Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 224857 times)

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Miya's Hubris
« Reply #1815 on: January 29, 2016, 11:01:00 am »

Brain Preservation Suit Upgrade
It senses when the wearer dies, then it pumps their head full of chemicals and submerges it in biogel. Exactly like the "brain box" except fully automated, and only works on the person wearing it.

You missed this.

Here's a deathtube. It's heavily based on Spazyak's design, so he gets any credit and tokens this makes.
Kinetic charge carbine
-Build a force infuser into a small rifle body. Uses Con. 2 tokens.
-A gauss piston repeatedly slams into the force infuser, charging kinetic battery. 1 token.
-Dial on the side lets you select the amount of kinetic energy to use for a shot.
-Fires any gauss rifle ammo.
-Total 3 token cost.

Do you see any problems with this?
It would take at most a couple seconds charging for a gauss rifle power shot. How long do you think it would take to crack milnoplate? Battlesuit? Assaultsuit? Avatar of war?

Yay, I did something usefull for once.
 Though I wonder if the gauss rifle's overcharge settings could be implemented into this? Also seems that the design coule be modified to fire things like grenades or gas pellets by switching out the tub that holds the amunition
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: January 29, 2016, 10:30:03 pm »

Monoblades:
1)I get what you mean.  It'll have advantages and disadvatages compared to both the traditional monosword and your previous design.  This design will probably have the best damage when used correctly, but still has the disadvantage of the projector being closer to your foe (and therefore easier to damage) compared to the original monosword, and it will be harder to use than your previous design.  None of this means it is inferior, just different.  Of course, PW's interpretation may end up being different in-game, but that applies to everything.

Armor:
3)...Okay, so by lattice you mean something like this, right?  The strength reduction would be significant.  It's easier to shear a bar than it is to shear an entire plate.  No getting around that.

4)Yeah, I thought you had meant the hexsand would be like the reflective fibers in BS plate.  Basically, I thought you were trying to replace the metal in warplate with hexbug.  What you're trying to do would work better, though it wouldn't be able to eat plasma, unless you're making it so thick the hexbug reinforcement doesn't matter.  I'm thinking having some connection between different masses of hexsand does not combine their energy eating properties, else we could just have a massive ball of hexsand inside the suit, and have tendrils leading to paint-thick exterior armor layers.

5)Okay.  Ask him how hexbug performs at temperatures of a few K.  I feel like hexbug would do well because it doesn't seem to be ductile at all at normal temps, but I honestly just don't know.  Also, explain to me how you'll insulate the cockpit.

As for price, I'll say that a single solid layer of hexbug with implanted cryo cylinders is equal in cost to a mobility AS' armor, and is as bulky as a normal AS' armor.  Council'll probably change that.

Headcrab:
6)Uh.  Okay.  I have no idea if a limb collector can work on an entire body, so ask PW about that.  While you're at it, ask what the required physical dimensions of a limb collector are, because I'm not sure one can comfortably fit on a braincase.  Lastly, what type of blade do you wanna put on this?  FF, monowire, normal knife?

Note:It is best if you remove excess quotes from your posts if they aren't needed for context, because I generally won't.  I write these up in a text file and then add in the quotes afterward.  This post wasn't a problem, but I could easily see this typeof thing creating some bad quote pyramids if left unchecked.

Monoblades seem finished so we'll skip those and get nik to review them or something.

Ablative Armor
3.)That picture... not nearly what i was thinking of. :P
what i meant was something like this, but extending into a full plate shaped object, where the struts are thicker and made of hexbug and the empty spaces are filled with hexsand.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

4.) yeah this is a seperate armor layer, if i get it working right i might stick it behind my warplate to form something seriously beefy, but im not gonna mess with that when i know it already works.
The hexsand in this new armor as you can hopefully now see isnt a series of interconnected segments, its a big block of energy eating goodness that has some structural reinfocements to keep it from shattering at the first sign of trouble.
probably gonna aim for a 60/40 ratio of bug to sand as the kinetics have more impact so to speak.
Cryotic Armor
5.)Not quite sure about the insulation yet, i was simply checking to see if the armor itself was feasible.
Im thinking something along the lines of venting waste heat through or along the cockpits exterior plating, that way it keeps the cockpit warm and the cryotic rods cant force the armor itself all the way down to near zero kelvin.

