Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241340 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #2190 on: March 22, 2023, 01:40:33 pm »

Huh, I could myself finding a necromunda campaign much less frustrating than rosigma's 'welcome to planet underequipped new regiment, you've got 2 weeks before a massive chaos invasion obsoletes most of your potential options and everything else immediately explodes'. I get that it's a niche group of modders developing something for experienced fans of the engine, but oof that difficulty.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: March 22, 2023, 02:39:45 pm »

Huh, I could myself finding a necromunda campaign much less frustrating than rosigma's 'welcome to planet underequipped new regiment, you've got 2 weeks before a massive chaos invasion obsoletes most of your potential options and everything else immediately explodes'. I get that it's a niche group of modders developing something for experienced fans of the engine, but oof that difficulty.
The game is actually a lot easier if you don't play Space Marines.
Opposing forces and timing is tied into Faction Selection.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: March 22, 2023, 02:46:17 pm »

I've only ever played abhuman guard, myself.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: March 22, 2023, 05:11:56 pm »

There are mods for Rosigma to tone down some feature difficulty.

Additionally, same as 40K , Rosigma is locked to difficulty 2 ( called  Veteran in vanilla xcom ) and as difficulty selection is replaced by Faction selection it's not possible to lower it in the game options if you find it too hard or not possible to increase it in case you may find it too easy .
Fortunately there's a mod "DifficultySettings40K" that allow you to force a different difficulty level to the game than the Veteran setting it's locked to by default.

Those mods can be found in this pack of minimods for 40K/Rosigma
https://openxcom.old.mod.io/minimods-collection-for-40k-and-rosigma

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: April 30, 2023, 04:20:29 am »

Well, this was weird.

Playing 40k+Rosigma
I went to a traitor outpost. It consisted of two buildings, with 3 Traitor guardsmen outside.

I killed one, started surrounding the buildings. End turn 2.
During enemy phase, I hear gunfire, then one of the buildings explodes. This is a massive chain reaction, reducing both buildings to smoking dirt.
Start turn 3
2 of my guys are wounded, I heal them, then finish off the remaining 2 traitors.

When mission ends, I recover 8 corpses (so the Traitor Guardsmen were better at killing themselves than I was at killing them), and lose 100 points for "Allies/Equipment of man lost...1"

Apparently, they were keeping a prisoner, and decided to execute them rather than allow them to be rescued. And they managed to blow themselves up doing so.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: April 30, 2023, 06:33:08 am »

Ah yes, that mission :D

Always be very cautious around a traitor /deserter guardsman outpost mission, one of the building is an ammo storage that will blow up if anything shoot at it.
And man that massive explosion.

Somehow reminds me of the good old (and awesome) Blaster Launcher in the original UFO game.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: April 30, 2023, 09:01:47 am »

There's a mission like that in X-Piratez too.  A warehouse that's *full* of missiles and trigger-happy humanist scum.  It's a bit of a shitty trap.  I've tried carefully surrounding the building while clearing the many enemies outside, but there's a soft time limit in the form of humanist-sympathetic govt police arriving in a few turns.  Killing them is expensive in score.  So I think I need some swiftsuits to rapidly clear the interior, or I just go in sufficient force to make some bacon.  It's a pretty early mission.

(The chained explosions are sufficient to kill normal gals standing close to the warehouse)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: April 30, 2023, 09:51:58 am »

Looking for recommendations. X-Piratez is just a bit too skeevy for my taste, though it does have a lot of varied content. Are any of the other total conversion mods anywhere close to as varied?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: April 30, 2023, 10:00:42 am »

xcom files is probably the way to go there. As far as I know it has a lot of content.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: April 30, 2023, 10:56:16 am »

I agree with Egan.

XCF has plenty of content, while not being needlessly convoluted.
XPZ is fine.
40k is just too much for me. I am dropping it for now, returning to my ongoing XPZ campaign.

Yeah, Rolan, Guns of the Patriots.
I did challenge myself to capture that one intact. Single gal in Harbringer could do it, though it took ~50 turns, with all the reinforcements.
It wasn't even worth it.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #2200 on: May 01, 2023, 02:21:15 am »

Looking for recommendations. X-Piratez is just a bit too skeevy for my taste, though it does have a lot of varied content. Are any of the other total conversion mods anywhere close to as varied?

The X-Files mod is probably the best experience i’ve had on this kind of games, with i think Xenonauts X-Division in second position.

Never managed to get into PirateZ, and 40K is too heavy, and also i hate the geoscape.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: May 01, 2023, 02:37:31 am »

I've made a start with X-Com Files, about four or five missions deep now.

So far so thematic: the first mission, one of my rookies was eaten by a chupacabra which the other rookie managed to shoot dead. A good origin story for my main agent.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: May 02, 2023, 03:36:59 pm »

I could never get too into XCF-- it felt like it had a weird difficulty jump between your factioned T1 and T2 missions, I had trouble keeping up with costs, and I can't get a good read on how the tech tree is supposed to work. (And this is coming from somebody that actually finished a game of XPZ...)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: May 03, 2023, 12:56:04 pm »

I've put a few hours into XCF now. I'm liking it so far, though there's probably a bit too many subdue-these-cultists missions. The cryptid missions are absolutely brutal. Almost every creature is going to cut your agents into ribbons if you let them get close, and some of them (like the Reapers) can tank several rounds of gunfire as well.

(With X-Piratez I got pretty far but then hit the aquatic missions which just killed all the gals every time. I was getting tired of its unique brand of anime girl nonsense anyway, so it wasn't something I was that invested in pushing through.)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: May 04, 2023, 09:12:51 am »

I don't think any aquatic mission is neccessary to finish the game though.
I always wait until I have the suits for them and then delegate them to a secondary base so I can just leave the armor on.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 153