Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305115 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2175 on: March 07, 2014, 06:54:12 pm »

Here, Boki was associated with pro-putin in my head from back here.

burp
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: March 07, 2014, 06:58:04 pm »

Boki, are you Serb?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: March 07, 2014, 06:58:28 pm »

Boki's right, Yugoslavia was way worse than Ukraine. Mictlan is also right, what Putin does is still not okay: even if ethnic russians welcome him, he is still just going for a powergrab and inadvertenly causing ethnic splitting in the region.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: March 07, 2014, 06:59:26 pm »

burp

I was just posting the facts about the situation. I mean, people are making this look 10 times worse than it is, and in that post i said its not that bad, because its not. Bad things did not yet happen, and lets hope they will not happen. When I say bad, I really mean very bad things.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: March 07, 2014, 07:00:20 pm »

All I'm trying to say is that the Crimea/Yugoslav comparison falls short because the Crimean situation is still developing. We don't have full blown ethnic strife yet, which I argue would be next if we continue to allow provocation [or false flag provocation, in the case of those who simply want to watch this all burn] like this to continue. We'd all like to see this end peacefully, and 3rd parties meddling within already strained ethnic regions is known to heighten those tensions.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: March 07, 2014, 07:11:32 pm »

Boki's right, Yugoslavia was way worse than Ukraine. Mictlan is also right, what Putin does is still not okay

While what Putin is doing is still a problem this is ignoring the fact that Mictlan is arguing with things that Boki never said nor insinuated nor appears to agree with.

All I'm trying to say is that the Crimea/Yugoslav comparison falls short because the Crimean situation is still developing.

That's all very nice but it's completely different from what he was saying!

This isn't a pro-Putin anti-Putin argument, it's a pro-reading comprehension anti-reading argument.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: March 07, 2014, 07:12:48 pm »

Revise why, because something that had happen 50 years ago can happen again? The fact is the thing now that are happening in ukraine is nothing close to things in yugoslavia. Trust me if you think marker on doors, and possibility moving people to some other parts are bad, you dont know anything about shit that happend in ex yu. So I am not sure what you are talking about.

Is it
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: March 07, 2014, 07:16:09 pm »

That is not a pro-Putin position necessarily, it's not a Western one either, and not one I agree with, but not really defending Putin.

Yugoslavia was worse because the fucking situation continued as it did, if we ignore Crimea and allow factionalization and ethnic strife to continue to boil below the surface it will be akin to that situation.
Yugoslavia was an entirely different situation. Ethnic strife might happen in Crimea or it might not, that is conjecture at this point. We don't know at all what is going on with Crimea at this point, there are plenty of possibilities.
Just because Putin is wrong doesn't mean we should prematurely accuse him of something that might never happen. That just devalues any serious arguments that are to be had. Currently the problem is not ethnic cleansing, but blatantly ignoring Ukraine's sovereignty and possibly provoking an armed conflict.
And yeah, you need to read a bit more carefully, you pretty much accused boki of saying the opposite of what he actually said. There's no problem with disagreeing, but there is really no need to take it over the top.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: March 07, 2014, 07:17:29 pm »

There's been reports of X's on Jewish synagogues and Crimean Tatar houses, so I don't think it's unfounded to fear ethnic strife in the future if things don't settle down in Crimea. Putin is trying to stir up such strife.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:19:15 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: March 07, 2014, 07:36:58 pm »

Putin is trying to stir up such strife.

And why does he try to to do that? If Crimean Tatars get killed by Russians, it'll ruin the excuse of Russian civilians being under threat. Unless Putin is going out of his way to be !ЁVIL!, there's absolute no reason for him to create ethnic strife on purpose.
Judging by your previous posts in this thread, you seem to think that Putin's actions in Crimea are motivated by one single goal - kill all the Crimean Tatars, Jews and other minorities, like he's a comic book villain. He's not one. He is trying to secure the strategic Sevastopol naval base, and not kill some people because he had a bad day.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: March 07, 2014, 07:49:17 pm »

Do you remember why Russia genocided the Tartars and the other Black Sea peoples the other times they did so, Guardian?
Love, scriver~

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: March 07, 2014, 07:55:44 pm »

Yeah, I guess there is a possibility of ethnic conflict and the current unstable situation does not help with that. I can see how maybe some Russian nationalists might be encouraged to do something stupid, as they feel very safe now.
I don't see however how that would be in Putin's interest. If he wants to be the one to bring order to the region, and that is how he portrays himself, then that would be extremely counterproductive. His narrative is basically that he saves people from a fascist invasion. If he wants to annex Crimea, he will very much prefer to do that without bloodshed.
He already has a lot of diplomatic trouble with Crimea as it is, since the West won't accept the referendum on the basis that it's blackmail. Ethnic cleansing is the last thing he needs right now, it would be even worse for him than a conflict with the Ukrainian army (which also would be very unpopular), because it destroys his entire justification for the current army presence.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #2187 on: March 07, 2014, 08:08:08 pm »

The Xs don't seem to be wide-spread, and the men doing the tagging were only ever described as '(truncheon-wielding) russian-speaking crimeans'. Only from a couple sources as well.

Doesn't sound orchestrated/related.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: March 07, 2014, 09:28:00 pm »

I am worried that the whole situation is inflaming and strengthening both the Russian and Ukrainian fascist brands though.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: March 07, 2014, 09:31:10 pm »

snip
snip
snip

Goddammit mainiac, I am trying to defuse a conflict here. /joke

Regarding the ethnic cleansing or just any violence towards civilians in general, I say that Putin's approval is not really needed for that kind of thing to occur. I am currently sitting in Russia, and the social media is abuzz with nationalistic and anti-ukrainian sentiments. Most of the people talking about the invasion seem to think that Putin's actions are either perfectly right or disproportionate but well-justified. The hurt national pride I mentioned earlier comes into play as well and introduces anti-maidan bias, since getting Crimea annexed would leave Russia much more "respected", to quote the most often used word in pro-Putin arguments. So far, a lot of Russians think that they genuinely are protecting their brethren from extremist depredations, and this sort of thinking can and has often lead to ethnic tensions and violence towards civilians. If the standoff continues, it is not unreasonable to assume that we will eventually see roving bands of vigilantes in Crimea "preemptively" lynching the Tatar and the ukrainians.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 286