Headcrab
6.) yeah word of piecewise would probably help
i dont really see any issues regarding the size of the port, its an adaptive material that can flow out and resize itself so you could probably get it to squish itself into a little ball or something when its not connected to anything.
Normal steel blade, that and the stock laser should get you the access you need.

((i feel like i need to explain my things better.))

3)Ah, okay.  My mind wasn't sure what exact shape you meant by "lattice", and the picture I posted was what the internet gave me.

4)60/40... hmm.  Well, small arms kinetics will crack the hexsand portion, but it'll mostly remain in position.  Biggest problem is that cracks will weaken the hexsand's energy resistance.  Heavy kinetics like the HGC will crumple the lattice and make a decent hole in the armor, though not destroy an entire section like with warplate.  AP kinetics like the PSL will penetrate and destroy... Eh, two layers; hexbug primarily resists the initial penetration due to its hardness, and an external explosion isn't nearly as bad as an internal explsion.  Lasers won't touch it, but plasma will eat through it somewhat, and will eat through it quite quickly if it's been cracked.  Plasma projector would get through... oh, two layers.  Three if the first is severely cracked.

5)Once you've decided on insulation method, explain it to me.  You're not gonna avoid 0 kelvin armor though--the cryotic rods instantly drain all heat within their radius.

Also, while processing Nik's action, I actually looked up the rods.  PW said they stop functioning when encased in material; they need some space to operate, for some reason.  So your armor has to be partially hollow.

Ah, screw it. Tinkering to the very end! ((And Maurice doesn't have a shock implant. :P ))

@syvarris
Well, I did not use the bullet points, because those was never meant as separate things. More of a lump arguments. Also, I'd really like to finish Brisant here before Maurice is executed by Ulrich, since no one would ever care to deal with it later.

I am fine with the current/carbine versions for new Brisant (no mortar one, it was silly, I guess).

My arguments (not to be taken separately, but bulleted for your convenience):
  • Better generators. Yeah, we have them. Just like 2x stronger exoskeletons and better fuels that came from the same research. I believe the official reason for that was that we had been still using the Altered Wars-era designs and tech almost everywhere, and no one cared to upgrade them since then. So yes, now we have them, they are significantly better (don't know how much - TPU we have were given far earlier; but, as you said, Piecewise doesn't deal with "slight improvements"), and I think it's appropriate as an argument to lower the cost. (I mean, Piecewise himself approved this tech when he gave it to us.)
  • Hex-something (pure hex? hexsand? whichever works better) for barrel coating - to deal away with friction and extra damage to the barrel itself from the firing. More economical in the longer view, if anything (to reduce the support "repair" costs).
  • Hexsand for insulation and as heatsink for the charging circuit - to reduce the wear, again.
  • Cold-rods (fragments - I recall that they work if they are "under the specific size" and fragmenting preserves their qualities), if economically viable, as an alternative heatsinks tech (vs. the option above).

With the above arguments in mind, I would like to bring Brisant price down to 2 tokens. Do you think it is reasonable, or not?

1.Exoskeletons got their price reduced in half when the roll system changed, to account for the fact that they were less useful.  We used the "They're twice as strong now, but we decided to make them half cost rather than double strength." as an in-universe excuse for why this was done.  The better fuels never had any in-game effect--just check the Mk.III's page history if you don't believe me.  The generators have never affected anything before you brought them up to try and cheapen the Brisant.  The only direct effect from those improved techs was in the Assaultsuit, and I designed the assaultsuit.  Check Emp's sig if you don't understand why that invalidates it.
2.Hexground was literally frictionless, so I'm assuming you mean that.  While it might improve efficiency, it won't help wear, because IIRC overcharges deform the coils, not the barrel.  Either way, adding metamaterials isn't going to make the design cheaper.
3.Okay, this would actually make the gun last longer without damage.  It's still an expensive metamaterial, though, and would fetch a price increase.
4.Coldrods lose their cooling ability below a minimal size.  They also cool things to absolute 0, making them flawed crystals, which is a very bad thing both for grenades and barrels.  Notably, this *would* make the coils into superconductors, but that's probably not worth having a gun that shatters upon being fired.

