Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304415 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread
« Reply #3600 on: March 22, 2014, 03:10:54 pm »

Beznogim, I... I cannot. You make me laugh harder than I have laughed in years. That is such wonderful apologism here, I don't even know what to say.

So I would like to ask you a question: we now know what you think of Circassian deportation, so please tell us what do you think of the Native American/American Indian deportation by the US?

Comrade P, yes, it's all about that damn paradigm.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 03:46:11 pm by Knit tie »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: March 22, 2014, 03:58:29 pm »

Banning medical imports seems like something you do TO a country, if you want to be really evil. Not something you do to yourself...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: March 22, 2014, 04:08:35 pm »

Banning medical imports seems like something you do TO a country, if you want to be really evil. Not something you do to yourself...
You see not only it doesn't hurt business of any of Putin's friend I am sure that contracts on that medical equipment will go to Putin's friend meaning more profit for some oligarch. Win-Win. They punish the West and make MORE money.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: March 22, 2014, 05:30:55 pm »

If not for the shadows I would've thought that was from some new computer game >_>
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: March 22, 2014, 05:47:21 pm »

You see not only it doesn't hurt business of any of Putin's friend I am sure that contracts on that medical equipment will go to Putin's friend meaning more profit for some oligarch. Win-Win. They punish the West and make MORE money.

Still hurts the Russian people. I know they are just banning medical imports from the west, but Iran doesn't do that to itself and yet they have shortages. If they want to use bogus pharmaceuticals from China or use traditional medicine like ground up seahorse, that's their problem.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: March 23, 2014, 06:14:30 am »

Reading some of this thread, I cannot help but think of my dad's quip: "There are two planets with intelligent life around Sol. One if Earth, the other is Russia." I mean, China and India are exotic, but somehow, they don't seems as foreign to my Western European eyes as Russia. It's like Russia is in an uncanny valley of its own.

Anyway, I had one question: does the Russian language differentiate between "ethnic Russians" and "citizens of the Russian federation"? If yes, which Russians is Putin claiming to help when going in Crimea?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: March 23, 2014, 06:19:34 am »

The Russian language differs even in between the "ethnic Russians". Also, don't use that word combination. There are no "ethnic Russians". The Russia is too big to have one single ethnicity.
._.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: March 23, 2014, 06:26:53 am »

The Russian language differs even in between the "ethnic Russians". Also, don't use that word combination. There are no "ethnic Russians". The Russia is too big to have one single ethnicity.
That's not what he meant.

The difference in terms is subtle. "Russkiy" could denote anything and anyone simply relating to Russia - be it as a citizen or as a cultural root of some kind. "Rossiyanin" can still be used ambiguously, but it's leaning much more strongly towards "citizen of Russia". I honestly don't remember which Putin was using, but if I had to guess, it's probably the former.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 06:28:40 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: March 23, 2014, 07:02:44 am »

Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear, but I meant it the Sean Mirrsen way.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: March 23, 2014, 07:42:47 am »

Has anybody heard news about that missile defense system that was put on ice a couple of years ago? They said on the radio that there were ideas about reactivating those plans.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #3610 on: March 23, 2014, 10:22:53 am »

I've definitely heard likewise, (though, just hearsay).

Googling it, apparently there was a dick-swinging contest in the baltic area concerning missiles back in december.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: March 23, 2014, 10:48:43 am »

90's just set a paradigm in heads: take whatever you want from your state, who cares, the get the hell out of country. It still works for a lot of men here.
It sucks. But what we do now - we set a new paradigm. At leat try to. When the generation in charge of power changes, things'll change all around us. No idea in what way they'll change, however.

Out of interest Comrade, when do you think the current generation in power will change? Can you see an end to the current establishment in the same way that things changed in the early 90s?
10-15 years maybe. Maybe more.
I think things won't go 90's-wise here because this generation was generally raised by people who scared the shit out of them with their talks about "horrible 90's when there was no bread in shops and bandits all over streets with no police against them (and sometime with them) and army that apparently completely fallen apart. So, do you want those back, kiddos?"
There is a strange thing: in Russia - especially in Moscow - there is a rather small strata of people who arу very well-run, never were hungry, have plenty of money and have good jobs, but still complain about government constantly because it "oppresses people of Russia (c)", though they maybe haven't been anywhere but Moscow in Russia. They are very active in socium, however, and most of opinions that are shown on "progressive and liberal" TV shows and written by "progressive and liberal" people in their LJ's come from those. And the main thing - most of them have no will to change a damn thing. All they like is to complain in internet or TV, maybe go to a meeting occasionally. That is their maximum. They prefer that to start actual work on improving their country. Example: a person has a lawyer dyploma and is capable to work in justice system. He thinks that the justice is performed badly because the judges are bribed. What does that person do? Right, he starts complaining IRL, on internets and TV instead of becoming a judge and actually performing justice.
And those people are the ones we used to call intelligentsia. It is an old tradition, which started even before USSR, in Russian Empire. Not like it is the best of our traditions. Overall, I don't think - I hope - things won't go 90's-wise, but we'll have some reforms. Lots of them. I hope they'd be performed more... smoothly since we need no general reforms, like from planned economy to market structure, but it'll take a whole abyss of lesser ones.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: March 23, 2014, 12:47:43 pm »

Well, P., we complain here as well, so I guess we are intelligentsiya too?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: March 23, 2014, 01:08:44 pm »

They prefer that to start actual work on improving their country. Example: a person has a lawyer dyploma and is capable to work in justice system. He thinks that the justice is performed badly because the judges are bribed. What does that person do? Right, he starts complaining IRL, on internets and TV instead of becoming a judge and actually performing justice.
Changing system from inside is a rather naive idea. Quite a lot of Ukrainians tried to do that with the communist party.

Problem here that if you put a fresh cucumber in a barrel with prickled cucumbers it will not remain fresh for a long

If you don't follow the rules of the system you will be kicked out of corrupted system. If you follow them then you are a part of the corrupted system.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: March 23, 2014, 01:16:28 pm »

Complaining is a necessary step toward changing anything. Complaining in and of itself won't do much, true, but the hope is to change opinions so public opinion turns against it.

Also I'll echo the statements about changing a system from within a system. Most systems are intentionally designed to inhibit that.

Sometimes you have to throw yourself on the wheels of the machine and make it stop. Sometimes you're given no other recourse.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 286