Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 242149 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1395 on: April 13, 2020, 07:46:33 pm »

Yeah, I am playing on the second difficulty which I think is the default.  What missions can you skip without any penalties?  Is x-grog just for selling? 
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: April 13, 2020, 07:48:39 pm »

What missions can you skip without any penalties?

I'm trying to think of ones that penalize you for not showing up. I know there are several, but they usually tell you in the description. Even fewer if you show up, then leave right away.

X-grog is also a 2x2 healing item, but it's too big to really be good.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: April 13, 2020, 08:26:37 pm »

Yeah, I am playing on the second difficulty which I think is the default.  What missions can you skip without any penalties?  Is x-grog just for selling?

There's basically only two types of missions that are 'mandatory' (as of the previous major version), and they both have prerequisites:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: April 14, 2020, 02:35:47 am »

I'm trying to think of ones that penalize you for not showing up. I know there are several, but they usually tell you in the description. Even fewer if you show up, then leave right away.

X-grog is also a 2x2 healing item, but it's too big to really be good.

Now that it also incurs a freshness hit it got worse, but if possible I used grog to heal my gals at the beginning because it is better than bandages. (heals more HP)
Works better once you have a bigger ship so bringing a dedicated nurse or a strong gal with it in the backback is easier.
I also enjoyed bringing the boozeosaur while I used the Thunderhorse, though more for stun removal duty in certain missions/environments. :D
Speaking of certain missions:

There is a third mission that incurs penalties for not showing up, but it is basically a variant of the pogrom: Mutant Suppression. It is a late game pogrom by eridians (Snakemen).

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: April 14, 2020, 02:59:43 am »

Speaking of certain missions:

There is a third mission that incurs penalties for not showing up, but it is basically a variant of the pogrom: Mutant Suppression. It is a late game pogrom by eridians (Snakemen).

...That... might be why I had problems keeping my infamy up last time I actually reached late game.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: April 14, 2020, 05:53:56 am »

It is a massive -2000.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: April 14, 2020, 12:06:14 pm »

It's also a really tough mission if you're lacking certain tech. Harsh environment and enemies that are hard to keep down (and can be fairly well armed).

First few times I had to do it I just popped in, killed a few / took some loot, bugged out. Usually lose less infamy that way and possibly get some loot.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: April 14, 2020, 12:29:22 pm »

I wonder if unfun missions like the eurosyndicate one (in which you had to kill all the well equiped enemies in a convulated town layout before a certain amount of turn without the possibility to even extract if things go badly) are more fun now that all those convulated maps have been removed and new maps have been created to replace them.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: April 14, 2020, 12:35:32 pm »

Eurosyndikate are also entirely optional. I never saw the point.

But I havent done a mansion in my game because I don't like those. :D

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: April 14, 2020, 02:53:41 pm »

What cave missions are required to progress the Magic/Astral/Religious stuff, in that case?

That's my biggest pet peeve against X-Piratez and X-Com Files; the extremely specific requirements to get essential things and/or to get to entire chunks of content. I remember when playing X-Com Files a while ago, I didn't happen to capture any of a specific enemy that seemed to have only appeared when you did the mission to completely eliminate one of the factions. X-Com Files has an underwater arc, and you only access this entire arc if you captured the enemy that appears in only this one-time mission. Of course, there's a good chance it's changed since then. And I may have missed other opportunities, but all signs point to that being the case at the time.
X-Piratez is less of an offender, and the dependency viewing is helpful, but god it's annoying to have to actively worry about this kind of stuff.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: April 14, 2020, 03:17:56 pm »

I wonder if unfun missions like the eurosyndicate one (in which you had to kill all the well equiped enemies in a convulated town layout before a certain amount of turn without the possibility to even extract if things go badly) are more fun now that all those convulated maps have been removed and new maps have been created to replace them.

Didn't Dioxine create the mansion map? I doubt the newer maps are any less annoying than the old ones, at least not intentionally.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: April 14, 2020, 03:25:39 pm »

What cave missions are required to progress the Magic/Astral/Religious stuff, in that case?

Off-hand, there's a specific map that takes place in a twisty cave that branches (that's mostly one floor, thankfully) where you have to deal with The Technomancer. Who is a bastard to keep unconscious without killing her. (I ended up surrounding her with ~6 gals and repeatedly punched her in the face for 20 turns as the rest of my group finished the place.) Pretty sure it shows up as a Red Mage mission.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: April 14, 2020, 03:46:01 pm »

Off-hand, there's a specific map that takes place in a twisty cave that branches (that's mostly one floor, thankfully) where you have to deal with The Technomancer. Who is a bastard to keep unconscious without killing her. (I ended up surrounding her with ~6 gals and repeatedly punched her in the face for 20 turns as the rest of my group finished the place.) Pretty sure it shows up as a Red Mage mission.

I thought you weren't supposed to capture the technomancer and/or don't get anything special for a capture v. a kill? That is a mission you need to do for that chain, but capture is optional.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyways, I'd argue X-Piratez is so chock full of content it's okay for certain arcs to be less common / challenging.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: April 14, 2020, 04:27:22 pm »

I thought you weren't supposed to capture the technomancer and/or don't get anything special for a capture v. a kill? That is a mission you need to do for that chain, but capture is optional.

You don't. I just didn't check the the Technomancer page. -_-

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: April 14, 2020, 07:18:32 pm »

Thanks for all the advice everyone.  I was doing better, but my infamy somehow ended up at -1000?  I may have made a few mistakes.  I also learned that taking out civilian shipping will reduce your infamy as well... I just followed a ship, I didn't recognize what it was, and I landed in this weird place that had a shirtless guy that looked like a hippie.  I stopped playing, so we will see how that goes.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 153