So no.  You have not convinced me the Brisant should be cheaper.

Brain Preservation Suit Upgrade
It senses when the wearer dies, then it pumps their head full of chemicals and submerges it in biogel. Exactly like the "brain box" except fully automated, and only works on the person wearing it.

You missed this.

Here's a deathtube. It's heavily based on Spazyak's design, so he gets any credit and tokens this makes.
Kinetic charge carbine
-Build a force infuser into a small rifle body. Uses Con. 2 tokens.
-A gauss piston repeatedly slams into the force infuser, charging kinetic battery. 1 token.
-Dial on the side lets you select the amount of kinetic energy to use for a shot.
-Fires any gauss rifle ammo.
-Total 3 token cost.

Do you see any problems with this?
It would take at most a couple seconds charging for a gauss rifle power shot. How long do you think it would take to crack milnoplate? Battlesuit? Assaultsuit? Avatar of war?

Brain Preservation Suit Upgrade:
Sorry about that.

2t, 1t if your suit already has medical systems (MkII or better).  The 1t version improves your suit to have a headchopping iris.  I don't remember if MCPIs have med injection ports, but if not, this adds them.  Everything is helmet mounted, making the helmet even more bulbous, but that way you still only have to rescue the head.

Kinetic charge carbine:

"Carbine", heh.

The primary problem I see is that you're assuming the force infuser can be machine-operated.  Please provide a PW quote stating that such a thing is possible, unless you want the gun to be combination con/exo.

Also, you should ask PW if the Infuser has any limitations on capacity, and if it can expend only a portion of its power at a time.  And if it has any inefficiency.

As for damage by charge...

@Spazy
Overcharge function can't be incorporated without adding the coils back in, which would raise the price by two tokens.  It wouldn't help much, anyway--your design is perfectly capable of destroying itself, given time to charge.

That was a damn good idea, though.  If the force infuser can be machine-operated, I'm definitely gonna try and use it to make reactionless jetboots.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: January 30, 2016, 12:35:04 am »

Why can't  a force infuser be machine operated, you would have to create a sort of artificial brain that would tell it to use a certain amount of force which can be decided based on a dial

also one only needs to have a part of the force infuser in contact with them. So one could take the part that would normal contact the user's skin and put it in the grip of the gun allowing for it to still be used and controlled like a normal force infuser.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 12:20:12 pm by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sig-texts!

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: January 30, 2016, 07:32:28 am »

I accept this failure. Then, for 3-token upgraded Brisant, what are the options that you would allow? Two variants, as discussed; what of meta-material upgrades, etc.?

Also, for the record, the fuels also never did anything because we never specified to use them. No, really, we never explicitly stated that. I intended to rectify that with MCP-III, but I probably won't be able to - so please just don't dismiss this in the future just because it never seemed to have an effect. I can even check how significant the benefit was with Piecewise in the Poke thread, if you wouldn't take that as a syvving attempt.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: January 30, 2016, 04:01:29 pm »

I know buddy, I know. We can glare at pw's general direction together as we struggle through this. Turn spoilered for length.

I will be posting council results in hep OOC to prevent clutter here. It would also be very helpful if people who have stuff ready for council checking post their full write-up in there and indicate that it's ready for council review.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 04:28:30 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1820 on: January 30, 2016, 06:57:27 pm »

We could also look into making the ship into 'modules' that can reattach once shipped, but that seems like an engineering nightmare
I dunno about that. Isn't that how we built stuff like the ISS? Isn't it how they plan to build large vessels if humanity doesn't get a space elevator or off-world mining and construction any time soon? Even if you've got future tech available, I don't see why you wouldn't want a modular design for non-military vessels.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: January 30, 2016, 08:58:27 pm »

@Paris:It is.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: January 31, 2016, 04:54:18 pm »

Kinetic Charge Carbine:
I mostly chose carbine because it sounds wonderfully alliterative  :P

Spoiler: Questions and Answers! (click to show/hide)
So it's most likely a con/exo weapon. I'm waiting for a reply from PW on how exactly the con/exo works and if it can be made pure con.

