Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304927 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2685 on: March 16, 2014, 04:51:16 am »

Well, the glass boxes aren't problematic. It's not like Yes and No votes have to go in separate boxes, so the material really doesn't matter.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: March 16, 2014, 04:56:41 am »

I am wondering what the numbers will be. Will they try to remain in the realm of plausibility?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: March 16, 2014, 04:59:35 am »

Well, the glass boxes aren't problematic. It's not like Yes and No votes have to go in separate boxes, so the material really doesn't matter.
I wasn't sure on the separate boxes, so yeah, that might not be a problem. Still it's not really a secret vote I think, at least not something I've seen before.

I am wondering what the numbers will be. Will they try to remain in the realm of plausibility?
Well, they said they expect over 80% for Russia, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they got 80%. Something between 60% and 70% would be plausible I guess, considering ethnicities and pressure.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: March 16, 2014, 05:02:58 am »

Anyway, the referendum is far from neutral. I mean, choosing for the status-quo isn't even an option. You either vote for Russian annexation, or for Crimean quasi independence.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: March 16, 2014, 05:23:03 am »

It's a farce anyway and pretty much everybody knows it. Apparently some European far-righters did follow Putin's invitation to observe the vote. If you scroll down here, there are some funny tweets about a Flemish observer who doesn't seem to take his job very seriously.
I've read that Belarus, Kasachstan and Kirgistan are more or less distancing themselves from the Russian course of action here, which goes to show how much diplomatic influence this costs Putin.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: March 16, 2014, 06:51:46 am »

I'm sorry guys, I haven't kept track of last 50 pages, and maybe this video from ZDF (Die Anstalt show) was already posted. If not, there it went.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: March 16, 2014, 07:00:19 am »

The translation is rather suboptimal, so it's sometimes interesting to understand what's going on. Also, political satire.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 07:04:10 am by 10ebbor10 »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: March 16, 2014, 07:39:29 am »

I actually like the DDR anthem a lot.
The anthem of Oceania from the film adaptation of Orwell's "1984" seems to be inspired by it. Just compare it to the GDR anthem, especially the instrumental version of it.

I'm sorry guys, I haven't kept track of last 50 pages, and maybe this video from ZDF (Die Anstalt show) was already posted. If not, there it went.

The translation is rather bad. Judging by what I have understood, I want to say one thing.

[liberalmode]These people can't understand a damn thing. As we all know, and as the most truthful and democratic Western media say, the free people of Ukraine have peacefully overthrown the totalitarian dictator installed and backed by Russia, and they did that all by themselves, without any foreign support; there were no radical nationalists and neo-Nazis among them, everyone who says otherwise repeat Putin's propaganda.

Today, these satirists condemn the peaceful Ukrainian democratic revolution, and it's very likely that Russia paid them to do that. Tomorrow, they will praise Putin (who is basically the reincarnation of Hitler, or maybe even worse, the reincarnation of Stalin) invading the EU. The day after tomorrow, they will praise the return of Stasi![/liberalmode]
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: March 16, 2014, 07:45:50 am »

Guardian, stop hoarding all the straw, you're raising the prices for the rest of us.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: March 16, 2014, 07:55:45 am »

The translation is rather bad. Judging by what I have understood, I want to say one thing.

[liberalmode]These people can't understand a damn thing. As we all know, and as the most truthful and democratic Western media say, the free people of Ukraine have peacefully overthrown the totalitarian dictator installed and backed by Russia, and they did that all by themselves, without any foreign support; there were no radical nationalists and neo-Nazis among them, everyone who says otherwise repeat Putin's propaganda.

Today, these satirists condemn the peaceful Ukrainian democratic revolution, and it's very likely that Russia paid them to do that. Tomorrow, they will praise Putin (who is basically the reincarnation of Hitler, or maybe even worse, the reincarnation of Stalin) invading the EU. The day after tomorrow, they will praise the return of Stasi![/liberalmode]

Well, I actually found this video with russian subtitles first, and then looked for a decent analog with english ones. I cannot judge about translation (I mean how much it is relevant to the point of speaker) due to the fact I do not speak German.
Also, I liked that liberal opinion...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: March 16, 2014, 07:59:05 am »

I really do hope that was sarcasm. Because otherwise, it just shows just how little you know about what "western media" is saying.
Love, scriver~

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: March 16, 2014, 08:29:49 am »

Guardian, stop hoarding all the straw, you're raising the prices for the rest of us.
Dirty capistalist, you!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: March 16, 2014, 08:43:44 am »

Did OSCE changed its mind and is monitoring the referendum?
Make love not war

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: March 16, 2014, 10:18:03 am »

Dirty capistalist, you!
That's racist!

There we go, now I have some straw for a bed :P
That's ... not actually a straw man. That's a simple accusation. You're not painting a picture of his arguments as the most easy to defeat. You're just calling him racist for no appreciable reason . . .
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: March 16, 2014, 10:32:13 am »

Dirty capistalist, you!
That's racist!

There we go, now I have some straw for a bed :P
That's ... not actually a straw man. That's a simple accusation. You're not painting a picture of his arguments as the most easy to defeat. You're just calling him racist for no appreciable reason . . .
Great.

I can accidentally construct strawmen, but have no clue how to do so purposefully.
I can construct them purposefully! But I find myself constructing them accidentally far more often.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 286