Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304382 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread
« Reply #3210 on: March 20, 2014, 11:10:51 am »

Any idea why Putin himself isn't on the list?
That will result in a Nuclear War :D

To be serious I think it is reserved for later use
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: March 20, 2014, 11:11:42 am »

Diplomatic reasons maybe? I think someone said a couple pages ago that they aren't sanctioning Putin yet because they aren't doing all assets at once and that it's a more gradual proccess.

Honestly, no idea why Putin hasn't been sanctioned yet.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #3212 on: March 20, 2014, 11:14:54 am »

You guys keep saying or thinking Ukranian Ranger is Russian, but isn't he actually Ukranian? And no I'm not going by his username alone.
...I think you have to be literally blind to think UR is Russian.

I'm not one of those who think UR is Russian, but several posters in the last few pages have claimed he is Russian or called him Russian.

Or rather I think it was just Comrade P. who was calling UR out as Russian, not sure if a few others were calling UR Russian.

I dissaprove your words. I am well aware that he is Ukrainian. Since the very beginning of this thread. Even from the Sheb's thread abouet EU politics, to be precise.

Ugh, the pro-soviet folks in this thread... It's like talking to a goddamn southerner who wants to relive the glory days of slavery, or those who idolize racist imperialists like Jackson.

Stop justifying your own evils by arguing that other people were worse. This forgives nothing.

A country who romanticizes its brutal and terrible past and attempts to justify what was done as being not-so-bad, is a country that will have great difficulty ever moving on, and who are far more likely to try and justify evils being done in the present. There were terrible evils committed by the soviet government, and arguments about "well you can't criticize because it didn't effect you directly" are just... pathetic.

Actually, if the Russian folks in this thread have convinced me of anything, it's just how alike they are with the southern confederate stalwarts.

Unwilling to admit defeat. Constant apologists for the evils their people did. Stuck in the past. Constant persecution complex. Incredibly powerful Us vs. Them mentality. Strong internal narrative casting themselves as the righteous standing up against the pervasive encroaching forces of immorality. A need for strong ideological leaders and a willingness to look the other way when those leaders break the law. An entire historical view built around "Fuck you, got mine".

It really seems like the same exact sort of mentality. No wonder some hard-line conservatives are such big fans of Putin and Russia.

And if this isn't what the Russian posters in this thread were trying to convey, well... you might want to work on your communication a bit, because that's basically the only message I've gotten, over and over again.

You're saying all that like it's a bad thing. Yeah, yeah, stupid russkie I am, yeah...

I guess that it is all about ethernal "Conservative vs. Liberal"
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 11:30:54 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: March 20, 2014, 11:20:27 am »

Any idea why Putin himself isn't on the list?

Putin has been zealous about keeping his assets inside Russia AFAIK.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: March 20, 2014, 11:20:38 am »

You guys keep saying or thinking Ukranian Ranger is Russian, but isn't he actually Ukranian? And no I'm not going by his username alone.

I'm not one of those who think UR is Russian, but several posters in the last few pages have claimed he is Russian or called him Russian.

Or rather I think it was just Comrade P. who was calling UR out as Russian, not sure if a few others were calling UR Russian.

I dissaprove your words. I am well aware that he is Ukrainian. Since the very beginning of this thread. Even from the Sheb's thread abouet EU politics, to be precise.

Comrade P. It was a misunderstanding and misinterpretation of your words on my part and I apologize. I didn't catch the fact that the russian politician #1 bit was sarcasm and thought it was something else.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: March 20, 2014, 11:24:48 am »

Comrade P. It was a misunderstanding and misinterpretation of your words on my part and I apologize. I didn't catch the fact that the russian politician #1 bit was sarcasm and thought it was something else.

Apologies accepted :).
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: March 20, 2014, 11:36:19 am »

Why do i feel that the Iron Curtain will return ?

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Beznogim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: March 20, 2014, 11:40:30 am »

Stop justifying your own evils by arguing that other people were worse. This forgives nothing.
None of us wants somebody to forgive us for it. We (at least, the overwhelming majority) are proud of our past, we are absolutely cool with it, and have nothing to be ashamed of.

A country who romanticizes its brutal and terrible past and attempts to justify what was done as being not-so-bad, is a country that will have great difficulty ever moving on, and who are far more likely to try and justify evils being done in the present. There were terrible evils committed by the soviet government, and arguments about "well you can't criticize because it didn't effect you directly" are just... pathetic.

Actually, if the Russian folks in this thread have convinced me of anything, it's just how alike they are with the southern confederate stalwarts.

Our "brutal and terrible past" has brought us might and prosperity. It definitely is "not-so-bad' in my book, for it is due to it we are where we are and who we are - even after USSR collapse we are still a considerable force to be reckoned with, not some third world country.
What future could your southern confederates possibly have offered and now southerners regret of not having it? Plantations, slavery, agriculture. It was a road to nowhere, stagnation being a banana republic.
And what did we achieve under Soviet regime? Nuclear power, space program, heavy industrialization. Even if you say there were crimes committed, it was damn worth it. No regrets, no remorse.

