Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2167 2168 [2169] 2170 2171 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2496925 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #32520 on: September 14, 2016, 10:53:14 am »

Firstly, [tt]s are your friend.  [code] too.  As-is, your diagrams show the head growing out of the upper arm, which attaches to the upper leg and the chest, while the upper leg attaches to the gut.  While an... interesting perception of the human body, I assume this to be in error.  Also, you show the gun growing from the upper arm rather than the hand, and I have to wonder why you wouldn't do it that way to begin with.

There's a branching maximum of 4 branches from any single part though, so no building a 20 gun bracelet around your hand.

Why?  Does this mean I can't have six arms attached to my torso?

Also, since that pic reminded me, how would this system handle naga tails being used for mobility?  Would it replace only one leg?  If both, do some parts count as multiple connections?  Is there any reason this wouldn't be a straight penalty?

How about mobility?  Is it just assumed that regardless of what amalgamation of parts I construct a body from, I'll be able to move?  Do I take any mobility penalty if I replace my arms and legs with howitzers, making myself into some sort of limb-lacking gun spider?

Is the head a utility part, granting sight, speech, smell, and other senses?  Would that mean I am significantly penalized if I replace my head with a gun?  Or do you just assume I can see out the barrel or something?  Maybe there should be "sense" parts which modify others?

Is there any tag to distinguish upper/lower arms/legs from inanimate blocks to build upon?  They don't seem to actually do anything in this system, beyond act as extra slots.  Could I just attach a demon hand to my shoulder wthout penalty (aside from not having the human arm)?  On that topic, couldn't I just slave the demon hand to my normal hand?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #32521 on: September 14, 2016, 10:56:29 am »

HAIR
                           |
                      EAR-HEAD-EAR
                           |
HAND-LOWER ARM-UPPER ARM-CHEST-UPPER ARM-LOWER ARM-HAND
                           |
 FOOT-LOWER LEG-UPPER LEG-GUT-UPPER LEG-LOWER LEG-FOOT

:P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32522 on: September 14, 2016, 03:06:11 pm »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32523 on: September 14, 2016, 03:24:22 pm »

Firstly, [tt]s are your friend.  [code] too.  As-is, your diagrams show the head growing out of the upper arm, which attaches to the upper leg and the chest, while the upper leg attaches to the gut.  While an... interesting perception of the human body, I assume this to be in error.  Also, you show the gun growing from the upper arm rather than the hand, and I have to wonder why you wouldn't do it that way to begin with.

There's a branching maximum of 4 branches from any single part though, so no building a 20 gun bracelet around your hand.

Why?  Does this mean I can't have six arms attached to my torso?

Also, since that pic reminded me, how would this system handle naga tails being used for mobility?  Would it replace only one leg?  If both, do some parts count as multiple connections?  Is there any reason this wouldn't be a straight penalty?

How about mobility?  Is it just assumed that regardless of what amalgamation of parts I construct a body from, I'll be able to move?  Do I take any mobility penalty if I replace my arms and legs with howitzers, making myself into some sort of limb-lacking gun spider?

Is the head a utility part, granting sight, speech, smell, and other senses?  Would that mean I am significantly penalized if I replace my head with a gun?  Or do you just assume I can see out the barrel or something?  Maybe there should be "sense" parts which modify others?

Is there any tag to distinguish upper/lower arms/legs from inanimate blocks to build upon?  They don't seem to actually do anything in this system, beyond act as extra slots.  Could I just attach a demon hand to my shoulder wthout penalty (aside from not having the human arm)?  On that topic, couldn't I just slave the demon hand to my normal hand?
I have tried several combinations of messing with my screen size and I cannot replicate what you're talking about. Are you on a phone?

The limit is more due to balancing, but really, we could go without it. If someone wants to pack all their bits onto one thing and then have that thing severed and destroyed, good for them.

Naga tails are fused limbs are actually something I've been thinking about for a while as well. What It would probably be is that you could use it as either a single limb or two, and if you used it as two any structural bonuses from it would be doubled. If you had, say, a functional part at the end, it might get a bonus as well.

