Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 756 757 [758] 759 760 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2489943 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #11355 on: November 24, 2014, 06:00:11 pm »

It does give the very nice boon that people can keep increasing their stats, if indeed bonuses don't count towards more and worse overshots anymore. Right now the cap is, for all practical purposes, at +2, after which a decomp is the best (really only) way to keep getting better, and then it stops really.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11356 on: November 24, 2014, 06:02:22 pm »

Ooh, very attractive. What would this mean for people like me who theoretically plan to get a +4 bonus eventually?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11357 on: November 24, 2014, 06:07:06 pm »

That you can do more complex stuff with a big amount of control without needing a dynamic bonus or decomp, I guess.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11358 on: November 24, 2014, 06:07:42 pm »

I approve of rework of rolls system.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11359 on: November 24, 2014, 06:13:43 pm »

Ooh, very attractive. What would this mean for people like me who theoretically plan to get a +4 bonus eventually?
theoretically you could get +whatever and it should still work

That you can do more complex stuff with a big amount of control without needing a dynamic bonus or decomp, I guess.
Basically.

I think I might keep dynamic bonuses around, but they would be:

1.the only thing which directly influences the number the dice rolled.
2.Would only be +-1, never any higher.
3. Would require you to prepare the turn before, which would require you to do NOTHING except prepare and couldn't be saved for later. They'd disappear if not used directly the next turn.

This way we could still let people avoid 1's and 6's through paying time to prepare, which seems reasonable.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11360 on: November 24, 2014, 06:16:25 pm »

This seems eminently reasonable.
Sig! Onol

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #11361 on: November 24, 2014, 06:17:33 pm »

The idea I had was that we'd basically do away with numerical bonuses. You'd always roll d6, and standard rtd would always apply.

The difference being that high level skills would
1.allow you to do more sophisticated, powerful or impressive things that a lower skilled person couldn't do. (ie standard +0 amp user couldn't target the inside of things, couldn't target things they can't see, can't do micro scale actions, etc.  while someone with +1 or +2 could start having the option to do better stuff)

Something about that feels like it's more hampering player options. You can't do x until you're level y in the skill used for x. It doesn't feel right. maybe it does work better mechanically, but for a game like this, part of the fun (for me, at least) is being able to game the system by making intelligent choices, and this restricts that.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11362 on: November 24, 2014, 06:20:28 pm »

The idea I had was that we'd basically do away with numerical bonuses. You'd always roll d6, and standard rtd would always apply.

1.allow you to do more sophisticated, powerful or impressive things that a lower skilled person couldn't do. (ie standard +0 amp user couldn't target the inside of things, couldn't target things they can't see, can't do micro scale actions, etc.  while someone with +1 or +2 could start having the option to do better stuff)

Something about that feels like it's more hampering player options. You can't do x until you're level y in the skill used for x. It doesn't feel right. maybe it does work better mechanically, but for a game like this, part of the fun (for me, at least) is being able to game the system by making intelligent choices, and this restricts that.

Perhaps less 'you cannot do it' and more 'you can try, but at below a certain level you'll take hits on your probability to succeed, but with a good roll you can still pull of tricks above your theoretical level'.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #11363 on: November 24, 2014, 06:21:15 pm »

Perhaps less 'you cannot do it' and more 'you can try, but at below a certain level you'll take hits on your probability to succeed, but with a good roll you can still pull of tricks above your theoretical level'.

That goes back into modifying the rolls.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #11364 on: November 24, 2014, 06:24:07 pm »

I think it's a good idea personally. Although I would like to know how it would affect things that are mostly on the player's side. Like speech rolls or intuition rolls.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11365 on: November 24, 2014, 06:25:18 pm »

That goes back into modifying the rolls.

Not necessarily. It could just worsen things in case of overshots or low rolls if one tries things above his level. 'Probability to succeed' is poorly worded perhaps.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11366 on: November 24, 2014, 06:26:37 pm »

In a way, maybe, but I think it does it in a way that makes sense.

For instance, someone with +0 exo skill couldn't directly manipulate the brain of someone they can't see or something, but they could still make intelligent choices in how to fight. For instance, just because you can't heat someone's brain directly doesn't mean you can't focus your attacks on weak areas. You couldn't attack the pilot of a Battle suit, but you could still attempt to damage his cameras or the suit's joints or something like that.

It would force people to think and act differently for a lack of skill but...I dunno, that seems pretty damn realistic if you ask me. Johnny no-brain really shouldn't be able to roll really well with his -1 aux and suddenly start building quantum computers.

I think it's a good idea personally. Although I would like to know how it would affect things that are mostly on the player's side. Like speech rolls or intuition rolls.
I would think it would be pretty similar in theory, unless you can expand upon what you mean.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #11367 on: November 24, 2014, 06:28:29 pm »

I mean like, using intuition to read a someone your talking to? How would that change from skill level to skill level?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11368 on: November 24, 2014, 06:30:13 pm »

I'd imagine someone with a bonus to intuition wouldn't do things like mistake a pair of pants for a space parasite if they failed a roll.
Sig! Onol

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11369 on: November 24, 2014, 06:36:21 pm »

I'd imagine someone with a bonus to intuition wouldn't do things like mistake a pair of pants for a space parasite if they failed a roll.
Yeah, basically this.
Pages: 1 ... 756 757 [758] 759 760 ... 2205