Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1053 1054 [1055] 1056 1057 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2495096 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC
« Reply #15810 on: April 13, 2015, 01:45:50 pm »

All stats should be Aux because we're using computers to post actions!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15811 on: April 13, 2015, 01:48:53 pm »

Remove all stats except Fate, because RNGesus decides all things and we must pay tribute!
Nah, just use charisma to charm RNGesus
I am clearly disappointed with you, sirs. We are honestly striving here to balance ER system just right, while you're trying to laugh off our effort. Shame on you!

Now, at least Lenglon provides useful input for the proposed system changes. So, how about mixing in Aux and Exo? Both are about controlling things with the efforts of your mind; playing the proverbial puppet master, one could even say.
should... should I take that seriously?
using human tech, especially computers and computer interfaces, is typically not actually about controlling things with your mind. it's about vocabulary and visualization of artificial systems. a computer-savy person generally is experienced in the comon uses of terms and computer-specific language, and has a general understanding of the quirks of most computerized systems and how to locate and understand help guides and instruction manuals on the topics that they don't. for example if a non-computer-savy person wants to tell a program to do something, they are going to avoid the "execute" button like the plague, because they don't want to lose all their work. whereas someone who knows what "execute" means in a computer-specific context would go for it almost immediately.

exo on the other hand, is more about mental flexibility. the ability to accept new inputs and outputs added to the user's mind. to consciously and unconsciously control them and create the desired result.

in other words, aux is more about active, conscious control, and exo is about intuitive, unconscious control.
All stats should be Aux because we're using computers to post actions!
NO!
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15812 on: April 13, 2015, 01:52:26 pm »

We should go full minimalist. No stats or skills, just a d6 roll for everything.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15813 on: April 13, 2015, 01:56:19 pm »

We should go full minimalist. No stats or skills, just a d6 roll for everything.
N-No?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15814 on: April 13, 2015, 02:05:20 pm »

using human tech, especially computers and computer interfaces, is typically not actually about controlling things with your mind. it's about vocabulary and visualization of artificial systems. a computer-savy person generally is experienced in the comon uses of terms and computer-specific language, and has a general understanding of the quirks of most computerized systems and how to locate and understand help guides and instruction manuals on the topics that they don't. for example if a non-computer-savy person wants to tell a program to do something, they are going to avoid the "execute" button like the plague, because they don't want to lose all their work. whereas someone who knows what "execute" means in a computer-specific context would go for it almost immediately.

exo on the other hand, is more about mental flexibility. the ability to accept new inputs and outputs added to the user's mind. to consciously and unconsciously control them and create the desired result.

in other words, aux is more about active, conscious control, and exo is about intuitive, unconscious control.
((Hey, I just wanted to support you against the meanies! Meanies are not cool!))

Well, I see your point very well. Still, in the end they both answer to controlling things with mind, either consciously or not? And with Will and Int (as sort of mental Str/End and Dex) incorporated into Mind, it can be just as well used to control both Exo and Aux. Perhaps it's time to do away with the arbitrary distinction of stats and skills on the whole? We could get rid of a whole number of dump stats and skills that way.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15815 on: April 13, 2015, 02:10:38 pm »

((Hey, I just wanted to support you against the meanies! Meanies are not cool!))

Well, I see your point very well. Still, in the end they both answer to controlling things with mind, either consciously or not? And with Will and Int (as sort of mental Str/End and Dex) incorporated into Mind, it can be just as well used to control both Exo and Aux. Perhaps it's time to do away with the arbitrary distinction of stats and skills on the whole? We could get rid of a whole number of dump stats and skills that way.
NO!
division of skills and stats means more detailed characterization and differences between characters. more stats/skills to spread points between > less.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15816 on: April 13, 2015, 02:12:36 pm »

Did - did newbie just see grate?

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15817 on: April 13, 2015, 02:20:19 pm »

What would the Grate symbolism mean? I just know he was immortal or somesuch.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15818 on: April 13, 2015, 02:22:26 pm »

@Caellath Which plan again? My memory seems to be a little fuzzy. The one where we all enter through use of the hull opener?
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15819 on: April 13, 2015, 02:28:10 pm »

OOC, we know he was spared to deliver a message.  Beyond that, we don't know.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15820 on: April 13, 2015, 02:31:55 pm »

And his message will sound something like this: https://youtu.be/aB39OqlJsm4

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #15821 on: April 13, 2015, 02:32:32 pm »

Say, who is going to be left on ship once the missions start?

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15822 on: April 13, 2015, 02:35:42 pm »

I'll be around, trying to fix myself. Maybe tinkering with the Deathcube.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15823 on: April 13, 2015, 02:36:15 pm »

@Caellath Which plan again? My memory seems to be a little fuzzy. The one where we all enter through use of the hull opener?

Yeah, everyone enters via hull opener in the hallway that takes to the main computer. Holdout team goes first and blocks the hallway with goop while Computer Grab team heads for the main computer. It keeps the two groups able to easily support one another and also lessens the chance of the hull opening procedure causing any damage to the computer.

@Tavik: I'll be around.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #15824 on: April 13, 2015, 02:50:35 pm »

Well, it might be Grate.
It might be someone else in which case...
stuff.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 1053 1054 [1055] 1056 1057 ... 2205