Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304392 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #3195 on: March 20, 2014, 07:39:34 am »

Should just get to naming this the Glorious Liberation of Crimea topic already if we're so dead set on parroting state media and feeding into victim complexes
Don't tempt me :D

(But the very first name of the topic - 3rd Soviet-Ukrainian war was the best one)

Sadly you called it correctly way back in January, though it's looking more likely to be much farther reaching than just Ukraine/Moscow, I'm actually rather worried that Russia's actions might trigger more violent nationalist revolutions in other countries that seemed relatively stable, yet fall apart as certain demographics lose confidence in their governments ability to keep Russia's influence out of their backyard.
In fact I'm surprised there hasn't been widespread violence against Russian speakers in eastern Ukraine, either your most fanatical neo-nazi nationalists lack the resources to do this, or more likely; they lack the desire to do it. I'm thinking it's a good sign anyway.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: March 20, 2014, 08:59:30 am »

Quote from: Ghazkull
@UR: of course they are doing nothing, they are just the transitional government they fear the anger of somebody coming down on them the moment they do something and it turns out wrong. At that moment everybody will point at them " WHAT YOU DID WAS WRONG AND YOU ARE NOT EVEN ALLOWED TO DO THAT" ...so yeah apart from holding tight till the elections those guys won't do anything due to fearing for their own hides.
Yep. But doing not enough in times like that may leave us without a country...

Still that is the best government Ukraine ever had. But it still has to many guys with roots in the former system. And let's be honest: They sucked in a role of opposition, if opposition is good in can become government without waiting till people start a rebellion .

Quote from: MarcAFK
In fact I'm surprised there hasn't been widespread violence against Russian speakers in eastern Ukraine, either your most fanatical neo-nazi nationalists lack the resources to do this, or more likely; they lack the desire to do it. I'm thinking it's a good sign anyway.
Whatever Russian propaganda may say, we have very few "All Russian speakers are enemies" kind of nationalist. Sadly after the events the number will raise but I think it will be manageable. And in long term very good for Ukrainian nationalism.

Nationalist is a very vague word. It's something like describing a person like "he is a member of Abrahamic religion". That can mean very different beliefs.

Same with Nationalism. You know what I think when I hear neo-nazi youth? "Guys to convert" not "Those demi-humans that must go to prison as soon possible" opinion that most liberals tend to have. In fact most of neo-nazi are guys who badly want to help their nation
They just choose easy routes Finding enemies and blaming them for everything bad that happens is one of that ways. As for Hitlerophilia... Well third Reich is alluring in it's  own way and young minds may fall in that trap

*Yep there are sadistic losers, paranoiacs  and sociopaths among them. Even worse they tend to take leadership. That's why it is extremely important to work with right youth. And work in style - "boo, you are a bad nazi, boo" will do nothing good.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: March 20, 2014, 09:01:28 am »

Ugh, the pro-soviet folks in this thread... It's like talking to a goddamn southerner who wants to relive the glory days of slavery, or those who idolize racist imperialists like Jackson.

Stop justifying your own evils by arguing that other people were worse. This forgives nothing.

A country who romanticizes its brutal and terrible past and attempts to justify what was done as being not-so-bad, is a country that will have great difficulty ever moving on, and who are far more likely to try and justify evils being done in the present. There were terrible evils committed by the soviet government, and arguments about "well you can't criticize because it didn't effect you directly" are just... pathetic.

Actually, if the Russian folks in this thread have convinced me of anything, it's just how alike they are with the southern confederate stalwarts.

Unwilling to admit defeat. Constant apologists for the evils their people did. Stuck in the past. Constant persecution complex. Incredibly powerful Us vs. Them mentality. Strong internal narrative casting themselves as the righteous standing up against the pervasive encroaching forces of immorality. A need for strong ideological leaders and a willingness to look the other way when those leaders break the law. An entire historical view built around "Fuck you, got mine".

It really seems like the same exact sort of mentality. No wonder some hard-line conservatives are such big fans of Putin and Russia.

And if this isn't what the Russian posters in this thread were trying to convey, well... you might want to work on your communication a bit, because that's basically the only message I've gotten, over and over again.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: March 20, 2014, 09:09:38 am »

You are putting words into their mouths.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: March 20, 2014, 09:19:37 am »

Yeah, the Soviet Nazis only killed a few ten millions. Nothing bad or anything.
I'm going to repeat a question I've asked earlier - did Russians kill any of your ancestors (or oppress them)? Such a high level of anti-Russian sentiment coming out of all of your posts here is baffling. I'm genuinely confused.

