Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331914 times)

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2325 on: April 24, 2021, 07:29:49 am »

King of the Dragon Pass. Pretty cool and unique!

Can Confirm. Great game.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: April 24, 2021, 11:39:42 am »

Hollow Knight is mine. The beginning is kind of slow (it only picks up after the City of Tears), but I've never played any other game with exploration like it. Breath of the Wild might be able to compare, but I've never played it and even then, I know for a fact that HK has better combat and level design.

Dark Souls and God of War 4 are also games I would like to experience for the first time again, but those have pretty good replay value.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: April 24, 2021, 12:05:52 pm »

Let's try something a little more abstract for a recommendation. Tells me some games you guys wish you could play again for the first time. Something that made you go "man, I wish I could wipe my memory of this game because it's so damn unique and awesome to experience".

For me, one such game was cultist simulator. It was just constant "there are lots of special rules here and you have to figure them out".

In no particular order:

NEO Scavenger
Halo (One through Reach)
TES (Morrowind, Oblivion)
Fallout 3
Deadbolt
A Legionary's Life
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (not an amazing game, but like... just the art direction and music and stuff... going in fairly blind was awesome)
Batman: Arkham Asylum
MGS V
40k: Space Marine (you know it to be true, Brothers. For the Emperor!)
The Wolf Among Us (which got me interested in Fables, which I then binge-read in like a month)
HL2
Lost Planet
Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
SWTOR (the Agent class story... damn that shit was actually fantastic)
God of War 4 (I actually played it twice in rapid succession because it was so good)

There are probably a lot more that I am forgetting!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: April 24, 2021, 01:24:06 pm »

I’d like to add:
Disco Elysium
Griftlands
Deus Ex
Prey
Dishonored
Streets of Rogue

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: April 24, 2021, 02:39:51 pm »

Maybe ... Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2. Crypt of the Necrodancer. Binding of Isaac. and ... Mass Effect Trilogy.

I'll definitely never replay the last one on this list and it's not even a style of game I usually like, but I kinda wish I could replay it. I really dug the party members. They were fun.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: April 24, 2021, 03:48:38 pm »

Streets of Rogue

+1 to that.  It was so awesome when it first came out, but once you get the hang of it, it's so bleh.

Adding to that:
Heat Signature

Also, can anyone recommend a game to play today, that I might already own?
Partial List:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Noticing the Play With Your Buddies section is pretty sparse these days, so while I'm prone to abandon them, I'll offer at least the beginnings of a screenshot LP.
Now, I think I'll go play some Way of the Samurai and slice people up to make my swords better while I wait...

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: April 24, 2021, 04:10:17 pm »

Castle of the Winds (First Windows roguelike, and possibly the first one that was actually graphical?)
Shadow of the Colossus
Planescape: Torment (Just doesn't have the same punch when you have almost every major dialogue memorized...)
Monster Hunter 3 (My first; world of a difference in gameplay experience from getting shredded by raptors on your first encounter to lazily clearing everything no-hit with a slow hammer.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: April 24, 2021, 04:17:07 pm »

games you guys wish you could play again for the first time
There's a couple of games that comes to my mind. Not in the sense "i know the game, played to death so it's now empty to me and will never replay" (because i occasionally replay them),  but in the sense on what they provided the first time i played.

- Operation Flashpoint, i still remember that demo i got from a magazine cover CD , it was so unlike everything else i ever played, the feeling was something new in gaming. Can't believe it was 20 years ago already.
- Daggerfall, it was the first game i purchased when i finally was able to purchase my first PC, i always remember those reviews on how amazing it was , they were exaggerating unfortunately, but still the game delivered something i had never experienced in a game before.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: April 24, 2021, 04:39:11 pm »

Out of everything in the list that I am familiar with, the game I recommend the most is Crusader Kings II. There’s a certain kind of horror you feel when realize that you managed to wipe out your entire family in your attempts to keep your throne. It’s an experience that really sticks with you. At least the first time.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: April 24, 2021, 04:57:09 pm »

Out of everything in the list that I am familiar with, the game I recommend the most is Crusader Kings II. There’s a certain kind of horror you feel when realize that you managed to wipe out your entire family in your attempts to keep your throne. It’s an experience that really sticks with you. At least the first time.

Hm, I actually enjoyed CK2 more as I got to understand its systems.  I actually hated the first game when I had no idea what I was doing.  Until you understand the game, it seems like you're sitting around while nothing happens. I think I enjoyed it most at that time period when I had figured out most of its systems, but not yet played it excessively.

At this point, its hard to imagine playing CK2 without some idea of what sort of game to play.  Should I try the Nomad that eats everything? Woman Muslim ruler trying to keep my family on the throne? Merchant prince? Pagan visionary? Unknown rural count who rises to greatness? HRE vassal?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: April 24, 2021, 06:24:21 pm »

Amazing Cultivation Simulator
Darkest Dungeon
Terraforming Mars (if this means the board game)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: April 24, 2021, 09:31:12 pm »

Amazing Cultivation Simulator
Darkest Dungeon
Terraforming Mars (if this means the board game)

Terraforming Mars: They took the board game and made a computer game adaption, which as far as I can tell is authentic.  It's a lot of fun, but I played it yesterday...
I'll take the encouragement, and reinstall Darkest Dungeon (its the only one not installed currently).

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: April 24, 2021, 10:15:25 pm »

I sure wish I could play STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl sight-unseen again. You'd probably want one of the bugfix/content fan-patches that exist for it, but your first time going into any of its notable locations is just ~magical.~

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: April 25, 2021, 07:05:51 am »

Playing CKx (or a lot of Paradox titles, for that matter) from scratch feels like a tortuous experience to me... having to remember everything about the UI is what keeps me from going back to it after stopping for a bit.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: April 25, 2021, 12:25:34 pm »

wish i could replay all the classic crpgs: baldurs gate, planescape torment, etc. without knowledge. i first played planescape torment by borrowing it from a friend who only gave me the advice: put into wisdom. dang it made the game almost mystical with all the meta commentary on death, spirits, the planes, etc.

baldurs gate was much more of a classic dnd campaign but it was also fantastic. it was a more serious, darker in tone campaign then anything i had played before then, tabletop or video. Viconia's backstory, in fact, let me know this wasn't a normal tale: in what campaign would such blatant racism and rape be touched upon? none in any dnd thing ive played tbh. (i know she doesn't outright say it but its heavily hinted at)
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 179