Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2166 2167 [2168] 2169 2170 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2496868 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #32505 on: September 13, 2016, 02:14:37 am »

Core: Since players will be swapping limbs and body parts out like crazy, and these body parts will be destroyed or damaged as time goes on, it is important to establish exactly what is fatal. After all, tearing off your head in this is a method of powering up. There are two possible ways to handle this that I can think of: First is to designate one part of your body as the "core", the part that, if destroyed, will cause you to die. The alternative is to go DF undead style and just say "If 60% of your parts are destroyed, or you lose all functional parts, you are dead."

How about this: As long as torso and head are original human parts, those are the weakpoint. Punch through head and you are dead. After torso and head parts are changed even once you cannot die like a human anymore; you either remain semi-human or become full demon. It has funny side effect: In midfight against some demon someone loses their humanity. Now the team has two demons to fight against. Snowball effect, or whatever it is called. Once it gets going, it won't stop before all human parts around are smeared on ceiling.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #32506 on: September 13, 2016, 02:46:16 am »

More entertaining would be that you can always choose what bodypart your soul resides in at any one time, so you could stick your soul in your hand, cut that arm off, and be a living arm.
0. You are losing a battle with a physically much stronger opponent, even though you have a superior soul. You have no chance to survive make your time.
1. Put soul in arm, preferably one with strong stats to make it more desirable and stronger.
2. Play dead. Wait for opponent to get your limb and attach it to themselves.
3. Wrest control of the body from your opponent, with both mental and physical attacks. Try to get enough control to remove their soul limb. Be sure to exclaim "Stop hitting yourself" if you gain control of the mouth.
4. Now you have a superior body and a superior soul.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #32507 on: September 13, 2016, 07:51:53 am »

Just read that epilogue. GG guys.
Also find it hilarious that STEPHEN HAWKING ended up in the catgirl orgy party boat :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #32508 on: September 13, 2016, 09:59:20 am »

I generally prefer there being a choosable core area.  It makes for more fun scenarios, like the aforementioned armstrats, and doesn't need to be calculated.  Also, if demons use the same system, it makes fighting them less of a grind--if we have to pulp 60% of their body to kill them, even low level trash mobs will take awhile.

Also, what if a person is bisected under the 60% death rule?  Neither portion will have lost a majority of its body, so which half is dead, and which is alive?  That's a simple decision for a normal human, but what if they've become a mostly symmetrical spider abomination?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32509 on: September 13, 2016, 10:35:39 am »

I generally prefer there being a choosable core area.  It makes for more fun scenarios, like the aforementioned armstrats, and doesn't need to be calculated.  Also, if demons use the same system, it makes fighting them less of a grind--if we have to pulp 60% of their body to kill them, even low level trash mobs will take awhile.

Also, what if a person is bisected under the 60% death rule?  Neither portion will have lost a majority of its body, so which half is dead, and which is alive?  That's a simple decision for a normal human, but what if they've become a mostly symmetrical spider abomination?

I can tell you that the play dead and then fight for the body thing probably won't be a thing you can do (for balance reasons) but choosing where your core is, that works fine.

Though it will probably have to be something that you can't change very often or easily otherwise people will fight down to their last part.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32510 on: September 13, 2016, 01:59:32 pm »

Takes a whole turn of just doing that to move, can't move in reaction to damage that you take, and enemies can intuit where you're hiding.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32511 on: September 13, 2016, 02:12:31 pm »

Takes a full turn, then a temporary stat penalty, maybe? Would be pretty consistent with limb switches if you go down the stay lowering route.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #32512 on: September 13, 2016, 02:51:05 pm »

How about it just not be possible during combat at all?  Say it takes a few minutes?  Still allows for creativity--you just have to plan ahead.  Even if there's penalties, allowing people to change their core during combat is gonna lead to shenanigans.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32513 on: September 13, 2016, 02:55:30 pm »

Yeah, probably have to do it outside combat.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #32514 on: September 13, 2016, 02:59:58 pm »

Shenanigans is not necessarily bad.

But perhaps have it as some kind of high-level special ability, so that not everybody has it, and maybe you have to earn it by defeating a monster that has it, which would be tough. The heroes' fight against Melgalzald in One Punch Man comes to mind. The monster has the ability to reform so long as it has an intact "core" and it can move that "core" around freely, but if it's forced to reconstitute itself completely, it reforms starting with the "core", so it's vulnerable then.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32515 on: September 13, 2016, 06:07:37 pm »

I've been thinking about the way functional parts are gonna have to be broken down. Obviously something like a hand or something is functional, if only as a grasper, but it might have other functions as well and it can't just be slotted in anywhere. If I were to put it like "Upper arm, Hand, Forearm" then it would not only not make sense, but it would completely destroy the grasping functionality of the part. But a part that produces voracious maggots? You can stick that just about anywhere! And you can slave it to a gun to shoot magots, but you can't slave the gun to the maggots...unless you built it off as a branching piece instead of one in line, in which case you could have an automatic, maggot controlled gun turret.

