Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304385 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread
« Reply #3585 on: March 22, 2014, 01:09:25 pm »

Before people start tearing Beznogim to shreds, I want to say that I'm curious: how would Great Britain, France or any European country react to a similar situation Russia ended up in before the Caucasian War with mountain people constantly causing trouble on their borders?

... The only reason those 'mountain people' caused trouble is because of Russia occupying and destroying their lands. Occupying lands, being outright hostile to 'mountain people' and even not allowing them to represent themselves may build up resentment in local populations and lead to insurgency. Go figure.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: March 22, 2014, 01:13:17 pm »

No, the attitude is really dependent on person's initial behavior. If that Caucasian doesn't assault you and acts like a normal, civilized person, then he is treated like a normal person. If the person behaves like a subhuman monkey, then he is a subhuman monkey.
If that would be an American racist he would say something like:

"No, the attitude is really dependent on person's initial behavior. If that Black doesn't assault you and acts like a normal, civilized person, then he is treated like a normal person. If the person behaves like a subhuman monkey, then he is a subhuman monkey."

Racists don't seem to understand that calling a person something like n***r or monkey for his behavior is unacceptable even if that person does act badly in a way the racist dislike
Since when is it unacceptable to insult someone for their unacceptable behavior, regardless of any other variables? Russians (or Russia as a whole) get a whole lot of things being said at them for the events in Crimea.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: March 22, 2014, 01:17:42 pm »

Before people start tearing Beznogim to shreds, I want to say that I'm curious: how would Great Britain, France or any European country react to a similar situation Russia ended up in before the Caucasian War with mountain people constantly causing trouble on their borders?

... The only reason those 'mountain people' caused trouble is because of Russia occupying and destroying their lands. Occupying lands, being outright hostile to 'mountain people' and even not allowing them to represent themselves may build up resentment in local populations and lead to insurgency. Go figure.
Mountain people tend to create serious problems for invaders. Be it Scotland, Montenegro, Afghanistan, Western Ukraine, Caucasus.... And all of them  were called dirty cruel savagers and bandits who doesn't know how to work

Since when is it unacceptable to insult someone for their unacceptable behavior, regardless of any other variables? Russians (or Russia as a whole) get a whole lot of things being said at them for the events in Crimea.
While discussion in this thread is rather heated I don't remember anti-Russian racism. At least large scale one
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: March 22, 2014, 01:28:13 pm »

While discussion in this thread is rather heated I don't remember anti-Russian racist. At least large scale one
I didn't say "racist". Does a person have to be of any specific ethnicity, or fall under any other easily applicable label, in order to be eligible for verbal assault in response to unacceptable actions? That's what I meant, re: this:
Racists don't seem to understand that calling a person something like n***r or monkey for his behavior is unacceptable even if that person does act badly in a way the racist dislike
The labels just make the assault easier to carry out, and more/less effective.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: March 22, 2014, 01:31:54 pm »

Yep, entered thread, still arguing, and still about race. Why even bother having a thread if it does nothing but provoke people? I mean I want Russia-Ukraine to have it's own thread a lot, but this thread is not that. If you guys are going to continue on this train-of-thought, this thread will end up locked, and frankly it will not be missed.

On what I hope is a new subject, no Russia doesn't have a land bridge into Crimea. And saying there will be one doesn't count, it doesn't exist until it does. So until then Crimea is dependent on Ukraine for supplies, unless Russia wants to import it by sea, but that won't work on their most dependent substances, Water and Electricity, of which they get 80% from Ukraine. And, should Ukraine suddenly wish to change that relationship, Russia will need negotiate with people they do not recognize. This is quite possibly related to the reported seizure of a gas plant near the Crimean border
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: March 22, 2014, 01:35:16 pm »

Yep, entered thread, still arguing, and still about race. Why even bother having a thread if it does nothing but provoke people? I mean I want Russia-Ukraine to have it's own thread a lot, but this thread is not that. If you guys are going to continue on this train-of-thought, this thread will end up locked, and frankly it will not be missed.
In the grim darkness of any political and historical dispute about Russia, there is only war.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #3591 on: March 22, 2014, 01:36:14 pm »

Not only Not to mention, you're assuming Russia's motives are /actually/ aligned with 'protecting ethnic russians'.
I am honestly rather amused by this. Russia can't even have an honestly morally sound basis for its actions without it seeming like a coverup for something anymore. :P Not claiming it's true, just observing - if Russia did have the interests of ethnic Russians abroad in mind first and foremost, it would still get the same treatment, because 'obviously they can't be doing that just for the people'. :)

So, you're saying "Not that what you say isn't true, but you'd be saying that even if it weren't"?
That assertion's uh, it's kind of unfounded.