Unwilling to admit defeat. Constant apologists for the evils their people did. Stuck in the past. Constant persecution complex. Incredibly powerful Us vs. Them mentality. Strong internal narrative casting themselves as the righteous standing up against the pervasive encroaching forces of immorality. A need for strong ideological leaders and a willingness to look the other way when those leaders break the law. An entire historical view built around "Fuck you, got mine".

It really seems like the same exact sort of mentality. No wonder some hard-line conservatives are such big fans of Putin and Russia.

We admitted, that the fall of the Soviet Union was a great geopolitical catastrophe. Yes, we suffered defeat. But do you really think, we would be content with the current configuration? USA, being the only superpower in the world, invading any country it wants and bossing everyone around? The fact that we also have imperial ambitions, should serve as a sobering revelation and a counterbalancing factor, making the world realize again, that the West can no longer just enforce its will on the rest of the world. Not in our sphere of interest.
Our actions seem righteous enough to me. If the law is not effective in the slightest, then it is a bad law. If one side inconsequentially breaks it numerous times for decades, we would be fools to just sit humbly by.
От БЕЗНОГNМ станет всем ДОСМОТ,
От БЕЗНОГNМ V1 o5 u2,
НЕ ПЫТАЙТЕСБ ЧТОТ0 NЗМЕНИТЬ!
Просмотревших людей сойдут с ума!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: March 20, 2014, 11:47:34 am »

Someone might want to tell him Imperialism stopped being acceptable sometime in the 80s. Economic imperialism is one thing. Walking into someone's country and absorbing it is quite another.

But whatever. It's known as Machismo in Latin America. What's the Russian word for it?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: March 20, 2014, 11:51:46 am »

I dunno about Russia, but up here we just call it small penis complex.
Love, scriver~

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: March 20, 2014, 11:53:07 am »

Well, if there was any doubt about whether my words were accurate before, Beznogim has made it quite clear that there are at least some people it applies to perfectly.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: March 20, 2014, 11:53:38 am »

None of us wants somebody to forgive us for it. We (at least, the overwhelming majority) are proud of our past, we are absolutely cool with it, and have nothing to be ashamed of.

Our "brutal and terrible past" has brought us might and prosperity. It definitely is "not-so-bad' in my book, for it is due to it we are where we are and who we are - even after USSR collapse we are still a considerable force to be reckoned with, not some third world country.
What future could your southern confederates possibly have offered and now southerners regret of not having it? Plantations, slavery, agriculture. It was a road to nowhere, stagnation being a banana republic.
And what did we achieve under Soviet regime? Nuclear power, space program, heavy industrialization. Even if you say there were crimes committed, it was damn worth it. No regrets, no remorse.

We admitted, that the fall of the Soviet Union was a great geopolitical catastrophe. Yes, we suffered defeat. But do you really think, we would be content with the current configuration? USA, being the only superpower in the world, invading any country it wants and bossing everyone around? The fact that we also have imperial ambitions, should serve as a sobering revelation and a counterbalancing factor, making the world realize again, that the West can no longer just enforce its will on the rest of the world. Not in our sphere of interest.
Our actions seem righteous enough to me. If the law is not effective in the slightest, then it is a bad law. If one side inconsequentially breaks it numerous times for decades, we would be fools to just sit humbly by.

This is a little thing known as 'Tu quoque'.

The fact that USA does something =/=
a) it being good
b) allowing anyone else to do so.

Furthermore, sure, you can argue that, but be congruous. If you allow Russia to respond by doing the same thing as the US, you have no right to condemn the US.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: March 20, 2014, 11:58:25 am »

I dunno about Russia, but up here we just call it small penis complex.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: March 20, 2014, 11:59:31 am »

Have fun living in the 19th century while your neighbors join the modern world.  Want to know why they are fleeing you in droves?  This exact opinion.

It will be funny to watch when the energy boom in Russia has run it's course and you lot realize that opportunities you pissed away.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: March 20, 2014, 11:59:43 am »

You don't counter imperialism with more imperialism.

And you can be proud of progress while being remorseful for atrocities. Even if that progress was because of the atrocities.

As a Canadian, I'm proud of my nation for it's historical commitment to liberalism and social democracy, as well as it's technological advances and multicultural society. But I am ashamed of it's colonialism and desecration of the land in pursuit of profits, of the genocide against natives in the residency schools as late as the 60s or 70s. Of the fact that we only got our first great national pride because of an act of brutal war at Vimy Ridge, killing innocent teenage German conscripts.

Without the colonialism Canada wouldn't even exist, let alone be technologically or politically advanced. That doesn't mean that colonialism is a GOOD thing.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 286