Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331910 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2355 on: May 14, 2021, 11:01:10 pm »

Got recommendations for good singleplayer survival games? Extra points if its got base building and NPCs that join your lil settlement

Ever try Unreal World? I believe it operates on a last-major-version-is-free system now.

Yuh I gots it, great game bh
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: May 15, 2021, 12:44:15 am »

Got recommendations for good singleplayer survival games? Extra points if its got base building and NPCs that join your lil settlement
Cataclysm: DDA has all of that, but with a post-Apocalypse setting, but with mods you could get rid of the monsters and just live in the woods.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: May 15, 2021, 09:52:13 am »

Survivalist

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: May 15, 2021, 01:54:11 pm »

This might scratch your itch. It's a favorite of mine.

https://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: May 15, 2021, 02:30:32 pm »

Thanks peeps, I will check those both out! Honestly though I've been really looking for something along the lines of Conan Exiles but like... with a more finished/populated singleplayer experience? I think its the most satisfying survival game I've played that allows you to build a kick ass settlement. There's just... no life outside of other players though (a few notable exceptions aside).

Honestly... I think I'm just gonna boot up DF lol, it's got most of that--just in layered ascii form.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: May 15, 2021, 02:51:04 pm »

O wait. I just remembered Kenshi. It's like an RTS survival base building game, but that hasn't stopped me from RPing as my first character. And that's from someone who doesn't really RP.

Also, if you don't care that none of the NPCs have personality, Colony Survival comes to mind.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: July 14, 2021, 12:49:48 am »

Anyone know of any recent free games that have unique game mechanics? I just want to mess around with something new.

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: July 14, 2021, 06:47:47 am »

Dont know if any of these would meet your criteria, but these come to mind when you say free games (not all new): Zorbus, Wesnoth, Second Earth, Circadian Dice, UFO: alien invasion, OpenTTD.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 10:58:39 am by Mkok »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: July 27, 2021, 08:08:14 pm »

I'm itching for a game that kinda itches that Capitalist Dystopia hankering I'm getting. Something like Recettear or The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, where you have a debt to pay back and you gotta hustle up some cash to pay it back on time. There's games like Paper's Please, or Booth, which fit that criteria in having to keep up with your job in order to avoid death-by-poorness, but I'd like something that isn't really depressing.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 08:10:20 pm by JoshuaFH »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: July 27, 2021, 08:48:28 pm »

Shipbreaker seems pretty capitalist dystopian to me. I haven't played it and it's in early access, but it seems like you get saddled with a billion dollar debt for the "privilege" of using their tools and space station to make them money. I don't think there is a clock ticking down, but it feels like they should eventually add one.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: August 07, 2021, 02:33:13 am »

I'm looking for a squad or small unit, tank, etc. shooter that has a sense of... idk, development? narrative?

I am not going to articulate this well, but a game that lets you take your squad, tank, whatever through endless missions and make them feel like your own. I'd say something like War Thunder or one of the many tank arena games fits the bill, but there's such a lack of permanence to your vehicles it becomes just about the match.

I can't think of a good squad-based game that fits the bill... but idk some kind of real time valkyria thing maybe. Both multiplayer and singleplayer are fine here.

I'd say foxhole, but again... such massive impermanence. 

EDIT: or games where you can be a low level officer taking objectives? an LT? Captain? IDK.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 02:39:32 am by Urist McScoopbeard »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: August 07, 2021, 02:48:14 am »

I've seen some very interesting things done with ARMA mods. I've only seen them though so maybe find an arma mod discord and ask there or something.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: August 07, 2021, 03:15:59 am »

There's Armoured Commander it's a tank crew game, but I'm not sure it's what your looking for as it's a Roguelike with ASCII graphics.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: August 07, 2021, 09:20:52 am »

I also just remembered another game. Silent Hunter 3 (the entire series I guess). Much like the ARMA stuff, I saw SovietWomble play it. From what I've seen you play as a submarine commander during WW2, communicating and giving orders to your crew. It seemed like a campaign lasts a long time, so maybe it will meet your qualification of permanence.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: August 08, 2021, 03:17:37 am »

I'm looking for a squad or small unit, tank, etc. shooter that has a sense of... idk, development? narrative?

I am not going to articulate this well, but a game that lets you take your squad, tank, whatever through endless missions and make them feel like your own. I'd say something like War Thunder or one of the many tank arena games fits the bill, but there's such a lack of permanence to your vehicles it becomes just about the match.

I can't think of a good squad-based game that fits the bill... but idk some kind of real time valkyria thing maybe. Both multiplayer and singleplayer are fine here.

I'd say foxhole, but again... such massive impermanence. 

EDIT: or games where you can be a low level officer taking objectives? an LT? Captain? IDK.

Kinda depends on what specifics you're looking for; development and narrative can mean things like Spec Ops: The Line where there's definitely narrative and development with the small squad you're leading, but it's because that's how the story's written. It's not procedurally generated.

Bomber Crew has you working with a small team that'll advance and improve in their abilities, which tends to help with forming attachments just because of their usefulness and specialty, but all the mooks are by and large just bags of stats and items. The narrative you kinda have to come up with yourself.

I suppose the same kinda goes for Battle Brothers, but there they at least have a couple events that can fire off to make it look like your soldiers are interacting with each other.

Then there's Pulsar: Lost Colony... But that kinda needs to be multiplayer for it to work properly, the AI bot crew is neither particularly effective nor very personable. But the game's effectively Star Trek with more corporate overtones.

I also just remembered another game. Silent Hunter 3 (the entire series I guess). Much like the ARMA stuff, I saw SovietWomble play it. From what I've seen you play as a submarine commander during WW2, communicating and giving orders to your crew. It seemed like a campaign lasts a long time, so maybe it will meet your qualification of permanence.

Other sub games include UBOAT and Wolfpack, where UBOAT is more focused on solo play and Wolfpack is a crew sim that's best played with friends/idiots.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 179