Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305399 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1890 on: March 05, 2014, 02:38:50 pm »

I never understood how people could think of nations and ethnicities as monolithic entities, all thinking the same thing and having the same goals. >___>

Like, seriously. Hypothetically racist, do you as a Russian agree with everything every other Russian or white guy does? No? What about the Russian government? Then why would all the Jews or Americans agree with everything other Jews or Americans do, or their governments?

And also: Why would being Jewish bend you towards sociopathy or world-domination any more than other religions or ethnicities could or would? :I Or whatever it is they think Jews are behind. (It's everything, right?)

And even if it's only the nations leaders: Let's say that the English government really is behind a lot of stuff... So would pretty much every other nations government, if they have the capability. Yours, mine, the Israelis, India, China, Japan, etc. Tea and monarchy do not make you more inclined to subterfuge and perfidiousness than beer and republicanism. No matter what the Scottish might tell you. It's something we have to keep an eye on and advocate for transparency to combat, not just go "IT'S THE ENGLISKI FAULT."

Even ideologies are not monolithic, and THAT'S something you can choose! Just look at how splintered all the communist parties in most countries are, or the diverse base of the American political parties...

It's just insanity and dissonance!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 02:41:54 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: March 05, 2014, 02:40:18 pm »

Descan, evil people are monolithic entities.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: March 05, 2014, 02:42:38 pm »

When were they ever "out?" Russia has been the primary antagonist of the last two Battlefield games and plenty of CoD games.
Right.

I think the current conflict just shows how we never managed to get over the block thinking of the Cold War. While Europeans might have been more optimistic about that in the last decades than Americans, many Russians still seem to think along that line too.
Boy, you'd be fucking amazed how many perfectly normal and well-educated russians are still convinced that the West is out to get them. And that everything bad that happens is caused by the machinations of evil americans. Or jews. Or chinese. Or even english (my dad loves this one). The "us vs. them" mentality is alive and well, stronger even that in the USSR, mostly due to the wounded national pride after the Union fell. Of course, many other people, particularly the liberal opposition, think the opposite: all russians except us are horrible evil nazi commie faschist rapist thieving incompetent fat ugly murderous barbarians and we, the chosen ones, should all escape to the promised land of the Blessed Democracy in Europe or America. Russians, unfortunately, are ill-capable of moderation, that's our problem.

The current generation of senior government officials, including Putin, came to maturity during the height of the Cold War. The same is true in the US.  Just like the US military continued to be obsessed about the cold war event while we were engaged in Iraq and Afganistan, the Russians spent their formative years thinking about the American enemy and carried that with them throughout their careers.  In another 10 years, a new generation should start being put in senior and bring a new attitude with them in both the US and Russia.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: March 05, 2014, 02:45:31 pm »

When were they ever "out?" Russia has been the primary antagonist of the last two Battlefield games and plenty of CoD games.
Right.

I think the current conflict just shows how we never managed to get over the block thinking of the Cold War. While Europeans might have been more optimistic about that in the last decades than Americans, many Russians still seem to think along that line too.
Boy, you'd be fucking amazed how many perfectly normal and well-educated russians are still convinced that the West is out to get them. And that everything bad that happens is caused by the machinations of evil americans. Or jews. Or chinese. Or even english (my dad loves this one). The "us vs. them" mentality is alive and well, stronger even that in the USSR, mostly due to the wounded national pride after the Union fell.

There's an important question standing here - is the West genuinely hostile to Russia?
Thinking that the Western powers only want peace and that Russia is paranoid is a little bit naive.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: March 05, 2014, 02:50:29 pm »

Right now, it genuinely might be... But generally not so much.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: March 05, 2014, 02:51:15 pm »

spoiler alert
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: March 05, 2014, 02:53:11 pm »

There seems to be a sharp rise in the power of pro-russia fascist groups going on now.

Lots and lots of rhetoric coming out of the Crimean Pro-Russia groups about how they need Russia to save them from the homosexuals, the blacks, and the jews. At least a large part of the vitriol from the various protestors and response to UN envoys and reporters (at least according to the Times and Guardian) seems to be focused on the fact that the "leader of the Kieavites" is a Jew, that Obama is a "black-ass", and also that Russia will protect them from moral degeneracy.

In other news, NATO has apparently decided to suspend all cooperation with Russia and offer support to Ukraine.
http://www.tvn24.pl/szef-nato-zapowiada-pelna-rewizje-stosunkow-z-rosja-wspolna-misja-zawieszona,404827,s.html
(Polish)

Turkey has also said they plan on getting involved, unilaterally if needed and militarily if needed, if there is any threat to the safety of the Crimean Tartars.

So, uh... things heating up on all sides.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: March 05, 2014, 02:53:29 pm »

Right.

Boy, you'd be fucking amazed how many perfectly normal and well-educated russians are still convinced that the West is out to get them. And that everything bad that happens is caused by the machinations of evil americans. Or jews. Or chinese. Or even english (my dad loves this one). The "us vs. them" mentality is alive and well, stronger even that in the USSR, mostly due to the wounded national pride after the Union fell. Of course, many other people, particularly the liberal opposition, think the opposite: all russians except us are horrible evil nazi commie faschist rapist thieving incompetent fat ugly murderous barbarians and we, the chosen ones, should all escape to the promised land of the Blessed Democracy in Europe or America. Russians, unfortunately, are ill-capable of moderation, that's our problem.

The current generation of senior government officials, including Putin, came to maturity during the height of the Cold War. The same is true in the US.  Just like the US military continued to be obsessed about the cold war event while we were engaged in Iraq and Afganistan, the Russians spent their formative years thinking about the American enemy and carried that with them throughout their careers.  In another 10 years, a new generation should start being put in senior and bring a new attitude with them in both the US and Russia.

IF that generation is the one that learns history from the Call of Duty games, then I don't wanna even think about what that "new attitude" would mean.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: March 05, 2014, 02:53:40 pm »

snip
Unfortunately, "us is good, them is evilbad enemy" ideology is so ingrained in the mind of an average guy who grew up in the USSR and didn't travel a lot after it fell that I'm afraid no amount of evidence to the contrary will shake it. Hell, this entire "good and evil" worldview must be self-propagating or contagious or something, as many people I know who never encountered soviet propaganda still thing this way, with the only variation being who's good and who's bad.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: March 05, 2014, 02:54:00 pm »

I don't think the West is hostile with Russia for the sake of being hostile, but they are competitor in a series of theaters. So basically, either Russia fold down and integrate within the West, or we'll stay rivals.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: March 05, 2014, 02:56:16 pm »

I don't think the West is hostile with Russia for the sake of being hostile, but they are competitor in a series of theaters. So basically, either Russia fold down and integrate within the West, or it will be swallowed by China
Fixed
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: March 05, 2014, 02:57:03 pm »

China will collapse trying to swallow the Siberia, I bet~
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: March 05, 2014, 02:58:00 pm »

Well, yeah, that's an option, but if anything it seems even less compatible with the Russian psyche than integration within the West. Staying that small, increasingly powerless country that just annoy everyone is also an option.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: March 05, 2014, 02:58:46 pm »

Well, my position is that the governments are all bickering nest of vipers, but normal people can be and frequently are decent and virtuous regardless of their race, ethnicity, sexuality and so on. All men are brothers. And women - sisters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: March 05, 2014, 03:00:14 pm »

Check your privilege, you cis scum!

Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 286