Meanwhile, the gravest 'threat' to crim-russians was the language law that was vetoed.

Also, would like to point out: your leader dude, good old Vlad, is /still/ telling everyone, personally, that the Russian troops in Crimea aren't Russian troops but 'local self-defense militias'. Forgive us for doubting him.  ::)
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: March 22, 2014, 01:37:54 pm »

In the grim darkness of any political and historical dispute about Russia, there is only war.

I'd add that there is only one war. We all know which one - whatever we discuss, we come up to one and the same war.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: March 22, 2014, 01:39:18 pm »

The War on Christmas?

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: March 22, 2014, 01:44:01 pm »

The War on Christmas?

Yes, yes. With two mustache-wearing guys one of whom stands for bearded man's thoughts and another wishing to get all the presents.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: March 22, 2014, 01:45:38 pm »

The War on Christmas?
Oh sure, many here are veterans of the Christmas wars; some even participated in the Bombardment of News Corp Headquarters.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: March 22, 2014, 01:59:19 pm »

This is getting pretty heated now and I'm starting to get a bit upset. Pretty much all of my sensibilities have been offended in the last 2 minutes. It would be best if I keep I spoiler on it and wrap it up there, we've pretty much said what needed to be said.

Current affairs regarding Crimea are more important than this line of thought and I'm sure people would rather not see my enormous walls of text, no matter how passionate they are.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 02:06:16 pm by Owlbread »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: March 22, 2014, 02:10:19 pm »

It's not that "we don't talk about the 90s" - it is that the 90s are a really shitty time - a time of anarchy, economical collapse and territories falling apart. A geopolitical catastrophe. Whatever happened during that period - is a shameful part of our history, indeed.

But it's very much behind you, isn't it? It's well behind you. The '90s were another time and all the guys who committed the atrocities and the crimes are all gone. They couldn't possibly be in government right now, could they?

90's just set a paradigm in heads: take whatever you want from your state, who cares, the get the hell out of country. It still works for a lot of men here.
It sucks. But what we do now - we set a new paradigm. At leat try to. When the generation in charge of power changes, things'll change all around us. No idea in what way they'll change, however.
Sigs

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: March 22, 2014, 02:13:08 pm »

90's just set a paradigm in heads: take whatever you want from your state, who cares, the get the hell out of country. It still works for a lot of men here.
It sucks. But what we do now - we set a new paradigm. At leat try to. When the generation in charge of power changes, things'll change all around us. No idea in what way they'll change, however.

Out of interest Comrade, when do you think the current generation in power will change? Can you see an end to the current establishment in the same way that things changed in the early 90s?

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: March 22, 2014, 02:23:54 pm »

Not only would the interim gov get soooo ousted, they may be giving it away for nothing. Not to mention, you're assuming Russia's motives are /actually/ aligned with 'protecting ethnic russians'.
I am honestly rather amused by this. Russia can't even have an honestly morally sound basis for its actions without it seeming like a coverup for something anymore. :P Not claiming it's true, just observing - if Russia did have the interests of ethnic Russians abroad in mind first and foremost, it would still get the same treatment, because 'obviously they can't be doing that just for the people'. :)

Also, shortage of something = incentive to develop better ways to produce something. Cruel and effective. ^_^

Welp, maybe someone doing risk assessment for the russian action plan in Crimea should have had a look at recent history and noticed that when the USA decided to go it alone, flout international opinion and fuck over another country, they took a massive cred hit that weakened their position globally and they're still barely recovering from it. A US politician can't even get out of bed without being accused of having ulterior motives.

Putin has done exactly the same arrogant mistakes that W did. "I'm going to fix something my predecessor couldn't, I might have to tweak some facts and twist some elbows to do it, but I'm going to be so popular afterwards!"
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 286