Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1631 1632 [1633] 1634 1635 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2488747 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #24480 on: November 05, 2015, 09:13:53 pm »

Ooookaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.  But seriously though, if you have to scramble to justify stuff with stasis dementia, that should be a hint.
I mean roughly waking up to what to her seems like a few minutes after her parents death being thrust into a bizare situation and if i recall the armory master told her to go to the medbay to install it she just blindly followed orders being the most confused in her life plus -1mind shes not a genius certainly and it takes a bit lonher to get her bearings even now she doesn't completely got ahold of them
Virtually all of your character building seems to be in order for you to justify doing ... whatever you want to do at a given time. Or because you want a Mary Sue. Usually both. Lyra has a standard communicator on her wrist and is using a vr machine. it doesn't take a genius to not figure out she is self aware. And her actions during your interaction would be self evident. And since your character has "no knowledge" of cats, she shouldn't be biased toward Lyra's being non-sapient anyway.

Pill machine is a Nyartifact, and not necessarily known by Fred, nor anyone who isn't given direct knowledge of it in game. Though, on this one, since it's use is advertised and controlled, whatever.

-1 mind
amps
goes to medbay without complaint for brain surgery
reacts violently to being told to go there for a basic checkup about fainting spells
knows of pill machine
knows how to use pill machine (see -1 mind)
hasn't talked to anyone who has used pill machine about previous uses.
doesn't know the difference between Lyra and a cat
does know that cat's aren't considered intelligent.
doesn't know using VR machines is unusual behavior for a cat
doesn't know using VR machines is a sign of intelligence
does know what VR machines are
information source is AM
AM routinely puts out disclaimers on dangerous equipment
doesn't know disclaimers (including ones on Amp use)

do you see why it seems like what your character does and doesn't know or understand is being manipulated specifically to enable harming others "by accident"?
+1 and this isn't the sum of her inconsistencies, but a quick list of her recent ones.

@Lenglon I think you're being a little too harsh here. But... the list is strange, indeed.

Well, it's not our place to judge another person's RPing/storytelling skills, is it? Especially if the character in question explicitly has the debilitating -1 Mind. I guess 'strange, incomprehensible, irrational behavior' (to outside observers, on occasions) is very much IC here.
As much as I generally detest it (I love overcomplicating things), I think it's high time to break out Hanlon's razor from the Armory (no offense implied). Sometimes a banana self-contradictory behaviour is just a banana self-contradictory behaviour.
Sometimes. but a consistent pattern of "lel, my character is so random, because backstory" isn't typically accepted as rationale for doing generally disruptive things for the sake of doing disruptive things.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 09:16:23 pm by Ozarck »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24481 on: November 05, 2015, 09:18:09 pm »

+1 to above. Really, She's starting to remond me of Leon and all of mesor's(and his alts!) characters.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24482 on: November 05, 2015, 09:27:24 pm »

@Lenglon I think you're being a little too harsh here. But... the list is strange, indeed.

Well, it's not our place to judge another person's RPing/storytelling skills, is it? Especially if the character in question explicitly has the debilitating -1 Mind. I guess 'strange, incomprehensible, irrational behavior' (to outside observers, on occasions) is very much IC here.
As much as I generally detest it (I love overcomplicating things), I think it's high time to break out Hanlon's razor from the Armory (no offense implied). Sometimes a banana self-contradictory behaviour is just a banana self-contradictory behaviour.
My character is about to be stabbed with a dirty syringe through fur (meaning it's probably going to miss the first seven times) and there's no IC justification for me to give her any form of a resist action. I have a vested interest in the matter, and admit that I am heavily biased. and if Abigail is a veterinarian now that knows how to find veins through fur then I feel my objections are fully justified.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24483 on: November 05, 2015, 09:40:53 pm »

My character is about to be stabbed with a dirty syringe through fur (meaning it's probably going to miss the first seven times) and there's no IC justification for me to give her any form of a resist action. I have a vested interest in the matter, and admit that I am heavily biased. and if Abigail is a veterinarian now that knows how to find veins through fur then I feel my objections are fully justified.
I have an OOC desire for this to work, and I am busy railing against it.
Seriously.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24484 on: November 05, 2015, 09:48:15 pm »

Ah, I didn't quite know the specifics. Well...

It's a sloppy attempt at PK, as VR aren't full immersion (well, they might be if you'd been using that electrodes-to-brain option, but I think Feyri and Jim were the only ones to use those - so you shouldn't be as 'defenseless' as you think, no more than a person working with a regular computer) - you should use that to your advantage. So I think it's perfectly justified to add an 'if' clause to your action (just in case Piecewise forgot about it) saying that should you feel something sharp stabbing you, you'd respond immediately. (It's kind of a default thing to suppose of a person, but still worth mentioning just in case, I guess).

With your dexterity (especially compared to hers - remember that Dex stims also impact perception of time, so Dex-high people simply faster act faster and have much better reaction) I find it quite possible that even if, by chance, Abigail stabs the syringe right into your vein, you might be able to pull it out/snatch it from her hands before she injects the concoction (especially since with Piecewise it's generally either "it was fully injected" or "it wasn't injected"; see: drinking potions).

And then you two are in melee range with you having all the stat superiorities over her, to say nothing of your physical form (finally, some showtime for claws and fangs?). And you'll have all the reasons to be very angry IC.

As I said, a sloppy PK attempt. One should be more patient and skilful to catch the enemy surprised and defenseless. I'm betting on Lyra in this fight.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #24485 on: November 05, 2015, 09:51:42 pm »

One note, she got those syringes from the armory IIRC so they should be clean.
See? Clean syringe! Makes everything better.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24486 on: November 05, 2015, 09:53:35 pm »

And it's not an injection.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24487 on: November 05, 2015, 09:54:47 pm »

Yeah the action isn't really that harmful anyway. Cat might not even notice.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24488 on: November 05, 2015, 09:55:19 pm »

And it's not an injection.
Ah, makes more sense now. Well, once again, wasn't following on-ship thread closely.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24489 on: November 05, 2015, 09:55:38 pm »

Spoilered becuase way too long

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 09:58:18 pm by AbstractTraitorHero »
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24490 on: November 05, 2015, 09:56:44 pm »

Weapon you've USED BEFORE???
Uh.  No.
Amps are not that common.
Sigtext

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24491 on: November 05, 2015, 09:58:56 pm »

It's military grade hardware that needs brain surgery.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24492 on: November 05, 2015, 09:59:24 pm »

@AbstractTraitorHero Yeah, sorry, completely misunderstood the situation. Well, proceed as you will, I guess, just be wary of those points I mentioned to Lyra. VR isn't that immersive, so even if you succeed, you'll probably have an angry cat-person on top of you moments later. Just sayin'.
Past Sigs

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24493 on: November 05, 2015, 10:02:16 pm »

Uh.  No.
they certainly are god damn not it was something that she dident own and was taught how to use them by her parents becuase it was something they used in their job she has seen them used and only was allowed to use them rarely.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24494 on: November 05, 2015, 10:03:18 pm »

Uh.  No.
they certainly are god damn not it was something that she dident own and was taught how to use them by her parents becuase it was something they used in their job she has seen them used and only was allowed to use them rarely.

It's military grade hardware that needs brain surgery.
BRAAAAIIIINNNN SSSSSUUUURRRRRGGGGGEEEERRRRRRYYYYYYY.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 1631 1632 [1633] 1634 1635 ... 2205