Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305360 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1905 on: March 05, 2014, 03:01:08 pm »

small
Are we talking about Luxembourg?
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: March 05, 2014, 03:01:12 pm »

Check your privilege, you cis scum!
Sorry, did I say something?

Anyway, UR is right, all will be different once the soviet-born politicians go away.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: March 05, 2014, 03:04:38 pm »

Anyway, UR is right, all will be different once the soviet-born politicians go away.
Again, Call of Duty is made by very not-soviet-born people. Also it's oriented for young audience. You can see where this is going.
._.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: March 05, 2014, 03:05:06 pm »

small
Are we talking about Luxembourg?
Wasn't me for once.

Again, Call of Duty is made by very not-soviet-born people. Also it's oriented for young audience. You can see where this is going.
IT'S BRAINWASHING OUR KIDS!!!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: March 05, 2014, 03:05:27 pm »

'twas a joke, no worries.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: March 05, 2014, 03:07:00 pm »

Yeah, don't worry, I was trying to imitate a Social Justic Warrior for entertainment purposes.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: March 05, 2014, 03:10:35 pm »

There's an important question standing here - is the West genuinely hostile to Russia?
Thinking that the Western powers only want peace and that Russia is paranoid is a little bit naive.
That's a complex question. I don't think the West (if we keep thinking about it as a monolithic block) is genuinely hostile to Russia. It's not that difficult to conjure up Cold War memories in the West either, maybe more in the US than in Europe (we were kind of euphoric about the fall of the Iron Curtain for a while). It's that kind of mentality and lack of mutual understanding that caused this current situation.
I don't think the West realized that Russia thought it had lost the Cold War. I think ideally, the "West" would have wanted to sort of merge the blocks, with Russia adopting western-style democracy and western-style capitalism and integrating itself into the political and military structures. However the time such a transition would take and potential conflicts of interest were totally underestimated. It did work in the smaller Eastern European countries, to various degrees. It is very difficult to manage such a transition without a period of losses though, so at least in Russia, it never came to that transition really. Now Russia has a semi-authoritarian government and - in a way - a more state controlled but more unhinged capitalism than the West has. So there are a lot of conflicts of interest now, that weren't really foreseen a few decades ago. I really do think the West wants peace with Russia, but the West doesn't really understand Russia, so there is a general lack of trust.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: March 05, 2014, 03:12:17 pm »

Cis as opposed to "trans"? As in transsexual?

Anyway, you give me CoD, I give you Red Alert. That video of russian helicopters even had the opening theme from one of the games added as a soundtrack.

Although to be fair, I think that people who believe video games in the matters of history would also believe their government in the matters of propaganda, so they would be hostile towards other countries anyway.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: March 05, 2014, 03:13:30 pm »

Some people around here are from the CIS. Cease your supranational organization-shaming, Scheißekaiser!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: March 05, 2014, 03:20:42 pm »

Tumblr. Just - Tumblr.

My grandfather asked me today what I thought about the situation in Ukraine. To provide some context: He's 93, and in WWII he fought basically everywhere that isn't France, Poland, or Norway. North Africa, Italy, Russia - you name it. He was (pressured to join a) rather... nasty unit, too. False flag operations in Soviet uniforms, operations with Russian defectors, hunting for partisans in the woods, the works. He swears to this day he never shot anyone; I really don't know if that's true.

I'm 19, a student, I have thick glasses and no muscles to speak of.

Then he asked if they could - in principle - draft me.

I think he's scared.

FAKEEDIT: Scheißekaiser is hilarious.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: March 05, 2014, 03:27:48 pm »

Yeah, by talking about men and woman, you totally forgot to name all the other genderqueer identities, which mean you take for granted your cis stuff. It's a joke of tumblr, never mind. Also, Guardian, you had me laughing out loud there. Thanks god I wasn't in a library or something. :p

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: March 05, 2014, 03:29:39 pm »

My grandfather asked me today what I thought about the situation in Ukraine. To provide some context: He's 93, and in WWII he fought basically everywhere that isn't France, Poland, or Norway. North Africa, Italy, Russia - you name it. He was (pressured to join a) rather... nasty unit, too. False flag operations in Soviet uniforms, operations with Russian defectors, hunting for partisans in the woods, the works. He swears to this day he never shot anyone; I really don't know if that's true.

I'm 19, a student, I have thick glasses and no muscles to speak of.

Then he asked if they could - in principle - draft me.

I think he's scared.

Poor guy. Being a part of a punitive squad (that's what it sounds like) is bad enough, but hunting partisans was kind of like a snark hunt except the snark was an exceptionally skilled tracker and ambusher who knew the area like his five fingers and hated you with a murderous passion that would cause a Warhammer 40K space marine to remove his helmet and clap respectfully.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: March 05, 2014, 03:32:51 pm »

When were they ever "out?" Russia has been the primary antagonist of the last two Battlefield games and plenty of CoD games.
Right.

I think the current conflict just shows how we never managed to get over the block thinking of the Cold War. While Europeans might have been more optimistic about that in the last decades than Americans, many Russians still seem to think along that line too.
Boy, you'd be fucking amazed how many perfectly normal and well-educated russians are still convinced that the West is out to get them. And that everything bad that happens is caused by the machinations of evil americans. Or jews. Or chinese. Or even english (my dad loves this one). The "us vs. them" mentality is alive and well, stronger even that in the USSR, mostly due to the wounded national pride after the Union fell.

There's an important question standing here - is the West genuinely hostile to Russia?
Thinking that the Western powers only want peace and that Russia is paranoid is a little bit naive.

Well, genuinely, reading this thread alone make me think that. And actually, leaked Nulandgate scandal somehow caused huge uproar against West, atleast in my circle. And thats is funny, because my circle is generally anti-Putin. Now I am going to hold my opinions to myself, because I found many links and sayings here kinda utterly offensive, bordering insult, including everything about "war" with Georgia. Thats was incredibly one sided anti Russian propaganda full of bullshit in all it's grace so I am better not going to comment it. I call ratio of sayings/links to be utterly one sided/hostile in that thread is like 1:5 towards West. So.
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: March 05, 2014, 03:34:35 pm »

Well, genuinely, reading this thread alone make me think that. And actually, leaked Nulandgate scandal somehow caused huge uproar against West, atleast in my circle. And thats is funny, because my circle is generally anti-Putin. Now I am going to hold my opinions to myself, because I found many links and sayings here kinda utterly offensive, bordering insult, including everything about "war" with Georgia. Thats was incredibly one sided anti Russian propaganda full of bullshit in all it's grace so I am better not going to comment it. I call ratio of sayings/links to be utterly one sided/hostile in that thread is like 1:5 towards West. So.
Could you clarify, because I can't find it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: March 05, 2014, 03:35:52 pm »

Yeah, on my side my great-grandfather basically had a cushy job handling a warehouse in St-Nazaire (I still don't know how he got the Iron Cross. Masterful ordering of the shelves or something), and even then my family is full of traumatizing stories from WWII. I can't imagine what it could have been for your grandfather.

gogis: to be fair, this thread IS full of Westerners. Even if we're nice and open-minded, we still carry the general point of view. For example, the Nulandgate, well, I don't really see the problem, the video just shows that the US had meeting and that they like Klitchko. What's the issue?

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 286