Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331948 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2400 on: October 10, 2021, 12:25:48 am »

The dragon quest builders line probably counts? It's much like minecraft, except there's missions and fairly plentiful townsfolk npcs and buildings actually do stuff of import and whatnot. Wouldn't particularly call it nitty or gritty, though... it's not much more fiddly than unmodded minecraft, I think. Still, I've watched some LPs of 'em and streamer babble pretty much exactly commented on them being basically minecraft, but your buildings actually matter and stuff like that.

Though, uh, with minecraft you might consider looking into mods? They do a lot nowadays, and lots of them have quest type structure to 'em or require more purposeful construction to do stuff.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 12:27:41 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: October 10, 2021, 12:32:47 am »

Dragon Quest Builders looks like my next research target.

Minecraft mods just aren't there. There's something like Mine Colonies which gives you that framework, but looks horrible and is kind of a pain to mesh with other things. Or something like Custom NPCs, but then you need to make every NPC and you still don't really have any active purpose.

Honestly, what MC needs is a mod that generates a bunch of NPCs which do a bunch of simple tasks regardless of the player. Traveller NPCs travel between villages and points you set in your bae, researchers study animals, etc. etc. etc. and they all need shelter (which you can provide). It could scale in complexity from there--as it is, as far as I can so there's no mod that really tries to bring a semblance LIFE to NPCs. Im not sure if that is because it is difficult to do, or its just not in the consciousness of the MC modding community.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: October 10, 2021, 04:24:21 pm »

Anyone know of any games out there were you have to build around the environment? Like if prisoner architect required you to build off the ruins of an old prison, or if Oxygen Not Included wasn't balanced around the ability to make a big square filled with square rooms. I want functional art.

Some scenarios in the Roller Coaster Tycoon games don't let you edit the terrain.  It's probably not what you meant though.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: October 10, 2021, 07:38:42 pm »

Anyone know of any games out there were you have to build around the environment? Like if prisoner architect required you to build off the ruins of an old prison, or if Oxygen Not Included wasn't balanced around the ability to make a big square filled with square rooms. I want functional art.

Anno series.

Surprised no one else has mentioned it yet.

Maybe it's not what you mean, though. Maps/regions (depending on what era you're playing) sometimes have unique structures as major projects, like a hydro dam, and many resources extractors can only be placed on specific nodes, but more generic builds like population or farms have freeform placement within the space allotted by the "living" island designs. And the grid nature of placement, building zones of influence, and limited available space lends itself to working with efficient layouts.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 07:42:53 pm by Niveras »

tnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: October 13, 2021, 01:42:08 pm »

Guys would you recommend Wasteland 3 or Baldur's Gate 3 or Pillars of Eternity 2?
...or Disco Elysium?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 01:45:04 pm by tnc »

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: October 13, 2021, 02:10:08 pm »

Guys would you recommend Wasteland 3 or Baldur's Gate 3 or Pillars of Eternity 2?
...or Disco Elysium?

those are all worth a purchase on sale but if you had to absolutely choose just one keep these in mind:

Wasteland 3 is a squad based fallout like rpg. each member of your squad can have a little personality and it's pretty fun. the story is... good but what's the word?... strict. you actually need to think a bit about the consequences of your actions to get better endings. i won't spoil it, its a complete game with dlc.

Baldur's Gate 3 has b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l graphics but is still in early access with classes missing and such. the combat is fun and dynamic and the party members you can pick up are fun and interesting. the fact that it actually shows dice rolls for your skill checks is pretty fun.

Pillars of Eternity 2 kind of requires you to play PoE 1 to get some plot references but is it's own story for the most part. i don't know how much you know about these obsidian crpgs but they're fun but mainly roleplay focused.

