Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305100 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2145 on: March 07, 2014, 04:00:40 pm »

More like "Do you want Independence" or "Do you want de-facto independence?" because I think Crimea is going to get far, far more devolution than Scotland ever will. Labour MPs are balking at the idea of devolving income tax powers for heaven's sake, in Yugoslavia the republics had their own sodding armies.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: March 07, 2014, 04:10:06 pm »

Labour MPs are balking at the idea of devolving income tax powers
I want to make a satirical comment but have no idea what the above means. Is that bad? What the hell does military police have to do with this?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: March 07, 2014, 04:17:40 pm »

I want to make a satirical comment but have no idea what the above means. Is that bad? What the hell does military police have to do with this?

With "devolution of income tax powers", Scotland would be able to set up its own income tax regime independent of the UK at large. "Devolution" means giving power to a region.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: March 07, 2014, 04:23:48 pm »

Quote from: wiki
Crimea was at the time part of the Ukrainian SSR which was one of the constituent republics of the Soviet Union. In February 1992 the Crimean parliament transformed Crimea into "Republic of Crimea" and the Ukrainian government offered them more self-government. On 5 May 1992 parliament declared Crimea independent (which was yet to be approved by a referendum to be held 2 August 1992 and passed the first Crimean constitution the same day. On 6 May 1992 the same parliament inserted a new sentence into this constitution that declared that Crimea was part of Ukraine. On 13 May 1992 the Verkhovna Rada (the Ukrainian parliament) annulled Crimea's independence declaration and gave its Crimean counterpart one week to do the same. In June 1992 the parties reached a compromise and Crimea was given the status of "Autonomous Republic"
1992 constitution is de facto independence but they'll still be able to vote on our elections, pay no tariffs and receive money from our budget for pensions and stuff.  The best kind of Independence ever
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: March 07, 2014, 04:27:13 pm »

MP is "Member of Parliament", not "Military Police", in this case.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: March 07, 2014, 04:59:57 pm »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: March 07, 2014, 05:04:09 pm »

MP is "Member of Parliament", not "Military Police", in this case.
Why not MoP? It'd be hilarious.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: March 07, 2014, 05:18:02 pm »

I was reading an article about Yugoslavian wars earlier today and what's going on in Ukraine right now is strangely similar, if only in spirit.
I see very few similarities myself.....

I am in pessimistic mood, looks like Crimea is lost already. Russia concentrates more and more troops there and nothing is done to stop them.
TBH, there's not much you could have done.

People fight back? Justifies Russian intervention.
Ukrainian army fights back? Justifies it, and justifies Russia taking even more land.
Do nothing? This result.
You see... That's about country prestige. We had enough time to demonstrate  our peaceful intentions and restraint to the world. Now Ukraine is a country that has thousands of armed terrorist on it's territory and does nothing. It doesn't protects basic right of it's citizens in Crimea.

Now it's time to declare state of emergence in Crimea, commandant hour and everything that comes with it - anyone coming close to a military base=Shoot  anyone armed on the streets=shoot. If this means a war, then it is war. Else... There are no country and few months later Russians will just go and take the whole country.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: March 07, 2014, 05:39:12 pm »

You shoot them, there'll be no country and a lot of body bags.
That is an old choice between war and dishonor. As it was 75 years ago choosing dishonor will guarantee that we'll get both. So no way to avoid body bags

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: March 07, 2014, 05:43:25 pm »

Putin is using justifications eerily similar to the ones Milosevic used.
Dude, dont talk about something about you dont know much.

Unlike putin, people in ex yu where under danger. That is a big difference, especially as the separation was even worse than what russia is doing now.
You might want to revise that statement.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: March 07, 2014, 06:12:55 pm »

Putin is using justifications eerily similar to the ones Milosevic used.
Dude, dont talk about something about you dont know much.

