Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: Civilization Simulator 2014: The big dirt nap for the big dirt map?  (Read 24931 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Simulator 2014: ONIONS FOR THE ONION GOD
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2014, 10:04:29 am »

Yes, but why build defenses at all? Especially when, as noted, they impede more than they defend?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2014, 10:26:52 am »

I say no defenses yet. Instead, make fishing boats large enough to send up and down the coast.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2014, 10:30:39 am »

I'm not liking GWG's point of view here, while IC it would be indeed pointless to build any sort of walls or defences, we are out in open plains, by a a river, near the sea. After some time we're gonna get
ridiculous warpainted men on horses, screaming spears at us
even more hilarious blonde horn helmet raiders from the sea
optionally just boring old bandits from the forest or upstream
So it would only make sense to not completely focus on defences, but start leaning towards warfare, physical training, militia etc... surely with a population of 800 there are some crimes to be taken care of and laws to be enforced.

If possible, use the forest river to explore upstream.
If not, start paving a road from the stone hill to the main village.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2014, 10:35:59 am »

I think defenses are good idea to prepare, after all we do have an almost infinite source of wood. Besides, we don't want to be caught with our pants down if we are attacked. Which leads to-

using wood and flint from the stone hill, make spears, bows, and arrows. Use hunters to search for wild game, as well as hunting the boars.

Hmm, what should we have as our gov system?
Republics and democracies usually lead to corruption and not swift enough responses
Monarchies lead to a chain of successful/terrible rulers
Dictatorships are usually terrible in general...

I'm leaning towards a Constitutional monarchy, where in peacetime, the king needs the approval of the people/senate, but during times of threat or corruption, makes the hard choices.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2014, 10:36:10 am »

I'm not liking GWG's point of view here, while IC it would be indeed pointless to build any sort of walls or defences, we are out in open plains, by a a river, near the sea. After some time we're gonna get
ridiculous warpainted men on horses, screaming spears at us
even more hilarious blonde horn helmet raiders from the sea
optionally just boring old bandits from the forest or upstream
So it would only make sense to not completely focus on defences, but start leaning towards warfare, physical training, militia etc... surely with a population of 800 there are some crimes to be taken care of and laws to be enforced.
Well, some of us don't want to metagame...
Oh, and let me rephrase the only IC argument you have:
"We have a few ruffians. Therefore, we must start leaning towards warfare, physical training, militia etc, unlike literally every society of this kind!" Hell, we don't even have a formalized government!

I say no defenses yet. Instead, make fishing boats large enough to send up and down the coast.
+1
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2014, 10:40:08 am »

Lets hold off on a government until we get over a thousand.

I support the bows for hunting.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2014, 10:44:40 am »

I'd go for an Athenian system. Besides, technologically speaking a constitutional monarchy is way to advanced, and can't be sustained by our society.

On a side note, historically, dictatorships were all but terrible. It's just that the meaning has changed over time. Technically, it means nothing more than a leader who rules through non democratic means, but nowadays the term has degenerated to petty warmongering menace to the world.

Anyway, Athenian democracy. For now, we get a simple direct democratic system were people vote on laws. We can later subdivide and specialize it.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2014, 10:48:09 am »

I did put start and leaning in one sentence, which pretty much implied that this kind of shit will take off in like 15 turns at best.
Go ahead and make your peaceful settlement of exploration and agriculture. It doesn't matter what you do right now. In the end, it all comes down to a war.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2014, 10:49:26 am »

On a side note, historically, dictatorships were all but terrible. It's just that the meaning has changed over time. Technically, it means nothing more than a leader who rules through non democratic means, but nowadays the term has degenerated to petty warmongering menace to the world.
You have to admit, most recent dictators have been jerks. Maybe because all the nice leaders try democratic methods?

Anyway, Athenian democracy. For now, we get a simple direct democratic system were people vote on laws. We can later subdivide and specialize it.
I think we can stick to what we've probably been doing* for now.
*Which is basically the same, but without formalized laws.

I did put start and leaning in one sentence, which pretty much implied that this kind of shit will take off in like 15 turns at best.
Go ahead and make your peaceful settlement of exploration and agriculture. It doesn't matter what you do right now. In the end, it all comes down to a war.
And how the hell would we realize this? And why would we start leaning towards something we have no idea will hit some several centuries off?
Sig

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 30, 2014, 10:49:47 am »

Sounds good. So, for now, I think we have:

- Athenian Democracy

- Hunting bows (spears?)

- make more advanced watercraft to explore sea/fish

I think? Anyone post if they disagree or want to add more.
I, for one, would like to make a small militia, because you never know. And those separate settlements of ours growing on their own accord seems... Sketchy... We might have splinters soon...
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 30, 2014, 10:53:26 am »

May I ask something? What are the predators like near us temperament wise at least. Do we have bears and wolves who will leave you alone if you leave them alone or are they cougars that will kill you as soon as look at you? I have no strong opinions on governments and for the record it is clear that several of you are trying to game thousands if not tens of thousands of years into the future. NO MUNCHKINING. As much as we all may all painfully die if anyone comes after us we have no reason to start a military unless you want to start conquering the animals that is. Seriously don't use real world knowledge to create this. It won't be fun because if we use whatever knowledge we have from how early civilizations worked and fell and succeeded we could very easily create a world where we steamroll everyone long before they get to do anything. So seriously act without crazy meta knowledge goddamnit. If any of this post made sense good. If not, well it wouldn't really surprise me
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 30, 2014, 10:55:02 am »

If we're going to metagame, let's not half-arse it. Anyone know how to make gunpowder?
Sig

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2014, 10:55:24 am »

I'm not quite sure on how metagamey we can be, but:

Primary focus should still be getting food, and making the tools to get more food (with less people so we can actually specialize).

About military effectiveness: we currently have at most the population size worth of capable militia, with crude, stone implements. I think we're fine.

Submitted Path of Development
1. Either continue expanding food development or start making tools to make getting food easier (with less people).
2. Start looking for strategic points to place watchtowers.
3. Look for domesticable animals.
4. Develop better farming tools.

I would imagine even with metagaming it's kind of hard to tell a group of people "Make a gun" and they go "Ok" and make it.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2014, 11:11:52 am »

Saltpeter, charcoal, and sulfur. Now all we need is some rock tubes and -

-snip-
Wat.

To answer, all jokes aside:
1. There are no predators. So far.
2. I suggest bows and spears for hunting. And a basic militia has been for well, forever. There has always been a need for force, at some point. Even the earliest found man who was discovered recently in the Alpines was killed by fellow humans, and was armed. What does that tell you?
3. Most of it's not meta gaming. I mean, maybe a small part, but we honestly don't know exactly how these people thought. We don't even know of their cultural problems yet. Honestly? we would need to go away more in depth to create an actual civilization, but this seems keyed down a little, as in, we don't know what's going on in the villages exactly. Anyways, I still vote for my previous suggestions, since they seem to be the most agreed on.

Edit: @ashsaber, we already have domesticated animals, and basically you stated "research into advanced agriculture twice". Besides, why would we need watchtowers? We don't know of any EXTERNAL threat. Just problems within our own society.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 11:14:08 am by WhitiusOpus »

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2014, 11:16:54 am »

Okay, let's be realistic.

Discover planks
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16