can use em' as cover though.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 18, 2014, 04:56:19 pm »

I call BS on those measurements, for the record. Whether it'll matter is unlikely.

Looking at the image, with the knowledge that the cannons are 120mm, and using a rough approximation of the barrels relative width at the end, which should be about 120mm, or 12 cm, I found that the Guntank is more likely to be about 2.5 meters tall, not counting the antenna.

What was scary was that when I tried to found the height of the antenna and account for it, they turned out to be exactly 3.6 meters tall. Which was creepy.

In any case, that would be a waste of height if it was really 15 meters tall, particularly for the guntank. Not to mention risky for the occupants, since they can't obviously can't take cover anymore. But I mean; how many tons of material, for just 2 120mm cannons? And it's meant to operate as an artillery piece anyway? Lacking the speed and maneuverability the bipeds supposedly get which makes up for being a stupendously large target, and the melee weaponry that would make it's 'hands' of some sort of use?

If the Guntank is piloted in the traditional way similar to Gundam suits, I can see zero reason for them designing it in such a manner, besides trying to look cool.

Goddarn military designers these days, I tell you what...

EDIT: *facepalm* Meanwhile the guns themselves have barrels approximately as long as the Guntank is tall...3.6 meter long barrels...that's actually pretty short, compared to real life tanks(Abrams is about 5 meters long, and the tank itself is 2.4 meters tall).

So Guntank is extremely efficient, if it's small, being tiny and bearing a humanlike shape to accomodate for the operator inside, though it would be useful mostly for urban combat as anti-armor and tank hunter roles. Also it would probably knock itself over with the recoil but whatevs.

SECONDEDIT: While the height's probably accurate, the barrel length's probably a bit longer than what I calculated since it's a 3/4 view.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:09:52 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 18, 2014, 05:15:02 pm »

canon appearances in the animations override your height assumptions. These measurements weren't pulled out of thin air, they're from the official stats in Gundam UC canon. The people who wrote their stats probably didn't work that closely with the series artists admittedly, but that's not the point.

Also it's hard to tell from the images Guni posted, but there's a fair bit of extra thickness around the barrel. More importantly see the size of the cockpit?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:39:58 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 18, 2014, 05:31:14 pm »

More evidence that the measures in Gundam are shit:

The machine guns used by the Zakus are chambered for 120mm. Yes, the same diameter/radius/whatever of shells used by the guntanks. Which are only 2~ meters shorter than a Zaku. I don't know either.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #518 on: July 18, 2014, 05:37:23 pm »

There aren't fixed barrel lengths to go with the size of the bore. It can be shorter to make it compact or longer for extra riflings. The guntanks cannons can be that long because it's on such a wide base. A mobile suit couldn't balance whilst carrying such a long weapon..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o201ZHFpvYI

The wiki says it's overall height is 15.6 meters, and that the GM is 18.6. The wiki information is ripped from the Gundam bibles, published by the creators, so there's simply no arguing with it.

How can you calculate the height of the guntank from the width of the gun barrels anyways? I don't even know how that works.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 18, 2014, 05:54:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Anyone have any objections to my choice?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 18, 2014, 05:57:03 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o201ZHFpvYI

I'd like to mention how unintentionally hilarious those videos can be. The video for a GM variant talks about how wonderful and important they were to the Federation, and in the background the footage shows them getting absolutely slaughtered at every turn. :P

You're in a guntank, so... You definitely need to be back some more. The enemy suit will be coming in from the northish, so you're too close to the line of fire as an artillery/support mech. Let the GMs maintain the line and take the brunt of the fire.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 18, 2014, 06:03:10 pm »

You're in a guntank, so... You definitely need to be back some more. The enemy suit will be coming in from the northish, so you're too close to the line of fire as an artillery/support mech. Let the GMs maintain the line and take the brunt of the fire.
Gotcha. I'l think a bit and post my edited position later.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 18, 2014, 06:07:28 pm »

I measured by looking at what I could tell of the internal diameter of the gun bore, which, now that I have a larger and more accurate picture, gives measurements for my calculations that tell me the Guntank is approximately 4 meters tall. Probably a little taller than that, given that the perspective would mean the end of the barrel would be closer to us than the rest of the Gundam, but still.

Not everyone believes in Word of God mentality, Gunin. :P (ignoring the multiple universes dilemna series like these end up having which makes the whole point moot since it's true in some universe, just one that hasn't been written up yet) Besides which, the appearance obviously belies either the true caliber of the weaponry, or the fact that everyone is actually smurfs.

And Gunin, it's simple how to measure. I find the diameter of the interior of the gun barrel in pixels, then I compare that length in pixels to the overall size of the guntank in pixels, and multiply the divided result by the known caliber of the weapon.

Like I said, I didn't expect my calling of bullshit to make a difference, just pointing out the discrepancies.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 18, 2014, 06:09:49 pm »

Well cool the nitpicking down a bit or you're gonna make yourself sounding like GWG ok?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 18, 2014, 06:12:00 pm »

I like poking fun at the silly little things shows like these make, is all. Unless you guys are truly upset by it or something, I don't see how it's harming anything. :P If you're really that concerned about it I can stop, but I probably won't have much if anything to talk about then. :/
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 46