Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 754 755 [756] 757 758 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2489369 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #11325 on: November 22, 2014, 12:10:07 am »

Maybe.  You don't do that often, and have never (to my knowledge) directly disobeyed or harmed a commander without a good reason, so those are points going for you.  Then again, I'd be wary of giving something like the pill machine to a religious fanatic, so there's something against.

It's irrelevant, because Radio would be the one to actually allow people to mess with it.  Besides, if it were really my choice, nobody would have free access to it- only suggestions that multiple people agree aren't risky or dangerous would get tried.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11326 on: November 22, 2014, 02:58:43 am »

@Radio
What do you mean my persistant belief that i will ever touch the pill machine again?

That was Syv who said that, not Radio. Radio's the one who might get you the machine if you're very, very polite.

oh hey it was too, my bad. just used to radio being the one to get in the way of my plans i suppose.

@Unholy, because I'm assuming that was a typo

Sorry.  I thought that you hadn't touched it in the past, but I wasn't sure.

Anyway, I'm saying that you'll never get to touch it because you'll need to either A:Convince Simus to let you on Heph as a STEO, which will never ever happen, or B: Convince Radio to both get the PM from Hephaestus (Why would he do that?), and then let you play with it (A foolish decision).

I think it's a foolish decision because you have several times offered suggestions for very dangerous and risky substances to be put in it, and because Auron has already shown himself to be an unstable individual.  I think Radio might give you limited clearance were you to keep yourself in line, and even then you wouldn't be allowed to try half of your ideas.

Also, Pyro, ouch.

well theres little to no chance of me convincing SImus of anything without a goodly amount of planning and a fake id so thats probably not gonna be the avenue id take, also to hell with staying on haphaestus... its either quanum entanglement bots or the pill machines coming to the sword because missions are fun.
and its not really that unlikely to bring it back to the sword for a few reasons.
A: Because its getting no use over there,
B: its incredibly versatile,
C: we have all the newbies who want to volunteer themselves as subjects so Auron can discover the secrets of space alchemy,
D: everyones complaining about the newbie-veteran divide and this can help lessen it somewhat.

and yes, i have jokingly wanted to put a few exotic things in it out of curiosity, but never anything truly dangerous like space magic batteries or nukes. im actually probably one of the few people who radio could actually trust to use it specifically because i wanna use it so bad, there is no way in hell im gonna do anything to risk breaking it.

and im not unstable... well maybe a little, but thats par for the course with HMRC members which i still prefer to consider myself as.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11327 on: November 22, 2014, 04:19:53 am »

First, genemodding isn't better than robotics.  Free robobodies feel no pain, never tire, have a better protected head, have programmable bodies, and can text at the speed of thought.  Second, your genemod was only free because the Doctor gave it to you, and he gives robotic upgrades too.  I bet Thrak would have minced Cecil easily.

Third, there's been plenty of gene modded people.  Bishop is a guy who got himself to the point that he's slightly better than a basic robobody, at the cost of over twenty tokens.  There was a Doctor-made zeusfishman who PW basically called an idiot.  There was medkit Faith, catgirl Lyra, the human spaceship, and... May.  All genemods.

My genemods would be mostly handy for black ops peeps, who kinda need to stay non-robot.

But yes, I do think that robobodies give way to many advantages for being free and having virtually no really important disadvantages. I'd personally price it a 5 tokens or so and make such characters take a dive in charisma and maybe a few other stats. But alas.

@ pill machine: Hmm, i think it might be best to lay all the cards on the table here:

My pm's, totally unaltered (note the dates):

So, the subject of the pill machine has come up again. I'm wondering if you have changed your mind about keeping it on Hep.

I do think that, since you guys already have so much to do and the fact that a lot of people seem interested, that letting it come back to the Sword might generate maximum fun.

However, I do NOT think that just letting anyone make and eat any pill is a good idea. U_P for example has already mentioned trying synthflesh. And synthflesh is space magic, and we all know where that lead us last time.

So, my request would be that, if you do indeed decide on sending it back, that you'd specifically give it to Miya (or someone else you trust) so that he can act as a buffer between the machine and potentially stupid ideas.

What do you think on the matter?

Pyro responded, then me again.

Oh yeah, if you'd ever want that thing back to take it apart, just say so and I'll send it back post haste. Really, while I would like to play around with it, I have more important things to spend my turns on, so it'd be for the other players to enjoy mostly. And I do hope pw will allow us to build a 'replicator' using spess magic, so that taking it apart won't mean the only copy's destroyed and unusable (since we can just take apart a replica).

So yeah, the plan was to request it back at the end of this mission batch, then allow use of it. However, the machine itself would NEVER actually leave Miya's hands, people would bring him stuff, and if it's not dangerous he'd make a pill and give it back. If he's away on mission, he'd hand it over to someone he trusts. If no such people available, then tough bananas, no pill machine for a while. Could also potentially interfere with test subjects used if they're being forced into it, but that's unsure.

B: Convince Radio to both get the PM from Hephaestus (Why would he do that?), and then let you play with it (A foolish decision).
Because, as stated in the pm, it could probably generate some fun for other people who seemed eager, whereas now it's just gathering dust on a shelf somewhere. But while I might be a softie, I'm not a complete idiot, so of course I'd put a few buffers in between the machine and dangerous ideas.

oh hey it was too, my bad. just used to radio being the one to get in the way of my plans i suppose.
I find it amusing that the one person actively going out of his way to try and find an optimal solution to satisfy all parties out of his own agency is the one seen as the biggest roadblock. There's got to be a moral in there somewhere.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 04:21:25 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11328 on: November 22, 2014, 04:25:52 am »

We could have the pill machine put on a table by the Armory and have it be useable only there. The AM could then stop anyone putting any stupidly dangerous things in there.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #11329 on: November 22, 2014, 04:32:06 am »

And in the interest of transparency, here's my third of the conversation:

I think I would like to dismantle the thing at some point. I don't expect to see anything more than a black box or SCP-style 'it all looks normal - but it's anomalous anyways' (perhaps a resemblance to SCP-914?), but it would be nice to look nonetheless.

