Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304419 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread
« Reply #3615 on: March 23, 2014, 01:17:40 pm »

They prefer that to start actual work on improving their country. Example: a person has a lawyer dyploma and is capable to work in justice system. He thinks that the justice is performed badly because the judges are bribed. What does that person do? Right, he starts complaining IRL, on internets and TV instead of becoming a judge and actually performing justice.
]
Changing system from inside is a rather naive idea. Quite a lot of Ukrainians tried to do that with the communist party.

Problem here that if you put a fresh cucumber in a barrel with prickled cucumbers it will not remain fresh for a long

If you don't follow the rules of the system you will be kicked out of corrupted system. If you follow them then you are a part of the corrupted system.
This is one of the main problems of post-Soviet politics. The word "changes" constantly muttered by liberal opposition members (and generally all opposition members around here) means complete destruction of the existing political and economic system. Any idea of non-radical reforms is discarded. The Russian version of the Internationale sums it up perfectly:

Весь мир насилья мы разрушим
До основанья, а затем
Мы наш, мы новый мир построим, —
Кто был ничем, тот станет всем!
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: March 23, 2014, 01:30:00 pm »

Guardian G.I. You see, curing a cancer by strengthening a body is impossible. Good diet and healthy lifestyle will not help
You need to hurt healthy parts of your body to have any hope to survive. Radiotherapy, Chemotherapy and surgery can kill you but not using that  will kill you with 100% probability.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: March 23, 2014, 01:32:18 pm »

They prefer that to start actual work on improving their country. Example: a person has a lawyer dyploma and is capable to work in justice system. He thinks that the justice is performed badly because the judges are bribed. What does that person do? Right, he starts complaining IRL, on internets and TV instead of becoming a judge and actually performing justice.
]
Changing system from inside is a rather naive idea. Quite a lot of Ukrainians tried to do that with the communist party.

Problem here that if you put a fresh cucumber in a barrel with prickled cucumbers it will not remain fresh for a long

If you don't follow the rules of the system you will be kicked out of corrupted system. If you follow them then you are a part of the corrupted system.
This is one of the main problems of post-Soviet politics. The word "changes" constantly muttered by liberal opposition members (and generally all opposition members around here) means complete destruction of the existing political and economic system. Any idea of non-radical reforms is discarded. The Russian version of the Internationale sums it up perfectly:

Весь мир насилья мы разрушим
До основанья, а затем
Мы наш, мы новый мир построим, —
Кто был ничем, тот станет всем!

So, basically 'nuke the world'?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: March 23, 2014, 01:33:01 pm »

Corruption is one of those things that is really difficult if not impossible to fix without completely breaking something down and rebuilding it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: March 23, 2014, 01:43:17 pm »

... at the same time, if no one at least tries to fight it from the inside, there's absolutely nothing preventing it from reaching the point outside intervention is required. Until something external can be done, someone has to fight the internal battle :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: March 23, 2014, 01:48:59 pm »

Corruption is one of those things that is really difficult if not impossible to fix without completely breaking something down and rebuilding it.
Thanks had that done twice in previous century. Lets try something else.

... at the same time, if no one at least tries to fight it from the inside, there's absolutely nothing preventing it from reaching the point outside intervention is required. Until something external can be done, someone has to fight the internal battle :-\
This was my original point.

Well, P., we complain here as well, so I guess we are intelligentsiya too?
Well, yes. But hey, as for me, I don't complain all the time. Actually, I complain rarely and mostly to myself, keeping it inside. Doesn't make me better, but ::).
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: March 23, 2014, 01:52:14 pm »

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: March 23, 2014, 01:54:31 pm »

Not sure how that's relevant to Crimea though.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: March 23, 2014, 01:58:13 pm »

So you had one revolution in your history that changed country for worse and now wary of doing any revolution?
And don't say me that 1991-1993 events were a revolution. Just a coup, elites were not changed

Not sure how that's relevant to Crimea though.
Well, I changed the name of the topic some time ago exactly because discussion is not Crimea centered for a quite a long time

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: March 23, 2014, 01:58:33 pm »

Okay, Please list all active recourses against corruption you have available in the current system, and whether they actually work. How can you actively fight it, not just be personally better? If someone in, say, a police department spoke out against their supervisor's corruption, would they get a medal or would they get fired?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: March 23, 2014, 02:00:26 pm »

The topic was Ukraine and the Euromaidan thing (which I'm not really clear on what it is).

No idea what the heck she is talking about with her thinking that Euromaidan is going to bring about a second holocaust, HOW would that even happen? Besides, any jewish genocide is going to get heavily cracked down on.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: March 23, 2014, 02:06:48 pm »

And they call us antisemitic?
Either they cut the actual moment from Youtube video, either I just cn't see where it was so horribly antisemitic.

Anв the source - radio Svoboda - I think cannot be called completely unbiased.

So you had one revolution in your history that changed country for worse and now wary of doing any revolution?
And don't say me that 1991-1993 events were a revolution. Just a coup, elites were not changed
Still, it was shitty time.

Okay, Please list all active recourses against corruption you have available in the current system, and whether they actually work. How can you actively fight it, not just be personally better? If someone in, say, a police department spoke out against their supervisor's corruption, would they get a medal or would they get fired?
I meant that if people generally do their duty as they should be, it'd be already better. Overall, I think corruption takes a special place among men and will be always represented. The question is, how important is it's role. If you can get away with speeding for a small fee to policeman, it's one case. If you can get away with mass murder, that's another.
You know, passive resisting. Gandhi and stuff. Remembered that while typing.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: March 23, 2014, 02:15:20 pm »

I meant that if people generally do their duty as they should be, it'd be already better. Overall, I think corruption takes a special place among men and will be always represented. The question is, how important is it's role. If you can get away with speeding for a small fee to policeman, it's one case. If you can get away with mass murder, that's another.
You know, passive resisting. Gandhi and stuff. Remembered that while typing.

I think you're avoiding the question.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: March 23, 2014, 02:26:54 pm »

Effective ways to resist corruption were introduced by Stalin. Worked great.

To be serious, I see either radical way, either thing I tried to suggest in previous post. All those "fair and legal" ways are nothing yet another fancy useless entertainment for perverted lawyers.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:28:45 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: March 23, 2014, 02:35:36 pm »

It might help if you had leader(s) who are actually interested in rooting out corruption, like say, Theodore Roosevelt.

Yes I know I gave an American example, I don't know of any Russian political figures (or even emerging figures) who are actually interested in fighting corruption. Other than maybe that one guy who is the only one who voted against annexation.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:37:14 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 286