Unlike putin, people in ex yu where under danger. That is a big difference, especially as the separation was even worse than what russia is doing now.
You might want to revise that statement.
Revise why, because something that had happen 50 years ago can happen again? The fact is the thing now that are happening in ukraine is nothing close to things in yugoslavia. Trust me if you think marker on doors, and possibility moving people to some other parts are bad, you dont know anything about shit that happend in ex yu. So I am not sure what you are talking about.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: March 07, 2014, 06:18:39 pm »

You shoot them, there'll be no country and a lot of body bags.
That is an old choice between war and dishonor. As it was 75 years ago choosing dishonor will guarantee that we'll get both. So no way to avoid body bags

Dude, as a person who survived this shit, you do not want this to happen. There is no honer or dishonor, that is propaganda bolshit for boosting moral and combat spirit.  There is only the lives of people and family that you care about, that is the most important thing, nothing else.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: March 07, 2014, 06:25:24 pm »

You see... That's about country prestige. We had enough time to demonstrate  our peaceful intentions and restraint to the world. Now Ukraine is a country that has thousands of armed terrorist on it's territory and does nothing. It doesn't protects basic right of it's citizens in Crimea.

Now it's time to declare state of emergence in Crimea, commandant hour and everything that comes with it - anyone coming close to a military base=Shoot  anyone armed on the streets=shoot. If this means a war, then it is war. Else... There are no country and few months later Russians will just go and take the whole country.

That's stupid, you don't play to the enemies strengths, you play to your strengths.

Russia's strength is raw military power.  They have a bigger military and everyone knows it.  Ukraine's strength is that it has western sympathy.  The west is hesitant to get militarily involved (unless Russia outright attacks western ukraine) but they are getting economically involved.  Ukraine is getting a juicy economic stabilization package.  Russia is getting sanctions.

The side that outlasts wins.  Ukraine is getting stronger, NATO membership and it's security guarantee is now a much easier proposition and the west is willing to pour a lot of money into Ukraine if that's needed.  You'd be stupid to not want this to be an economic showdown.  Russia on the other hand is dependent on those same western nations for the import revenues that make their economy run.  If western Europe decides this summer that it needs to start investing in alternative but secure natural gas sources (of which there are a lot, it's just an expensive proposition) then Russia's economy will be feeling the pain for decades.

In a war on soil close to home nationalist sentiments drive everything else aside and mothers send their sons to die while people accept economic hardship.  All the soft power that Ukraine has, and it's a lot, will not matter because in war the weapons decide everything.  But as long as the peace endures Ukraine has a very strong hand.  Russia holds the ground but Ukraine has everything else.

My bet is that Ukraine wins this and Crimea will be part of Ukraine in ten years time because I think the Ukrainian leadership has been smart so far and will keep being smart while Putin has been stupid and has put himself in an untenable position.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: March 07, 2014, 06:29:18 pm »

Trust me if you think marker on doors, and possibility moving people to some other parts are bad, you dont know anything about shit that happend in ex yu. So I am not sure what you are talking about.

Spoken like a true blind nationalist. I love the attitude shown here. Just proves Imperialism isn't dead and certain nationalists will literally look the other way in any case. Did you come to this topic to tell everyone how ignorant they are? If so, I suggest using some citations bud.

I'd help you, but you seem to ignore any and all information presented that is contrary to your view here.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 06:32:38 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: March 07, 2014, 06:33:34 pm »

Trust me if you think marker on doors, and possibility moving people to some other parts are bad, you dont know anything about shit that happend in ex yu. So I am not sure what you are talking about.

Spoken like a true blind nationalist. I love the attitude shown here. Just proves Imperialism isn't dead and certain nationalists will literally look the other way in any case. Did you come to this topic to tell everyone how ignorant they are? If so, I suggest using some citations bud.

I'd help you, but you seem to ignore any and all information presented that is contrary to your view here.

Dude, read 10 times if you need to understand what I wrote, if you cant, than dont post.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 286