As for returning it to the Sword - it's a Nyartefact, but as the owner was Grate, Miyamoto or another General would have to ask for it. Simus' policy is that Nyartefacts sent to Hephaestus can be returned to the Sword either by request of the previous owner (before it was turned over to us) or by General request - She won't release to anyone else.

We could have the pill machine put on a table by the Armory and have it be useable only there. The AM could then stop anyone putting any stupidly dangerous things in there.

She could even do it in horribly amusing ways.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11330 on: November 22, 2014, 05:01:20 am »

That is banking on pw, who controls the AM, not screwing with us for shits and giggles.

You people should know better.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11331 on: November 22, 2014, 05:04:57 am »

I'm banking on the AM not wanting to have to fight several grate2-class incidents in succession, and thus painfully discouraging those who would.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11332 on: November 22, 2014, 07:48:23 am »

Free robobodies ... can text at the speed of thought.
Wait what? I didn't know that. If that's the case, I better have Charles report to Simus on the prisoner (something I was planning on doing later on since I thought that it would require him to use a wristpad and ruin his delivery).
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11333 on: November 22, 2014, 09:48:48 am »

Maybe.  You don't do that often, and have never (to my knowledge) directly disobeyed or harmed a commander without a good reason, so those are points going for you.  Then again, I'd be wary of giving something like the pill machine to a religious fanatic, so there's something against.

Then you've lost sight of the OOC/IC divide.  I (Toaster) would love to see it get used more because people maiming themselves is hilarious.  Lars doesn't care because he doesn't understand it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11334 on: November 22, 2014, 09:56:16 am »

Then you've lost sight of the OOC/IC divide.  I (Toaster) would love to see it get used more because people maiming themselves is hilarious.  Lars doesn't care because he doesn't understand it.
Speaking of, when did Lars become a religious fanatic? I'm pretty sure I remember Lars not being some kind of cultist under Steve who only goes along with it because why not.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11335 on: November 22, 2014, 10:07:22 am »

Ehhhh
I am preeetty sure Brother Lars was Friendly Neighbourhood Religious Nuts from the very beginning, and turned to worshipping Steve as the main deity quite soon after initial arrival (at that time he worshipped only Gazer).
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11336 on: November 22, 2014, 11:19:06 am »

Pretty much.  He had some turns with odd PW-given results, which he took as an existential crises.  He sought guidance from the AM, which eventually lead to a conversation with Steve where he became convinced he was divine.  That led him to the Pantheon, and eventually he decided everything prior in his life was Steve leading him here, and the Gazer was just another facet of Steve.

Did I mention he got whacked in the head when he got arrested?  Because he got whacked in the head when he got arrested.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11337 on: November 22, 2014, 04:53:16 pm »

@Radio

Hmm.  You do have a good point, that sending the PM to the Sword would accelerate our understanding of it, but I think that if people started messing with it on Heph we would get more data overall.  Primarily because we have flesh sods, which should make good, reliable, non-variable test subjects, which we can also feed basically anything we want to.  Random convicts have the issue that they vary between people, wouldn't (in general) be willing to take just any pill, aren't reliably available, ect.

@Toaster

It's less that I've lost sight of the IC/OOC divide, and more that I don't care that much to begin with.  Yes, the game is generally better when everyone acts purely in-character, but there are exceptions where OOC behavior is justified.  Chief among those is PKing, and related stuff, which the PM falls into.  It's very dangerous, so I'm fine with using OOC knowledge to limit access to it.  The reverse is also true- there's plenty of people who's characters shouldn't be allowed to play with it, but I might OOC decide to let them because those players are intelligent about what goes in the thing, and I don't want to limit their fun just because they play a character like that.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11338 on: November 22, 2014, 04:59:02 pm »

It's less that I've lost sight of the IC/OOC divide, and more that I don't care that much to begin with.  Yes, the game is generally better when everyone acts purely in-character, but there are exceptions where OOC behavior is justified.  Chief among those is PKing, and related stuff, which the PM falls into.  It's very dangerous, so I'm fine with using OOC knowledge to limit access to it.  The reverse is also true- there's plenty of people who's characters shouldn't be allowed to play with it, but I might OOC decide to let them because those players are intelligent about what goes in the thing, and I don't want to limit their fun just because they play a character like that.
((Lenglon looks at syvarris inquisitively, silently wondering who falls under which list and why.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11339 on: November 22, 2014, 05:12:40 pm »

@Radio

Hmm.  You do have a good point, that sending the PM to the Sword would accelerate our understanding of it, but I think that if people started messing with it on Heph we would get more data overall.  Primarily because we have flesh sods, which should make good, reliable, non-variable test subjects, which we can also feed basically anything we want to.  Random convicts have the issue that they vary between people, wouldn't (in general) be willing to take just any pill, aren't reliably available, ect.

True, but be honest: with all the shit you guys have to do, will you ever get around to it in a reasonable time? Besides, you wanna mess with it, you just tell Simus, she asks Miya for it back, and he'll ship it back to Hep toute suite. So, Hep peeps lose nothing, ship people get to hurt themselves some more but productively.

Pages: 1 ... 754 755 [756] 757 758 ... 2205