Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 210905 times)

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #270 on: March 25, 2015, 10:00:13 am »

Enemies will not use taunt, we could not really see a way to make that work as it would take away too much control from the player.

The usual solution is to give your brothers a penalty to attack if they are attacking anyone but the taunting enemy, I believe. But I have no idea if it would work here.

I like this solution to it. Taking away control from the player is generally Bad Form (notably exception would be something like a massive morale break resulting in a rout), but shaping the player's behavior through incentives is good.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 25, 2015, 03:20:33 pm »

April!? But...but...April is like a whole week away...that's ages! ;)

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 25, 2015, 03:49:16 pm »

Love you guys. I'm really stoked for the EA!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 06:48:43 am by rumpel »

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Battle Brothers - A turn based strategy RPG
« Reply #274 on: March 31, 2015, 02:50:21 am »

You beat me to it ;)

Early Access preview Let's Play Part 1

We can not give you the Early Access yet but we have the second best thing: A new Let's Play series!

The build we are showing is pretty close to the version you will get in the EA and we will not add any more major features. We are mostly bug-hunting and improving the overall balance of the game by now. If you are wondering if you should buy the EA and support us or not, check out this video and then decide!

So here are the adventures, fortunes and(mostly) misfortunes of "The Red Hogs":

Battle Brothers - A turn based strategy RPG
Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 02, 2015, 06:35:12 am »

Your let's plays are so enjoyable! :)

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 04, 2015, 06:57:41 pm »

Part two is out, might I advise having the ability to take on more than just one contract at a time? Maybe three at most?
EDIT: You also may want to give some XP for damage. Also, will Battle Brothers acquire more traits over time?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 07:11:53 pm by Elfeater »
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

pedrousz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 04, 2015, 08:00:05 pm »

I'm interested since is turn based but I'm afraid that it might get boresome when you have to micro like 10 units on a big map. I didn't watched the lets play yet, but I will definitely check it out on after some months of EA.

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 05, 2015, 08:11:33 am »

Thanks for the feedback!

@Elfeater: Experience right now is granted for both surviving combat at all and for actually killing an enemy. So even if you do not do anything during a fight, you are still rewarded XP so you do not have to micromanage that much and "distribute" kills.

We think it is working quite nicely right now but granting xp for damage maybe helps spreading the xp a bit more evenly.

@pedrousz: Make sure to check that LP as it will give you a good impression of what the EA will contain. For now you can only have one mercenary company with up to twelve Battle Brothers in a single game so things are still very manageable. We want to really focus on the individuals almost like in a role-playing game and keep the whole thing to a rather small scale for now. For later we are contemplating about a unit roster where you can have more than 12 mercenaries and the wounded ones have to stay out of combat until healed (like in xcom).
Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 05, 2015, 08:14:36 am »

Before i forget, here is the link to the second Let's Play episode:

Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #280 on: April 08, 2015, 01:45:55 pm »

I am getting more and more excited for this. I'd kind of not read much about it, not entirely sure why, but now that I've done it and seen the LP's, it seems to be a great mix of persistence, wargaming and TBS RPG. A little like XCOM!

Since I am a huge sucker for meta-games and persistence across individual "levels" or "battles"... how dynamic will the world truly be? I mean, will towns change allegiance, be damaged/destroyed, be conquered? I feel like M&B got close to the level of dynamics that I'd love to see in a game, but fell short.

I understand there's an overarching linearish campaign, again kind of like XCOM, but please consider making an open-world version too! Having your own faction and conquering others slowly would be super fun :)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 08, 2015, 02:22:34 pm »

I'll also post to watch.
I've been popping in and out of looking at this, but now I'm really interested. I love it when big ideas actually become complex games, and don't just get trimmed off the edges to appeal to the mass casuals.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 09, 2015, 02:47:36 am »

@anvilfolk

The game in the EA state will be pretty "sandboxish" and will give the player a lot of freedom and just a little guidance. For the final release, we also do not have a linear campaign but more of an open world gameplay planned.

Cities and villages will be destructible at some point but we are not really sure on the M&B faction based gameplay. Right now we rather imagine the player with an alignment to the humans and the humans do currently not fight among each other (except for the bandits obviously). There are just so many external threats with the bandits, orcs, undead and beasts that the humans would have a really hard time if they also fought among each other.
But keep in mind that we are not finally decided on this and may change our minds depending on Early Access feedback :)
Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #283 on: April 09, 2015, 11:27:51 pm »

Thanks for the answer! I'll be eagerly awaiting EA then :)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 10, 2015, 10:24:16 am »

@anvilfolk

The game in the EA state will be pretty "sandboxish" and will give the player a lot of freedom and just a little guidance. For the final release, we also do not have a linear campaign but more of an open world gameplay planned.

Cities and villages will be destructible at some point but we are not really sure on the M&B faction based gameplay. Right now we rather imagine the player with an alignment to the humans and the humans do currently not fight among each other (except for the bandits obviously). There are just so many external threats with the bandits, orcs, undead and beasts that the humans would have a really hard time if they also fought among each other.
But keep in mind that we are not finally decided on this and may change our minds depending on Early Access feedback :)

Factional infighting sounds like a great idea for an expansion pack. Whilst I know the trend is DLC these days, I feel that BB would really benefit from a big expansion pack post launch (much like clockwork empires is hoping to release a naval expansion).
Something like a new race, factional infighting and a few other bits all in one package would be well worth a good chunk of money and a great way to extend interest.

You'd have more time to work on it and, as an expansion, it'd also be something that could be mainly targeted towards experienced players.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 98