Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241320 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #2205 on: May 04, 2023, 09:49:47 am »

Weird, I rarely have much trouble with the aquatic missions.  The basic ones where you usually just fight mutant fish are a good source of aqua-plastics, though I often take a casualty or two when it rolls sharkmen instead.  Or the jellyfish with mind powers.

Later the Underwater Assets from Goblin Zaxx are a bit trickier because of the number of Deep One nomads with actual weapons, and submerged buildings they sometimes hide in.  But the drowning is rarely the problem except if I bring peasants along.

A few advanced medkits from gambling, or some oxygen tanks, should clear the drowning damage up if necessary.  I think the Brainer outfit's little snorkel is as good as a space suit too, in a pinch!

My main difficulty with underwater missions is the Sea Oddities where the second half has you fight flying enemies (on land) who resist most types of damage, and you can only bring underwater equipment like dart guns and javelins.  They only use charm damage themselves though so it's more annoying than actually dangerous.  Go at night because they glow.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: May 04, 2023, 10:39:30 am »

My general rules for underwater missions:

a) if in doubt, wait until you have diving gear (i.e. something that supplies air) before doing them

b) bring plenty of harpoon guns, with some pikes as backup

c) Just skip the two-parter missions (namely the mission where you start defending on the shore then go down into the water, and the mission where the first part is getting ready to go through an underwater passage)

And yeah, per Rince Wind's suggestion I usually split up mission venue by base. So in addition to regular bases I have a base dedicated to underwater, one for space, one for caves, one for undercover (though that usually overlaps with the cave base), etc. Much less re-equipping and logistics pain that way.

I've put a few hours into XCF now. I'm liking it so far, though there's probably a bit too many subdue-these-cultists missions.

I'm afraid I have some bad news for you then, hah. Although I guess I heard some of the more common cultist missions were toned down a tad in recent patches.

As for cryptids, sometimes it's a matter of bringing the right types of weapons. There are a few early-ish choices that are really good for handling the things that go bump in the night.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: May 04, 2023, 12:17:44 pm »

Remember that pikes, and other ranged melee weapons, are fantastic for aquatic missions as long as you watch your TU. Just remember to bring oxygen tanks and if you don't have an outfit that lets you store them than dedicate someone(s) to hauling oxygen for everyone else. With pikes, early aquatic weapons (harpoons/xbows), you should be able to handle the more common underwater foes, except Jellyfish, without much trouble.

It's been awhile since I played but I also remember training throwing on new recruits with ninja stars/sunblades in underwater missions as well.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: May 04, 2023, 02:30:20 pm »

It may be worth noting that Looter armor is a full diving suit as well, albeit a walking suit with limited field of vision. It's honestly the most versatile armor you've got for a lot of the game and lets you sneak ubers with a pile of gear slots into some missions that otherwise only allow humans or very limited armor types.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: May 04, 2023, 03:37:49 pm »

I'm pretty sure there was some endgame tech gated behind the aquatic missions, or at least a lot easier to get from them than relying on randomized research hell. I remember sitting there for around a year and a half of gametime farming underwater missions and MARSEC trying to build the Conqueror, XEC units, and progress along the Shadowrealm stuff (never got the tower...).

Not sure what I was actually missing anymore though.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: May 04, 2023, 03:43:36 pm »

Not sure about a research gate, but they're a good easy source of aqua plastics for making tactical armor.  Plus the Underwater Assets missions give Zaxx tokens of course, though they're longer and trickier.

I don't remember what the Sea Oddity 2-parters give... Damsels IIRC, maybe some gems?  And research on the g-g-g-gals which might lead to stuff.

Pikes are indeed useful!  Maybe spears too, and some hammer-like melee with 2-tile range I forget exactly.  But mostly I use javelins - about 3 hits takes down even the jellyfish, and they're big targets.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: May 04, 2023, 03:53:21 pm »

Hmm, not a good sign...

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: May 05, 2023, 02:15:10 am »

I'm pretty sure there was some endgame tech gated behind the aquatic missions, or at least a lot easier to get from them than relying on randomized research hell. I remember sitting there for around a year and a half of gametime farming underwater missions and MARSEC trying to build the Conqueror, XEC units, and progress along the Shadowrealm stuff (never got the tower...).

You need Aqua Trident to unlock Aqua Javelins, to unlock Aqua Bullets, to unlock Extra Cannon Munitions, to unlock X-Gauss Construction.
To be fair, Aqua Tridents can be gained from any mission with Deep Ones. But don't be like me and forget to research it.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: May 05, 2023, 06:06:43 am »

You need Aqua Trident to unlock Aqua Javelins, to unlock Aqua Bullets, to unlock Extra Cannon Munitions, to unlock X-Gauss Construction.
To be fair, Aqua Tridents can be gained from any mission with Deep Ones. But don't be like me and forget to research it.

Nah, nothing so simple. I want to say it was some kind of rare lore item, or maybe a gemstone or trinket of some kind-- I remember one of the last aquatic-based missions was going to some kind of haunted island or something, where I practically lost, because I wasn't ready to fight these... mostly intangible kind of ghostly things that did charm damage or something?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: May 05, 2023, 07:53:31 am »

After doing that mission a few times (I think back when you didn't have to fight underwater first) I decided that it wasn't worth the effort and ignored it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: May 05, 2023, 08:15:34 am »

It's not so bad now that there are many more 2-range melee options to reach the enemies, and they aren't usually dangerous.  I think doing it once might be useful for research, and it seems to always have a damsel.

The main thing is that it takes a lot of freshness, and probably drains a lot of freshness (by length if nothing else).  I used to clear it with javelins but I think slashing damage is better (ninja stars and cutlasses?), or daze/concussion in melee.
She/they

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: May 05, 2023, 08:19:42 am »

Huh, i always waited until i had electric musket balls to go with air muskets. In last playthrough it was so late, i already didn't need anything from that mission.  :P
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: May 13, 2023, 08:07:08 am »

Noticed the mod 40K got updated to version 0.35 with a whole new playable faction
Spoiler: changelog (click to show/hide)

Rosigma is not yet updated for this version, it's still requiring 0.34
But you can get the rolling development release ( https://github.com/BeatAroundTheBuscher/ROSIGMA/archive/refs/heads/main.zip )  while waiting for the stable release, this one requires the new 0.35 version of the 40k mod
And additionally requires the new OXCE 7.9 too
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5258.0.html

« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 09:33:49 am by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: May 16, 2023, 02:13:22 pm »

Rosigma 2.2 is now available for OXCE 7.9 + 40k 035
Spoiler: changelog (click to show/hide)

edit 40K mod updated to 0.35.1 to fix a few bugs
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 08:35:26 am by Robsoie »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: June 07, 2023, 02:30:58 pm »

Another new XPZ version, this one pretty hefty.

It's almost too big of a pile for immediate impressions, but worth noting a) peasants look to have a new low/mid-tier armor option, which has always been a bit missing, and b) all dogs are now named (and they're filled out more as a soldier species).
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 153