Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34

Author Topic: [3.5e D&D] A Game of Death and Destruction  (Read 47759 times)

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5e D&D] A Game of Death and Destruction
« Reply #150 on: January 01, 2014, 02:27:52 pm »

If you want to be a tank(which would be nice to have a non-magic tank), consider a Crusader build. I have some guides/handbooks that I'm familiar with thanks to how often I used them. If you want to deal damage, consider Swordsage and/or Warblade base(more classes can and usually will always be added). From what I hear, unarmed Swordsage makes a better Monk than Monk does. Tome of Battle in general really helps fighter-styled classes.

No, I'm not planning on being a tank, I'll be a nonmagical ranged damage dealer (With quite capable melee damage)... That 3d6+2d6 damage, 1000 max range, 300ft first increment/100ft each after.

On another note, DM- What is your opinion on ballista ammo? Can I put a rock in a ballista, and can I fire a javelin? These are things that are reasonable (I have a ballista myself) but there are no official rules on it (Or can we fudge a rule for having a returning adamantine Ballista bolt +2- I haven't found any rules for enchanting ballista ammunition)
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 01, 2014, 02:53:49 pm »

Ballistae aren't designed to fire rocks. You can load ammo not specifically designed for the weapon at an improvised weapon penalty providing it resembles a bolt and can be fired without either disintegrating or breaking the artillery piece.

Thus, you should be able to fire a wooden javelin, but not a rock, and not a fragile crystal javelin. You could also fire a table leg if needed.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 01, 2014, 03:01:33 pm »

Could you fire a Halfling if you mounted a chair to the ballista string?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 01, 2014, 03:07:13 pm »

No, you'd need to mount the halfling to a stake of some sort.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 01, 2014, 04:32:32 pm »

As a note, historical Ballistae, particularly the original Roman ones, fired rocks, not darts/bolts/spears. Those were called Scorpions, I believe, and came later. I think it was just Tolkien who put the 'Ballista's are oversized crossbows' into everyone's heads.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 01, 2014, 04:38:14 pm »

Luckily D&D is based on Tolkien mostly. So that works out fine.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 02, 2014, 01:12:52 am »

So... I have a half-dragon minotaur rogue.... 7'6", 921 lbs, and can sneak attack with a ballista? I think Yes. Also, my power will spike at either level 12 or level 15, I'm not sure which yet (Deadeye shot or Crossbow sniper- DM, are you going to allow things to apply to ballistae just as they do to crossbows, because that's how it would work for someone that big?).

On a related note, unless you have a problem with it, Remuthra, I'll be inventing a fair bit of lore for my backstory and such. It'll be on my character sheet tomorrow sometime, I have a couple little bits on there now. Anything you find unreasonable can be changed as needed.

Also- So much description... I should write books...

EDIT: Here are my rolls for HP (I included the Con bonus and the Frail flaw)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 01:14:33 am by Delioth »
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 02, 2014, 01:16:05 am »

Yay, roleplaying!

For the most part, ballista will be counted as a crossbow, providing you can make things work. If things get silly, I'll make exclusion clauses.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 02, 2014, 01:19:27 am »

Yay, roleplaying!

For the most part, ballista will be counted as a crossbow, providing you can make things work. If things get silly, I'll make exclusion clauses.

Yeah, I just needed that statement so I could make sure a few feats work (Rapid reload, crossbow sniper, possibly instant reload at epic level [that might need an exclusion- 4 ballista shots a round?])
Help us write a story!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 02, 2014, 02:15:50 am »

Currently working on my character. This is getting REALLY confusing. I still have no idea on how to work out my HP and all that. In more interesting news, I added 8 to all my stats since I originally tried to point buy from 0 >_> and now I have 30 Char. Heh heh heh. Since I'm a ghost, can I sacrifice my 8 points of Con into Char or something? Is that allowed? It's just that more power is ALWAYS awesome.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 02, 2014, 02:31:48 am »

The max score you can have in a attribute before racial adjustments is 18. You can't sack your con in exchange for more stats.

Since you are going to be undead all your HD are all going to be D12s. Since mindflayers have 8HD and you get another one from your sorcerer level that means your hit points are going to be 12 (because your first HD is always maxed) +8d12

Edit: Also I mentioned this before but I'm not sure if I was clear. You don't buy attributes on a one point for one attribute exchange.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 02, 2014, 02:33:18 am »

Right. Now if I remember correctly my racial bonus to Char was 2, ghost adds 4, so the max I can be is 24. Rats. Okay, I can work with this.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 02, 2014, 02:35:49 am »

Right. The costs for stats using point buy is as follows:

8 Costs 0 points
9 Costs 1 Point
10 Costs 2 Points
11 Costs 3 Points
12 Costs 4
13 Costs 5
14 Costs 6
15 Costs 8
16 Costs 10
17 Costs 13
18 Costs 16

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 02, 2014, 02:40:18 am »

Fuck me this is annoying. We also get 3 stat increases if I recall what Remuthra said correctly... Okay. My spell list is finished, working on the hit dice. The main thing I need to know now is how much gold we get and the limits on what I can buy.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 02, 2014, 02:42:24 am »

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4350512/

Hit dice are done. 64 doesn't sound too bad.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34