Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1633 1634 [1635] 1636 1637 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2488801 times)

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #24510 on: November 05, 2015, 11:12:02 pm »

@AhT. Yeah, no. Waking up after seeing parents killed, wandering around making friends then deliberately - deliberately- buying an amp for brain surgery and having it installed calmly and surely, and only once you've gotten what you want, then attacking the very kitty you hugged and cuddled and all that just because she walks toward the medbay (and then sneaking up to that kitty with malice aforethought to take blood against her will?)? I call bullcrap on all your justification.

You wanted: a) a weapon. B) to hurt someone, c) do do random experiments against the wishes of another character. you are using the death of your character's parents to justify literally anything you feel like doing. You have no justification. had you woken up, sobbed, loked for a sympatheic ear (a kitty you cuddled for instance) or just stayed away from people in general, or you know, panicked at going to the doctor the first time, maybe, just maybe. But no, every action has "player wants a toy, cares little about anyone in the game but their character" behind it.

Try seeing this from someone else's perspective, and maybe consider just how many people have called you on these actions already. and rethink how you go about things.
Psychokinetic amplifiers are, by canon, top secret military weapons whose very existence is only known to the public in the vaguest of terms. Someone tried to look up info on them on the in-game Internet before - they couldn't find anything other than blink-and-you'll-miss-it references in politicians' speeches from the height of the Altered War (and no, nobody alive today was alive then, unless they're a cheating semi-divine NPC). Civilians just plain don't have access to them. And you underestimate ER tech, working while fully submerged in magma is perfectly doable without amplifiers.

And Abigails parent's coudent be called civilians the magister gave it to them they were important for the running and maintaining of the entire complex

To be honest i wasent looking for a fight when things like the kitty freak out happened and i actually do like a lot of the characters in this game in my opinion are way cooler then abigail is and i don't intend to kill anyone's character or make them into a toy hell the needle thing once she makes the pill I'm gonna ask piecewise to make a roll to guess what it does abigail dosent want to hurt any player characters and i don't want to kill any player characters so if thats how i look I'm truly sorry and I'll think a little bit more about how the other characters would be affected.
Aaaand that strikes me as another special snowflake thing...
Okay, but that has nothing to do with how Abigail is acting.
To be fair, I recall stirring up plenty of shit with my metagaming shenanigans back in the day. To help counteract this, I'd recommend (purely from my own experience mind you) to focus on one of two extremes.
The one I've gone with is essentially focus entirely on the character. Focus only on their desires as a character, and not yours as a player. That way your actions have full justification behind them even if they do end up being somewhat assholish, but you can't go on random shenanigans if your character isn't that type. It does require a lot of thought on what your character would do in the situation at hand, if they have any plans for the future, and such though.

Or you can go to the other end and discard their character entirely - stop acting in accordance to backstory or anything else and just do what you want to do. Grants you freedom of action since you can basically do whatever the hell you want (doesn't guarantee your success but if you wanna go look up alien species on the space Internet without having an IC reason to do so, there's your solution).

Don't have to do either, it's just the path I ended up proceeding along after my rather rough start. Most importantly regardless of whatever you end up doing, though, is I'd say to realize people's ... existentialism? Capacity to do actions and possibly prevent yours.

For instance, say you wanna extract a person's blood for no clear reason. That's fine, people have done worse before. But when doing that action, just make sure you remember that they're likely to object to surprise blood extraction - but that interplay - 'hey man why you tryna stab me' 'I wanna extract some blood from you' 'the fuck, why' 'mad science involving unstable alien artifacts, don't worry it'll only kill me at best' - that IC explanation by your character as to why they're doing this random action is the thing that makes for good interaction - because even if it's confrontational, it's interesting.

Rambling done!
This too, kind of.
eh every character has something that makes em special in someway besides people are like snowflakes anyway everyone of em is different

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24511 on: November 05, 2015, 11:16:00 pm »

ATH, I strongly dislike the action you are attempting to perform to my character, however, unlike you, I am not going to submit a preemptive counter-action depending on information my character doesn't know.
This decision leaves me helpless to stop you.
It is not the same as approving of your action, and I give absolutely no promises about potential backlash after you are done.
I've said my piece.

If only you'd just asked permission...
i have no intention of truly harming your character abigail has +1 med so the worst that can happen at least i think can happen is if she stabs the needle through your arm or she takes a lot of blood but i don't think Lyra will be injured and if she does get injured from this you can bet abigail will those cans of mefifoam both if needed

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24512 on: November 05, 2015, 11:27:51 pm »

@Lenglon I think you're being a little too harsh here.
I strongly disagree. In fact, from where I'm sitting they seem to have the patience of a saint. Good grief.

((All you have to do is push the button.  Seriously.))