How about a barrel made of that frictionless material, that should allow higher power shots without damaging the barrel I think.
How well would it work and much would it cost?

Dual brain saver backpack:
How about a version that can hold 2 heads instead of 1? I don't think it has to be twice as large, nor twice as expensive since presumably some of the components can be shared between both heads.

Slip'n'slide boots:
Make the bottom of a pair of boots out of our frictionless material. A grippy sole normally covers the bottom, but can slide out of the way revealing the frictionless ones beneath.

I'm not sure exactly what military uses these would have but they would be fun.

Return of the sub-exoskeleton
The MCP-Aero "fat sparrow" suit increases the user's strength to robobody levels, but not to full exoskeleton strength. Make just an exoskeleton version of that.
Honestly this is an afterthought, but it should be extremely cheap, and help with certain strength requirements and endurance tasks.

Stupid question:
How much would an assaultsuit with absolutely none of the armour or bonus features cost?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 10:17:51 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1823 on: February 02, 2016, 03:30:26 am »

How much would an assaultsuit with absolutely none of the armour or bonus features cost?
So basically just the exoskeleton?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: February 04, 2016, 09:49:21 pm »

Been a while since I posted.  Sorry about that--I'm terrible at time management, and schoolwork comes before this on the rare occasions I manage to control myself.

Anyway, from now on, Please post all finished designs in the Heph OOC thread, where the council can see them.  It's best if you provide the council with a full writeup, including both the armory entry, and a more detailed description for the item's page.  It's also a good idea to provide any relevant quotes from me or PW, so that the council doesn't have to waste time searching for the quotes.

Why can't  a force infuser be machine operated, you would have to create a sort of artificial brain that would tell it to use a certain amount of force which can be decided based on a dial

also one only needs to have a part of the force infuser in contact with them. So one could take the part that would normal contact the user's skin and put it in the grip of the gun allowing for it to still be used and controlled like a normal force infuser.

Please bold questions if you want me to answer them.  Question marks are also extraordinarily useful things.

A force infuser probably could work the way you describe, since that's basically what an automanipulator is, but you'd need the brain and life support for it, which will drive up cost.  Also, I can't decide whether or not you're allowed to automate items, that's poke material.

I accept this failure. Then, for 3-token upgraded Brisant, what are the options that you would allow? Two variants, as discussed; what of meta-material upgrades, etc.?

Also, for the record, the fuels also never did anything because we never specified to use them. No, really, we never explicitly stated that. I intended to rectify that with MCP-III, but I probably won't be able to - so please just don't dismiss this in the future just because it never seemed to have an effect. I can even check how significant the benefit was with Piecewise in the Poke thread, if you wouldn't take that as a syvving attempt.

You're gone, aren't you? ;-;

Well, the two variants you described were a slightly larger brisant, and a cut-down more mobile brisant.  I'm fine with the cut-down one, since removing stuff won't increase the price.  It's up to you how much you want it to be cut down, though you should probably do it to such an extent it actually means something to PW; If it's the same thing except five inches shorter, stockless, and has a foregrip, PW probably won't actually treat it any differently.

I know buddy, I know. We can glare at pw's general direction together as we struggle through this. Turn spoilered for length.

I will be posting council results in hep OOC to prevent clutter here. It would also be very helpful if people who have stuff ready for council checking post their full write-up in there and indicate that it's ready for council review.

Spoiler: Responses (click to show/hide)

Kinetic Charge Carbine:
I mostly chose carbine because it sounds wonderfully alliterative  :P

Spoiler: Questions and Answers! (click to show/hide)
So it's most likely a con/exo weapon. I'm waiting for a reply from PW on how exactly the con/exo works and if it can be made pure con.

How about a barrel made of that frictionless material, that should allow higher power shots without damaging the barrel I think.
How well would it work and much would it cost?