Yes. Volga Germans. Forcibly deported from the Saratov oblast to Siberia and their villages bulldozed into the earth. Your move, tovarisch.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: March 20, 2014, 09:21:40 am »

You guys keep saying or thinking Ukranian Ranger is Russian, but isn't he actually Ukranian? And no I'm not going by his username alone.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: March 20, 2014, 09:23:53 am »

You guys keep saying or thinking Ukranian Ranger is Russian, but isn't he actually Ukranian? And no I'm not going by his username alone.
...I think you have to be literally blind to think UR is Russian.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: March 20, 2014, 09:28:30 am »

...I think you have to be literally blind to think UR is Russian.

I'm not one of those who think UR is Russian, but several posters in the last few pages have claimed he is Russian or called him Russian.

Or rather I think it was just Comrade P. who was calling UR out as Russian, not sure if a few others were calling UR Russian.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 09:30:45 am by smjjames »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: March 20, 2014, 09:43:46 am »

You are putting words into their mouths.
Nope - the 'US did it too' argument comes up surprisingly often, even in a discussion this good.

I did not get that impression from my media. The impression I got was some discontent at the government in Kiev, then Russians. I didn't get the need to invade.
Because Russian Empire.
Now this is something I don't get - Sergarr, are you going soft? Hehe~
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: March 20, 2014, 09:49:20 am »

The Crimean authorities claim they arrested the sniper from the shooting in Simferopol. They say it was a 17 year old from Western Ukraine, who shot at both sides to provoke an incident. If that is true (I haven't seen confirmation), I have to note that this would be the first instance of such a provokation in Crimea or in Ukraine that would be proven. Might very well just be a confused angry kid.

Yeah, the Soviet Nazis only killed a few ten millions. Nothing bad or anything.
I'm going to repeat a question I've asked earlier - did Russians kill any of your ancestors (or oppress them)? Such a high level of anti-Russian sentiment coming out of all of your posts here is baffling. I'm genuinely confused.

Yes. Volga Germans. Forcibly deported from the Saratov oblast to Siberia and their villages bulldozed into the earth. Your move, tovarisch.
That was directed at Mictlantecuhtli specifically I think.

Or rather I think it was just Comrade P. who was calling UR out as Russian, not sure if a few others were calling UR Russian.
That was sarcasm, he called him Russian politician No1.

Same with Nationalism. You know what I think when I hear neo-nazi youth? "Guys to convert" not "Those demi-humans that must go to prison as soon possible" opinion that most liberals tend to have. In fact most of neo-nazi are guys who badly want to help their nation
They just choose easy routes Finding enemies and blaming them for everything bad that happens is one of that ways. As for Hitlerophilia... Well third Reich is alluring in it's  own way and young minds may fall in that trap

*Yep there are sadistic losers, paranoiacs  and sociopaths among them. Even worse they tend to take leadership. That's why it is extremely important to work with right youth. And work in style - "boo, you are a bad nazi, boo" will do nothing good.
Exactly. There are plenty of people who easily fall for what looks like a simple solution and a clear world view. Maintaining democracy means you have to reach out to misguided people too, especially youths.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: March 20, 2014, 09:53:15 am »

The Crimean authorities claim they arrested the sniper from the shooting in Simferopol. They say it was a 17 year old from Western Ukraine, who shot at both sides to provoke an incident. If that is true (I haven't seen confirmation), I have to note that this would be the first instance of such a provokation in Crimea or in Ukraine that would be proven. Might very well just be a confused angry kid.

That's most likely a fake
http://www.stopfake.org/militsiya-kryma-ne-podtverdila-novost-o-zaderzhanii-snajpera/
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: March 20, 2014, 09:57:08 am »

That was sarcasm, he called him Russian politician No1.

Oh, apologies for misunderstanding.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: March 20, 2014, 10:01:03 am »

That's most likely a fake
http://www.stopfake.org/militsiya-kryma-ne-podtverdila-novost-o-zaderzhanii-snajpera/
Very good then, thanks. I had only seen the initial report, not the second one denying it.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: March 20, 2014, 11:04:54 am »

Spoiler: More sanctions (click to show/hide)
Hmmm, like some surnames of Putin's  friends here.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread
« Reply #3209 on: March 20, 2014, 11:08:40 am »

Any idea why Putin himself isn't on the list?
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 286