Good thing his/her action includes waiting to see if the button works before proceeding!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Nunzillor

« Reply #24513 on: November 05, 2015, 11:31:55 pm »

Yes.  I just found the puzzlement about what to do amusing.  I have faith in the button.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24514 on: November 05, 2015, 11:41:10 pm »

((ATH, Lyra has fur. Finding veins under fur to draw blood is very difficult. meaning Abigail's likely to stab all kinds of things I don't want stabbed.
and if she'd ASKED, it would have been a non-issue (though Lyra would have asked the medbay to do it instead of the crazy girl). but just forcibly doing it changes things from a harmless action to an involuntary invasive medical procedure.
so no, what she's doing is *not okay*, even if this ends as well as we're both hoping it will, I will be upset.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #24515 on: November 05, 2015, 11:48:30 pm »

It's not gonna be a big deal anyway. Worst case is that Lyra has to go to the medbay saying 'hey this one crazy bitch stabbed me with a needle mind fixing me?'
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24516 on: November 05, 2015, 11:52:01 pm »

((ATH, Lyra has fur. Finding veins under fur to draw blood is very difficult. meaning Abigail's likely to stab all kinds of things I don't want stabbed.
and if she'd ASKED, it would have been a non-issue (though Lyra would have asked the medbay to do it instead of the crazy girl). but just forcibly doing it changes things from a harmless action to an involuntary invasive medical procedure.
so no, what she's doing is *not okay*, even if this ends as well as we're both hoping it will, I will be upset.))
ah in that situation most likely if she realized you were trying to go to the med bay she would try and stop you so that would probably go bad. Quickly unless Lyra xan convince her otherwise or someone (ex mycroft convinces her mycroft could probably do it but he's wandering the ship so i don't know if he would notice this is happening
So that could go bad or it could go smoothly depending upon what is said ...wait abigail can't read and lyra can't speak? So they have no hope currently of understanding each other beyond like body language abigail can't ask if she tried.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24517 on: November 05, 2015, 11:56:49 pm »

I'm sorry, you seem to think i give a damn about your justifications.
this is incorrect.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24518 on: November 05, 2015, 11:59:18 pm »

It's not gonna be a big deal anyway. Worst case is that Lyra has to go to the medbay saying 'hey this one crazy bitch stabbed me with a needle mind fixing me?'
It's unpredictable space-magic, so I'd imagine that the worst-case scenario would always be something incredibly unlikely but utterly horrifying. Like burning the area so hard that the resulting conflagration somehow manages to spontaneously combust. And for that to spontaneously combust. And so on, in a self-perpetuating meta-inferno that ruins everything so hard that even thinking about anything tangentially related to the incident causes the thinker and their surroundings to instantly catch fire. :P

First Grate, now Abigail. I have the feeling that any overly young PCs will just get summarily executed as soon as they leave stasis from this point on. Or, I suppose they'd just kill everyone below a certain age threshold while they're still in stasis.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24519 on: November 06, 2015, 12:04:13 am »

It's unpredictable space-magic, so I'd imagine that the worst-case scenario would always be something incredibly unlikely but utterly horrifying. Like burning the area so hard that the resulting conflagration somehow manages to spontaneously combust. And for that to spontaneously combust. And so on, in a self-perpetuating meta-inferno that ruins everything so hard that even thinking about anything tangentially related to the incident causes the thinker and their surroundings to instantly catch fire. :P

First Grate, now Abigail. I have the feeling that any overly young PCs will just get summarily executed as soon as they leave stasis from this point on. Or, I suppose they'd just kill everyone below a certain age threshold while they're still in stasis.
eh spacemagic would be overdoing it plus steve would probably shock whoever is trying to use it on ship with how dangerous it is now Lyra could probably kill abigail in 4 maybe 5 seconds just with her paws

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24520 on: November 06, 2015, 12:05:17 am »

this is incorrect.
"Frankly, my dear, I just don't give a damn."
I don't know why I wanted to make that quote, but I did.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24521 on: November 06, 2015, 12:06:32 am »

this is incorrect.
"Frankly, my dear, I just don't give a damn."
I don't know why I wanted to make that quote, but I did.
Yeah it is where's it from?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24522 on: November 06, 2015, 12:08:27 am »

eh spacemagic would be overdoing it plus steve would probably shock whoever is trying to use it on ship with how dangerous it is now Lyra could probably kill abigail in 4 maybe 5 seconds just with her paws
Not quite. Each of you has at least one (relatively) "safe" use. And Steve has only ever intervened with amp usage when an overload would have occurred. Plus whatever options there are, the amp would be quicker and more effective. So yes, I do well expect someone to be perma-dead from a fried brain by the end of this.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24523 on: November 06, 2015, 12:11:12 am »

Not quite. Each of you has at least one (relatively) "safe" use. And Steve has only ever intervened with amp usage when an overload would have occurred. So yes, I do well expect someone to be perma-dead from a fried brain by the end of this.
Well would Lyra  bust out the amp and use it immediately is the question that might determine that.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24524 on: November 06, 2015, 06:04:23 am »

Look, it makes more sense for Abigail to assume Lyra's sentient, than not.  I mean, it's not like she has a baseline, according to you.

Just, please, do that.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 1633 1634 [1635] 1636 1637 ... 2205