How about a version that can hold 2 heads instead of 1? I don't think it has to be twice as large, nor twice as expensive since presumably some of the components can be shared between both heads.

Slip'n'slide boots:
Make the bottom of a pair of boots out of our frictionless material. A grippy sole normally covers the bottom, but can slide out of the way revealing the frictionless ones beneath.

I'm not sure exactly what military uses these would have but they would be fun.

The MCP-Aero "fat sparrow" suit increases the user's strength to robobody levels, but not to full exoskeleton strength. Make just an exoskeleton version of that.
Honestly this is an afterthought, but it should be extremely cheap, and help with certain strength requirements and endurance tasks.

Stupid question:

Kinetic Charge Carbine:

Frictionless material lets the gun survive any level of charge up to 160s, and probably more, all assuming it remains without rifling.  Rifling requires forcefields, and forcefields have the flaw of being explosive.  Also, rifling is very fiddly and probably wouldn't even work well with this gun anyway.

As to power, within atmosphere, 160s remains your best setting.  Beyond that you get diminishing returns due to ablation.  Out of atmosphere, well, there's nothing stopping you from firing it at light speed if you wait long enough.

Frictionless barrel costs 2t, for 5t total.  The barrel doesn't actually need to be terribly thick or strong because there isn't much force acting on it.

The council repriced this, right?  I'll say the two head version costs 50% more than whatever price they gave for the single head version.

Slip'n'slide boots:

I'll say 1t.  The problem you get into eith this is that it's difficult to get going at a high speed, and it only works on smooth ground.  You're not gonna skate over rubble.

Also, +1 dex minimum, and requires dex rolls for anything aside from moving in a straight line on a level surface.  Frictionless soles have to be much harder to ride than skates.

I think this only matters for five weapons, and even then, only if you have negative strength.  2t.

There are no stupid questions:

This is extremely difficult, because the assaultsuit is only 50% more expensive than the Mk.III, but adds so much.  I can't really use my typical "production cost" methodology, because the AS is just far too cheap.

Bleh, 10t.  It's vastly stronger than an Mk.III, but requires +2 aux and has none of the other features.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: February 04, 2016, 10:01:05 pm »

Guess we should call it the Kinetic Charge Musket, then. :P

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: February 04, 2016, 10:10:13 pm »

Guess we should call it the Kinetic Charge Musket, then. :P
We could sell it in a complete kit or a diy kit. Perhals  some jack that one coukd hook uo their own generator to the battery may be in order to allow for costumizability and general usefullness
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: February 04, 2016, 10:55:41 pm »

Could we have a hard-light shooty thingy?  Like, it makes bullets and flings them in the direction you're pointing?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1828 on: February 05, 2016, 09:29:28 am »

Sticky goop is nice for restraining things, trapping things and closing holes and it has the added benefit that it can easily be dissolved. However, it is not very strong or very versatile. So I propose the use of another material:

Remember the liquid we found at the Anomalous Planetoid? The one that solidified into very hard crystal whenever it came into contact with other forms of matter? I'd like to put that in as a chem thrower ammo as something that can be used to make more sturdy barricades and trap things even better than sticky goop. A sort of instant cement, if you like. I assume 1 token per can is fine?

It also has the added advantage that someone with handiwork skill could use it to create objects or create moulds for objects.

EDIT: Ah, wait, just found this:
The liquid crystal appears to be something akin to stemcells, able to take on many different configurations depending on stimulus. However, we cannot, as of yet, manage to reproduce it via chemical or mechanical means.
So it's probably not possible to do that, unless piecewise says we found a way to get more. And now we can't even duplicate it using automanipulators. Maybe we could use the cube...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 10:12:44 am by Parisbre56 »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: February 05, 2016, 12:37:32 pm »

That sounds a lot like a bag of Instant Sandbag at 1/8th the price.

Is it possible to get a long-barelled version of the Brisant with enough gauss coils to have it fire like a normal hypersonic rifle, instead of the usual ballistic arc?
(I seem to recall that the Brisant had most of its coils stripped so that the grenades were slow enough that the inventor could bounce grenades around corners and stuff)

Price? Price to convert a normal one?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 127