Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2185 2186 [2187] 2188 2189 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2497187 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #32790 on: October 20, 2016, 11:17:04 am »

The main difference between the two is that one means you get minor bonuses continuously, and the other means you only switch it on occasionally but it makes a bigger difference.

I'm leaning towards bigger difference too.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #32791 on: October 20, 2016, 11:21:34 am »

I, too, lean towards bigger difference.

Though I feel like I should invest in an emergency calculator to tape to my desk with all of the number being thrown around in this system, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #32792 on: October 20, 2016, 11:31:44 am »

Bigger difference is best.  Small difference means a lot more bookkeeping and complexity; only occasionally using bonuses is more convenient to use.

As for weapons, I still feel longswords are too strong.  +30 damage for ZERO humanity is massive.  In the example you just gave, fifteen humanity grants +25 damage (and 25% chance to hit), which is somewhat poor in comparison.  Demon weapons, a better comparison, are even worse; if the sword cost five humanity per use, it would still be notably better than virtually all the demon weapons you've shown us so far.  If mundane weapons are that powerful, demon weapons need to be absurd to compensate.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32793 on: October 20, 2016, 12:46:14 pm »

Demon weapons ARE absurd, which is why they can't compete with good old steel. :D

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #32794 on: October 20, 2016, 12:50:21 pm »

Demon weapons ARE absurd, which is why they can't compete with good old steel. :D
What if I shove a demon in my  steel long sword!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 01:02:05 pm by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32795 on: October 20, 2016, 12:57:34 pm »

Then you roll a 10 on Daemonism and cause everyone around you to explode violently.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32796 on: October 20, 2016, 01:08:42 pm »

are normal weapons eligible for use as bodyparts?
and do they have a corruption cost when used as such?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32797 on: October 20, 2016, 03:45:50 pm »

Bigger difference, less frequent seems to have worked out for me in the test game, with humanity spending. It did make me sweat a bit, and it means that combat will be decided rather quickly most times - in the span of time it takes all players to activate their bonuses, usually, because they will either dominate the opponents, or spend their load and go into flight mode to survive.

Though 'rather quickly' includes the length of time the test game went, so a couple weeks per encounter?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32798 on: October 20, 2016, 04:26:13 pm »

Bigger difference is best.  Small difference means a lot more bookkeeping and complexity; only occasionally using bonuses is more convenient to use.

As for weapons, I still feel longswords are too strong.  +30 damage for ZERO humanity is massive.  In the example you just gave, fifteen humanity grants +25 damage (and 25% chance to hit), which is somewhat poor in comparison.  Demon weapons, a better comparison, are even worse; if the sword cost five humanity per use, it would still be notably better than virtually all the demon weapons you've shown us so far.  If mundane weapons are that powerful, demon weapons need to be absurd to compensate.
We can rebalance that.

are normal weapons eligible for use as bodyparts?
and do they have a corruption cost when used as such?
No. At least not under the current system.
No, because it isn't possible currently.

Bigger difference, less frequent seems to have worked out for me in the test game, with humanity spending. It did make me sweat a bit, and it means that combat will be decided rather quickly most times - in the span of time it takes all players to activate their bonuses, usually, because they will either dominate the opponents, or spend their load and go into flight mode to survive.

Though 'rather quickly' includes the length of time the test game went, so a couple weeks per encounter?
The way to fix the slowness of battle is to increase damage!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32799 on: October 20, 2016, 04:50:24 pm »

perhaps part of rebalancing body parts to normal weapons is to make the normal weapons give a negative to-hit. Also, they shold probably have a certain durability, like body parts do. Hmm, that, and making viable weapons somewhat rare could help. Or, maybe with repeated use, they slowly become attached to the person anyway - the corruption of Oro causing them to meld into you.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32800 on: October 20, 2016, 10:29:01 pm »

Probably the way we're gonna handle weapons vs demonic weapon parts is this:

1. Demon weapons have flat damage that is similar, maybe somewhat lower, than normal weapons and require no corruption to use.
2. They will have an ability or effect that activates when you use corruption. Chainsaw is a good example of this: you can just bash people in the head for X damage, or you can use some corruption and do X+Y base. Or perhaps base damage says the same but the weapon inflicts burning or poison or whatever.
3. The part based weapons can heal via demon flesh, instead of needing to be repaired.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32801 on: October 20, 2016, 11:18:52 pm »

Anyone have an idea of how to handle corruption downtick?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #32802 on: October 21, 2016, 12:07:58 am »

Maybe it's like an action you can take, and the more humanity you have the more effective it is?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32803 on: October 21, 2016, 12:34:58 am »

Have it be a set amount based on your human parts and if you spend a turn meditating on it you can increase the amount of corruption removed?
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32804 on: October 21, 2016, 02:00:07 am »

Have it be a set amount based on your human parts and if you spend a turn meditating on it you can increase the amount of corruption removed?
nah then your back into the whole amputees are sub-human thing, which i dont really like from a gameplay or even logical perspective.

just run a flat amount like (#baseslots - #demonparts) x 2 or something and maybe it only ticks if you havent corrupted yourself that turn.
so if you have 6 demon parts you purge (15-6 = 9) x2 = 18 corruption per turn, and if your demonic dangly bits get shot off then theres less implied corruption in your body so you can purge more each turn.
just find a nice easy little equation that never changes unless your body structure does and gives a reasonable regen rate.

does have the side effect of making high humanity just mean you get a bigger battery instead of a better charger, but you can just make high humanity give minor corruption resistance against enemy attacks or something if that feels too underpowered.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 02:03:05 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.
Pages: 1 ... 2185 2186 [2187] 2188 2189 ... 2205