Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304924 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2670 on: March 15, 2014, 03:20:55 pm »

Russia has moved troops out of Crimea into the Ukraine proper. there was a clash with Ukrainian border defenses, and the Russian's emerged victorious.

The official statement is that the troops were not invading, merely "responding to an imminent threat of terrorist attack" and it occurred by request of the de facto Crimean PM.
Clash is a loud word here. One more starring match
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: March 15, 2014, 04:05:00 pm »

Putin: World Champion at Sarcastaball.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: March 15, 2014, 04:47:49 pm »

Were any shots fired in the confrontation?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: March 15, 2014, 05:10:31 pm »

People watch those events as if watching football matches and pick a side by the most superficial reasons (messi is cute, ronaldo is handsome).

watching the two opposing leaders:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
putin is really stepping out of line and needs to be stopped.

I'm sad that people can look at pictures like that and not think it's utterly ridiculous.
Love, scriver~

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: March 15, 2014, 05:27:02 pm »

I'm sad that people still think that emotions still mean something in global politics.

EDIT: And that image is ridiculous. Who's the guy on the right, though?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:30:19 pm by Sergarr »
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: March 15, 2014, 05:33:13 pm »

President Obama. I must add that he looks much less staged than Putin.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: March 15, 2014, 06:55:07 pm »

One thing I never understood is that in large areas of the internet, Putin is considered awesome.

To me, he's always (not recently, ALWAYS) seemed like a dick.
Well, I can partially understand how common people in Russia can think that someone like Putin is needed to lead the country, with all the corruption in the system and oligarchs running amok. Conditions like that practicaly beg for support for totalitarian regime to purge the system, no mater how misguided and manipulated said support is. But outside Russia? Fuck, these people would probably vote for Hitler Mussolini v2.0 if there ever is one...
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: March 15, 2014, 07:01:26 pm »

Were any shots fired in the confrontation?
No. A gas plant 10km north of the Crimean border was occupied though.

People watch those events as if watching football matches and pick a side by the most superficial reasons (messi is cute, ronaldo is handsome).
That might be true for some people. I'm more concerned that there might be a war pretty close. If I start driving right now, I'm in Ukraine in under 2 days. So, that's not a place I want to see sink into chaos, not even considering the WW3 speculation stuff.

As expected the UN security council failed in their vote against the Crimea referendum, due to the Russian veto. However, China abstained from voting, so they are not throwing their support behind Putin.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 07:14:32 pm by XXSockXX »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: March 15, 2014, 07:34:10 pm »

What exactly is the purpose of an organization where the subjects of any action can vote to veto it?

So absurd. >_<

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: March 15, 2014, 07:43:39 pm »

Well, I said many pages ago, the UN security council is completely useless against it's own members, as evidenced by the Iraq war. It's all mostly symbolic. At least China not supporting Russia is a good sign, because it means they don't have that much diplomatic weight behind them.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: March 15, 2014, 07:45:58 pm »

China's attitude is not surprising. I heard people predict they wouldn't be cool with Russia a month ago, at least.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 07:47:49 pm by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: March 15, 2014, 08:01:02 pm »

IMO it actually means that China doesn't really give two flying foques about the Ukraine crisis.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: March 15, 2014, 08:02:08 pm »

China's attitude is not surprising. I heard people predict they wouldn't be cool with Russia a month ago, at least.
Yes, because while they have so far backed Russia politically, they have no economic interest in a renewed Cold War style division of the world.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: March 15, 2014, 09:17:47 pm »

China is very divided. On one hand, they are morally opposed (morally isn't the right word; philosophically? Politically? It goes against everything they believe in and work by, essentially) to both Russian interventionism, self-determination, and the breaking of established borders. Between the Uighurs, Taiwan, and the rest, they don't like letting people who don't want to be part of China have the decision to decide; supporting Russia means supporting that. Foreign interventions as well are against Chinese tradition; for all the shit about China ruling the world, they barely assert their presence in their own backyard, given how large they are. Supporting Russia is abhorrent to them.

On the other hand, Russia. Russia is China's big ole partner. They do business together, they both used to be part of the eastern bloc, they stand against the west together. Not supporting Russia is betrayal.

On a third hand, China has invested a lot in Ukraine. That's some real monies right there man. Money means a lot to the modern day merchant state.

China is trying very, very hard to pretend it doesn't exist.
One thing I never understood is that in large areas of the internet, Putin is considered awesome.

To me, he's always (not recently, ALWAYS) seemed like a dick.
Well unlike a certain country I can think of, Russia has, largely, had a free internet (although there has been some subtle things going on. Nothing overt until 2012, and the serious enforcement appears to be coming out now). There is no "Great firewall of Russia" type deal going on, and no censor army the size of Detroit. Thus, Russians are more or less part of the Confederacy of the Greater Interwebz like most nations. Maybe an autonomous region (lol, autonomous in a confederacy. What would that even mean?)

So it seems Russia is moving to secure regions near Crimea. That makes sense; there has been a lot of talk about how Russia would handle Crimea if Ukraine pulled the plug on them.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: March 16, 2014, 04:48:25 am »

The referendum has begun.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I was gonna comment on the subtle colouring of the polling booth, but these are Crimean colors too, so that's ok.
Note the glass boxes, no pressure there, just transparency. (I've read though that is common in Ukraine, which would explain that.)
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 286