Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331941 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2385 on: September 10, 2021, 08:17:21 pm »

Any really tough puzzle games out there? Or games that have content hidden behind being extra-creative with your puzzle?

For example, I found that The Talos Principle was awesome.

I missed this question first time around, but Baba is You has a lot of tough puzzles, and also some meta-puzzles.

Bloodwarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • im themysteriousgamer on youtube
    • View Profile
    • themysteriousgamer
« Reply #2386 on: September 10, 2021, 09:53:15 pm »

shadows behind the throne 2 (or 3, but the dev has essentially made the same game again and will hopefully flesh it out further). you can play as the deep ones, or a necromancer, and infiltrate and destroy empires.

that bobby two hands do you know any other games that have a simulier concept

Bloodwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • themysteriousgamer
« Reply #2387 on: September 10, 2021, 09:54:36 pm »

since that which sleeps never came out ive been looking for very simulier games Bobbytwohands is the closest ive gotten

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: September 11, 2021, 10:21:39 am »

shadows behind the throne 2 (or 3, but the dev has essentially made the same game again and will hopefully flesh it out further). you can play as the deep ones, or a necromancer, and infiltrate and destroy empires.

that bobby two hands do you know any other games that have a simulier concept

Hm, maybe Unferat?

Self-professed warlock simulator in which you go from a village boy to a warlock, killing all the important people, then killing the new important people sent to hunt you down.

Bloodwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • themysteriousgamer
« Reply #2389 on: September 11, 2021, 12:11:57 pm »

Mabe

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: October 07, 2021, 09:53:16 pm »

Anyone know of any games out there were you have to build around the environment? Like if prisoner architect required you to build off the ruins of an old prison, or if Oxygen Not Included wasn't balanced around the ability to make a big square filled with square rooms. I want functional art.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: October 08, 2021, 01:52:14 pm »

Anyone know of any games out there were you have to build around the environment? Like if prisoner architect required you to build off the ruins of an old prison, or if Oxygen Not Included wasn't balanced around the ability to make a big square filled with square rooms. I want functional art.

Most of the games that have the POTENTIAL for that kind of thing usually dont capitalize on it sadly.

The following may satisfy your itch though:

Minecraft - no requirements or incentive to build off of old things or around the environment, but maybe with mods?
Factorio - some incentives to build strategically, depending on gamemode.
Satisfactory - 3D factorio kinda, but less in the way of context or incentives to get creative with your building--still you can build an interesting factory by making rules about how you approach the environment.
Surviving Mars - limited space? city builder.
Cities: Skylines - same as Survivng Mars, but more nuanced and plenty of incentives to be strategic in your thinking--still, it's mostly aesthetic as long as you manage growth.
Mini Motorways - a lot of strategic thinking required, but not necessarily the most detailed or satisfying game.
Mini Metro - same as above... but different.
Castle Story - This one is cool, but is one of those so close to great its frustrating kinda games. Basically you have to build a castle, brick by brick, to stave off hordes of attackers. It encourages both strategic thinking and is very detailed (relatively).
From The Depths - environmental challenges. Vehicle builder.
Kerbal Space Program - environmental challenges. Realistic spaceship sim.
Songs of Syx - limited space. 2D city builder--not well versed enough to give a more specific description.
Stronghold 1/Crusaders/2 - castle man good!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: October 08, 2021, 01:54:27 pm »

A lot of city-builders recently do that.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: October 08, 2021, 05:43:22 pm »

Yeah I've played pretty much all the games on that list ScoopBeard's and I agree, they don't capitalize on it.

As for city builders, I find them too bland.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: October 08, 2021, 11:37:09 pm »

Yeah I've played pretty much all the games on that list ScoopBeard's and I agree, they don't capitalize on it.

As for city builders, I find them too bland.

From Dust? Except, you're building with the environment. Not exactly what you are looking for, but an interesting game!

Besiege? Except, you are tearing things down.

A bridge builder?

Conan Exiles has great building... but no real incentive to do things one way over the other.

Dont know if Lego Worlds is any good or has that reason to address terrain difficulties, but yea... its there!

Thats it for me I think... idk what else! Let me know ifyou find one though, I've been searching for a game like that forever!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: October 09, 2021, 03:26:32 am »

Rimworld has rivers and mountains. Mountains can eventually be mined out, but the devs have done everything they can to make that take forever. In practice, this means that layout of your base is very strongly influenced by the layout of the mountains around it.

I assume you’ve already played that one though.

Honestly though, dwarf fortress does it well. Especially if you play with aquifers. The game encourages tunnelling over structure building so the shape of your base often conforms to the shape of the mountain it’s built in.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: October 09, 2021, 09:41:24 am »

Not really a city-builder but it's themed like such - but Islanders is fairly cheap and it's a game about placing buildings in such a way as to earn you as much score as possible. This means having to take into account the environment and other buildings.

Guess that's not really "functional art", either...

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: October 09, 2021, 02:27:07 pm »

This might be moving a bit off-track, but wasn't there some ecological puzzle "city" builder where you're reforming a wasteland that came out a year back or so?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: October 09, 2021, 02:53:43 pm »

Terra Nil, probably? Nookrium did a vid on it about three months back.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: October 10, 2021, 12:12:00 am »

Hey y'all this got me thinking. I love Minecraft, but hate how there's no context to the building. Are there any building/structure-level building games (i.e. where you are designing one building, not a city) that have a bit more... purpose to them? I'd love to design warehouses and forts and homes, but Minecraft or even something like Conan: Exiles gets incredibly lonely... you're just one person alone in a massive base, if you can even keep the motivation to get that far.

The focus here is really on getting nitty-gritty with design and structural elements.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 179