Thats a good question. Its the sort of thing that is kind of hard to write universal rules for because, even in the gun limb thing, you could theoretically amble around with the barrels of the guns acting like legs. It may be a judgement thing of giving bonuses and negatives where it seems right, but I don't really like that because it's too subjective. We could have tags for "Movement" but would a foot be a movement part? Could I staple a foot to the gun ball and suddenly it works?

Senses are another oddity. I mean, actual demons don't need human senses right? A skeleton has no structures for it, but it can do them. If I replace my head with a skull, do I lose those functions even though the skeleton had them? Should we just assume magical sensing? And if so, can I also have utility parts that somehow make it better?

They add stats because they're structural. So an upper arm might add +2 strength or something. And that varies depending on part and type of part.  And yes, you could attach a hand to your shoulder. Not sure why but you can. And you could slave a demon hand to a normal hand but it really wouldn't do anything. Slaved parts act as modifiers to master parts. A demon hand and a human hand are both functional parts with the function of Grasping. Slaving one to the other doesn't really do anything.

Yeah, basically. 

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32524 on: September 14, 2016, 03:32:19 pm »

I'd just be sure to give every demon a way to sense things. A fleshmonger could just have magic flame eyes on it's skull, for example. Or they sense vibrations in their bone marrow and navigate by echolocation.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32525 on: September 14, 2016, 03:48:50 pm »

How about a tag for things you might use to modify a part? Like, say, you find some demon bit with needles, and you want the needles, but not the tail the needles grow on. Maybe you could have an [accessory] tag or something for things like needles, eyes, antennae, ears, horns?, arm spikes, scales, fur, feathers, etc. Might be nice for added diversity if players could play around with the extras a little.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32526 on: September 14, 2016, 03:56:23 pm »

[OMNIVISION] for all, imo. Don't want to mess about with removing senses, too infun and hard to model.

Special senses could be a thing though.
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32527 on: September 14, 2016, 03:56:53 pm »

Take the horn from a unicorn and stick it on your own head, shoot rainbow beams.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32529 on: September 14, 2016, 06:18:39 pm »

How about a tag for things you might use to modify a part? Like, say, you find some demon bit with needles, and you want the needles, but not the tail the needles grow on. Maybe you could have an [accessory] tag or something for things like needles, eyes, antennae, ears, horns?, arm spikes, scales, fur, feathers, etc. Might be nice for added diversity if players could play around with the extras a little.
Maybe, though they would probably just act like a normal stolen part. Ie it would take a slot. Because if it didn't they'd be impossible to balance and thus would have to be purely aesthetic.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32530 on: September 14, 2016, 07:09:40 pm »

no way. a [skin] tag, for every part. give each skin type a bonus and a malus. easy peasey, guaranteed. besides, you want people to experiment and to swap parts, but not all the time, right? that's a way to encourage that.

I swear, I feel almost justified in my obsessive criticisms of this alpha stage of development, because all my offerings are shot down so ruthlessly.

it only hurts a little.

-quiver-

-back in there, tear-
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:11:20 pm by Ozarck »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #32531 on: September 14, 2016, 07:13:23 pm »

Isn't this stuff getting a bit complex? I can only imagine that keeping track of everything for every single player is going to get annoying after a bit.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #32532 on: September 14, 2016, 07:24:31 pm »

This does seem to be developing into a forum game version of Spore, I'll admit.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32533 on: September 14, 2016, 07:50:57 pm »

Isn't this stuff getting a bit complex? I can only imagine that keeping track of everything for every single player is going to get annoying after a bit.
we gotta flesh out the options, so we know where the limits are. This is the early spring, and all the plants (i.e. game mechanic ideas) are sprouting up, vying for attention. Most will get pruned, leaving the best, the most popular, and theones the GM prefers. Hopefully they'll make a decent and enjoyable system by then.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32534 on: September 14, 2016, 08:27:07 pm »

Nah, not yet because so far all these tags just have to do with construction and the rules that it follows. As is, most of the body will probably be simple functional parts with HP and a stat bonus that people can just slap on when they put the part on. Functional parts might have more but it wouldn't be any worse than people with backpacks full of items. None of this is stuff that will require tons of constant rechecking or anything.
Pages: 1 ... 2167 2168 [2169] 2170 2171 ... 2205