Disco Elysium is... well, it's an experience. it's very easy to play "wrong". what i mean is you can literally die in the first room of the game. i really don't want to spoil but its a solely story experience with no combat (unless you count a few roll checks as combat). the story is fantastic and does require thinking as you play a detective. its also a complete game.

as i don't know your preferences between story/combat, all i can say is the most "bang" for your dollar has to be Disco Elysium in my opinion: it doesn't have dlc to consider and it's ment for many repeat playthroughs (play it even a little differently than last time and you'll generally get a different story, as even failed rolls contribute to your unique narrative for that playthrough). in fact the game deals pretty well with meta-knowledge as you try, try again
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

tnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: October 13, 2021, 02:24:43 pm »

...or Disco Elysium?

those are all worth a purchase on sale but if you had to absolutely choose just one keep these in mind:

Wasteland 3 is a squad based fallout like rpg. each member of your squad can have a little personality and it's pretty fun. the story is... good but what's the word?... strict. you actually need to think a bit about the consequences of your actions to get better endings. i won't spoil it, its a complete game with dlc.

Baldur's Gate 3 has b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l graphics but is still in early access with classes missing and such. the combat is fun and dynamic and the party members you can pick up are fun and interesting. the fact that it actually shows dice rolls for your skill checks is pretty fun.

Pillars of Eternity 2 kind of requires you to play PoE 1 to get some plot references but is it's own story for the most part. i don't know how much you know about these obsidian crpgs but they're fun but mainly roleplay focused.

Disco Elysium is... well, it's an experience. it's very easy to play "wrong". what i mean is you can literally die in the first room of the game. i really don't want to spoil but its a solely story experience with no combat (unless you count a few roll checks as combat). the story is fantastic and does require thinking as you play a detective. its also a complete game.

as i don't know your preferences between story/combat, all i can say is the most "bang" for your dollar has to be Disco Elysium in my opinion: it doesn't have dlc to consider and it's ment for many repeat playthroughs (play it even a little differently than last time and you'll generally get a different story, as even failed rolls contribute to your unique narrative for that playthrough). in fact the game deals pretty well with meta-knowledge as you try, try again

Disco Elysium is on sale so I should start with that then Wasteland 3 probably. Thank you!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: October 13, 2021, 03:13:28 pm »

Just don't accidentally teleport in Disco Elysium or you can permanently sequence break yourself out of major plot events... like the entire 2/3rds of the game. >:(
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: October 15, 2021, 10:51:48 am »

I'm loading up a USB with as many small (primarily ascii) games as I can get my hands on. What should go on it?

Forget about space restraints, I'll get a bigger USB or something if I have to.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: October 15, 2021, 12:22:16 pm »

ZZT, DC:SS, Nethack, (classic) ADoM, Gearhead, DoomRL, Project CHR$(143)... what are we calling 'small' anyways?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: October 15, 2021, 01:34:19 pm »

Pretty much anything in the < 1 GB range. Some exceptions are possible, but that's the vague range I'm trying to keep things under, though smaller is better because I can pack more time wasting games in.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: October 15, 2021, 01:46:32 pm »

You can fit the entire NES library in under a gig, if you're so inclined and capable. Good chunk of the SNES/Genesis era ones, too. If you were limiting it to just stuff you're interested in instead of ~literally all of it~, fitting a few hundred onto a gig flash drive would be trivial. Can jam a huge amount of old DOS era games into that sort of space, too, for that matter, and you might already have an applicable GOG library or whatever...

e: though, uh, definitely consider just getting a bigger flash drive? You can get like 64 gigs worth for less than ten bucks these days, heh.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 01:48:53 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: October 15, 2021, 01:50:50 pm »

im assuming dwarf fort gets an automatic load, so...

there's also warsim and caves of qud, not to mention unreal world
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: October 15, 2021, 04:19:47 pm »

I'm loading up a USB with as many small (primarily ascii) games as I can get my hands on. What should go on it?

Forget about space restraints, I'll get a bigger USB or something if I have to.

I have a flash drive with ROMs of the entire NES, SNES, Master System, Genesis, 32x and Jaguar libraries and that's about 1.5 gig, compressed.  Add in the emulators and a Game Boy collection and you're probably around 2GB.  Unless you are using a flash drive from 20 years ago you should be able to handle that.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: October 16, 2021, 02:48:21 am »

e: though, uh, definitely consider just getting a bigger flash drive? You can get like 64 gigs worth for less than ten bucks these days, heh.
I assume he's saying that individual things should be smaller than 1 gig, not that he only has 1 gig total to fit stuff in.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 179