I'm thinking I'm gonna need a few tags to define behaviors and abilities.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32516 on: September 14, 2016, 07:58:54 am »

I tried slither.io today and got up to rank two. Used name Eater of Stars.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #32517 on: September 14, 2016, 08:02:59 am »

heh you killed me.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32518 on: September 14, 2016, 08:16:59 am »

heh you killed me.
I have killed many, my friend. My lust for power is fueled by your corpses.
Old sigs.
Games.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32519 on: September 14, 2016, 10:15:56 am »

Spread that quality ER propaganda

In any case, I've been thinking of tags for body part legos. Obviously not final, just current thoughts.

[Grasp]
Designates that the body part in question can hold things. A type of function tag, anything with this tag is considered a functional part. Hands, tentacles, prehensile tails, even mouths get this tag. Some will require that the part is at the end of a limb to work, others will not. Replacing your limbs with howitzers is fun and all but good luck getting up that ladder or holding a key or something. Yah can't hug your children with nuclear arms, man.

[End]
This one designates that this part has to be at the end of a branch. Which seems limiting at first glance but actually isn't as limiting as you'd expect once you get your head around how I visualize body plans. For instance, when we look at a normal human body, I see a central bit with 4 limbs and two ends. The ends are the head, and what we call the "Gut" but it would really encompass anything from about the diaphragm down. This gut part is an end bit with two new branches splitting off it. Like this:

HEAD
                                                   |
HAND-LOWER ARM-UPPER ARM-CHEST-UPPER ARM-LOWER ARM-HAND
                                                   |
    FOOT-LOWER LEG-UPPER LEG-GUT-UPPER LEG-LOWER LEG-FOOT

Looking at it like this, you can see that the Head, Chest and Gut make up a single line, a single part with the head and gut both being end parts. The head is an end part with no branching, but the Gut has two side branches, the legs. The gut is still the End of the body, it just has two bits coming off it. Like how we differentiate between the branches and trunk of a tree.  The Gut part, however, does not have an [End] Tag, it just happens to be at the end, so you can build more body sections onto it to increase the length of the body, or you can add another branching section.

But lets look at an example of parts that do have end tags.  The Hand has an [end] tag because the [grasp] function it has wouldn't work if it were embedded in your arm somewhere. So I can't stick a gun part onto a hand like this

HEAD
                                                   |
HAND-LOWER ARM-UPPER ARM-CHEST-UPPER ARM-LOWER ARM-HAND-GUN
                                                   |

Because that would be like me gluing your hand onto the gun. You might be able to fire the gun, but you couldn't use the hand for anything. I should point out at this point that you CAN do this, but doing so removes the functionality of the End part you're building on. So you can have a gun as your upper arm, it just won't fire and provides no nice structural benefits.  What I could do, however, is this:

HEAD                                      GUN
                                                   |                                             |
HAND-LOWER ARM-UPPER ARM-CHEST-UPPER ARM-LOWER ARM-HAND
                                                   |

In this case, the gun becomes a side branch of the hand. The Hand remains functional, as does the gun. Imagine it like the gun growing out of the back of the hand or maybe on the wrist. In this way, multiple [end] parts can be connected, either independently or in a slave/master relationship. There's a branching maximum of 4 branches from any single part though, so no building a 20 gun bracelet around your hand.

[Weapon]
Designates a functional part as a weapon. This one is a bit iffy to me in how it should work. For instance, a gun is obviously a weapon. As is a chainsaw. But what about a hand?  Does a normal human hand count as a weapon? Well I can punch people with it so surely it does to some degree. But then what about my forearm? Throwing an elbow into someone's face can really ruin their day, perhaps even moreso than the fist. Head butts, knee strikes, body slams, all these things should really designate any part of the body as a weapon, if used right.

However, in this case I think the most reasonable way to go about this is to look at it from a purely game mechanics standpoint. The [Weapon] tag is used for designating that a part needs a dedicated damage number, where as the other things can probably either just use the strength stat to determine damage, or just have some sort of baked in standard hand to hand damage. This also helps distinguish between the function of functional parts.

[Utility]

Functional parts that have some kind of active use, but aren't weapons. Like a mouth that vomits a sticky glue to slow enemies down. Or a crystal that produces light. Anything that could be considered a "Tool" of sorts.

[Modifier]
Parts that modify other parts or add different stats or abilities. These are parts that are GENERALLY useless on their own. A lump of flesh that produces maggots or electricity is fine and all, but not very useful on its own. Slave it to something or attach it to a larger group of parts and it can be very useful.

[Alive]

Designates the part as having a life and  intelligence of its own. Parts slaved to it can be used by this living part independently of the main body. Allows for things like additional attacks or actions during a turn. These would still drain from your humanity though.
Pages: 1 ... 2166 2167 [2168] 2169 2170 ... 2205