Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331947 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2370 on: August 08, 2021, 02:41:35 pm »

Thanks for the recommendations peeps, tbh I'm just not sure exactly what I'm looking for I guess.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: August 08, 2021, 05:00:59 pm »

I have a few ideas.

The first one that I recommend is Bad North. It's a real-time tactics game where you command squads of vikings in order to defend various islands from invaders. As you complete islands, you get money which can be used to upgrade your units and specialize them into one of 3 classes, as well as purchase more general stat upgrades as well as items and abilities. You also gain more units as you play increasing the complexity of the battles you participate in. When you say you want a game with "narrative", I assume you don't mean it in a literal storytelling sense and really just want a game with "progression". Where the battles you engage in late-game are meaningfully different from the stuff you do early-game. I think this game does a good job of fulfilling that goal as your units gain more abilities and as the enemy types become more challenging and interesting.

If you aren't sold on this yet, I would recommend looking up some gameplay. In my opinion, its a simple and satisfying core loop is one that anybody can enjoy even if it isn't exactly what you're looking for.

I'd also like to recommend XCOM, FTL, and Battletech. I don't have the time to write paragraphs for these games like I did for Bad North, but I'll try to give very short summaries. The XCOM franchise is one of the best turn-based tactics games ever made. In each mission, you command a squad of 4-6 soldiers and accomplish objectives (usually some form of killing aliens). As soldiers complete missions, they will level up and acquire new skills and each new skill adds a powerful new option for how to use that soldier. It's hard to understate how amazing the skill system is in this game! It's a classic for a reason. I recommend starting right from the sequel assuming your computer can run it.

FTL is a game about piloting a spaceship through a hostile solar system in order to face off a big and dangerous final boss, acquiring upgrades along the way. This includes things like obtaining new weapons, new crew (though they aren't as interesting as XCOM's), as well as special augments that help tweak your ship in a certain way. There are also numerical stat increases, but what prevents them from being boring is that the choosing which stat to upgrade is a very tricky and meaningful choice that demands a lot of thought. Sure you could upgrade your ship's shields, but then you might not have enough currency by the fancy new weapon or hacking system you might encounter in the next shop. But you'll have to upgrade those shields eventually though.

Battletech is not as big as those two games I mentioned above, but it's probably the closest to what you want even though I don't think it is as good (still a fun time though, just not a masterpiece like those other two). You start with a squad of 4 mechs, and you will pilot a squad of 4 mechs for the entire rest of the game. Progression comes in the form of leveling up your crew (whose abilities aren't that interesting), but more importantly acquiring new mechs and the weapons to arm them. Now mech progression goes a long way. You start off with 25 tonne "light" mechs and you will eventually be able to work yourself up to 150 tonne "Assault mechs". There are almost a hundred different mech chassis and each one is highly customizable. The core gameplay isn't as refined as XCOM's, but I get the feeling that you've already played XCOM.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: August 08, 2021, 07:06:15 pm »

Thanks for the big post!

It's actually the other way lol, I've played FTL (a good amount) and I have Battletech, but I've never touched XCOM (came out in a time when I was really sick of turn-based strategy) lol

I think I may give Battletech a second chance (I stopped playing really early), mech games always leave me in a weird spot, but if its got good customization I might be able to stick with it.

and yea Bad North is great.

I suppose in recent years I felt like I have lacked a game with a good balance between customization/building and gameplay. I mentioned a squad-based war game because I like that kind of thing, but every genre is not nailing this dichotomy very well. I certainly enjoy games that are good lol, but sometimes my favorites feel a little lifeless or without context despite the excellent gamplay. On the other hand, while builders have been exploding (Starbase, Starship EVO, Minecraft, etc. etc. etc.) there's just no game there to back up the amazing personalization.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: August 09, 2021, 02:37:47 am »

Any really tough puzzle games out there? Or games that have content hidden behind being extra-creative with your puzzle?

For example, I found that The Talos Principle was awesome.

Reyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: August 09, 2021, 02:52:45 am »

Any really tough puzzle games out there? Or games that have content hidden behind being extra-creative with your puzzle?

The Myst series should easily fit the bill of tough puzzles.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: August 09, 2021, 03:09:31 am »

The Myst series should easily fit the bill of tough puzzles.

Lol I loved playing the Myst games. I'd like to avoid playing any more point-and clicks though. They have too much potential to devolve into spam-clicking and weird logic.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: August 09, 2021, 03:31:14 am »

It's kind of old and to taste, but ever try The Fool's Errand and A Fool and His Money?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Gerratt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: August 09, 2021, 08:57:42 am »

There are bunch of great indie puzzle games.
Stephen's Sausage Roll is a cult classic which is extremely hard and rewarding.
Baba is You is one of the most innovative sokoban variant.
The Witness has a lot of interesting environmental puzzles.
All of the Zachtronics programming games are also worth trying.
As for recent games, I found Solas 128 and Understand are pretty good.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: August 09, 2021, 11:02:48 am »

There are bunch of great indie puzzle games.
Stephen's Sausage Roll is a cult classic which is extremely hard and rewarding.
Baba is You is one of the most innovative sokoban variant.
The Witness has a lot of interesting environmental puzzles.
All of the Zachtronics programming games are also worth trying.
As for recent games, I found Solas 128 and Understand are pretty good.
I don't have any additional games to add, but will second the recommendation for anything by Zachtronics - special shout outs to Infinifactory and SpaceChem as being exceptional.
Agreed with Baba is You and The Witness recommendations.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: August 09, 2021, 12:32:04 pm »

Opus Magnum is their magnum opus.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: August 09, 2021, 01:17:03 pm »

Sweet. I'll look these up.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: August 15, 2021, 05:22:36 pm »

Treasure Quest is one really, really, really tough puzzle.

Bloodwarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • im themysteriousgamer on youtube
    • View Profile
    • themysteriousgamer
« Reply #2382 on: September 10, 2021, 07:17:33 pm »

anyone have a recconmdation of a game where you are a ancient evil/lovecraftian god I already know about ruinarch and bobbytwohands games

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: September 10, 2021, 07:27:31 pm »

shadows behind the throne 2 (or 3, but the dev has essentially made the same game again and will hopefully flesh it out further). you can play as the deep ones, or a necromancer, and infiltrate and destroy empires.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: September 10, 2021, 08:14:49 pm »

I think technically like illwinter's (dominions, conquest of elysium) entire lineup has that. Dominions just straight up lets you play as R'lyeh. Both series has several different varieties of ancient evil to play as.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 179