Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331881 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2295 on: March 08, 2021, 11:48:19 pm »

I love CDDA, but yeah it's not going to scratch the itch I have.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: March 09, 2021, 01:52:37 am »

Given the rate at which they're removing the Sci-fi stuff from CDDA it'll all be gone in a few years.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: March 09, 2021, 03:15:20 pm »

I hate how the devs want to slow down the rate of experience gain to make the pace of level ups more “realistic”. Cataclysm is a game with permadeath. It’s a challenge to get your character so survive one week, let alone one year. If cataclysm had the pace of dwarf fortress, where seasons pass at the rate of a few hours, then realistic level ups would make sense, but as they’re currently planning, you might as well remove levelling entirely.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: April 08, 2021, 07:34:24 pm »

Any games where you can be an OP and morally ambiguous (but probably mostly kind of bad) secret police person? Think 'Inquisitor' from 40k?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: April 08, 2021, 07:43:39 pm »

Anyone with a Nintendo Switch can recommend me any games cheaper than 30 bucks? Any genre would be appreciated, though I would prefer something that isn't a port of a preexisting PC game.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: April 09, 2021, 11:29:56 am »

Any games where you can be an OP and morally ambiguous (but probably mostly kind of bad) secret police person? Think 'Inquisitor' from 40k?

I'm not sure how close it would be to what you are looking for, but your main character in Tyranny has a role similar to that.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: April 09, 2021, 11:48:48 am »

Probably not exactly what you’re looking for but Forgotton Anne has you play as a secret police kind of person. It’s probably too cute for your tastes, but you genuinely have the choice to kill some disobedient  citizens and there are some nice asshole dialogue options as well.

Tyranny is probably closer to what you’re looking for, though. I can second the recommendation.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: April 10, 2021, 09:50:52 am »

Not sure if it counts, but Cultist Simulator has a starting scenario where you're an Inspector for the Suppression Bureau, giving you a huge income stream and an ability to instantly eliminate your rivals racing against you for ascension.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: April 11, 2021, 11:39:50 am »

Danke for the suggestions, already played Tyranny (which DOES have that vibe)--haven't played cultist simulator, but I'll look into in the future!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: April 13, 2021, 11:25:40 pm »

Probably not what you're looking for, but MiniLAW is a beat-em up (literally) action game where you are a cheap robocop knockoff.  Not so much secret police as much as working for secret police.  You can take quite a few bullets, but not really OP.  Still great fun.

"I AM THE LAW!"

In Shadow Behind The Throne 2, you are the bad corrupting the morally ambiguous secret police to being true evil.  Fairly OP, since you only can die from becoming so obvious that the forces of light unite and cast a spell to banish you.  And you get like 40 turns to knock off enough beacons to make the casting fizzle.  Think playing as Chaos United from 40k, but mostly Tzeentch, with a splash of Nurgle.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: April 21, 2021, 03:45:54 am »

I specifically like when you have each unit tracked through a lenghty periode of time - like in dwarf fortress, dominions 5 and Close Combat. Any recommendations in that area?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: April 21, 2021, 01:06:57 pm »

I specifically like when you have each unit tracked through a lenghty periode of time - like in dwarf fortress, dominions 5 and Close Combat. Any recommendations in that area?

Kenshi might have what you're looking for. Large fights can drag on and different parts of the body have healthbars.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: April 21, 2021, 04:17:11 pm »

Rimworld is greatly inspired by Dwarf Fortress, and may be worth looking at if you want carefully-tracked units. Each character has individually-tracked body parts and organs, which can all accumulate damage over time that lowers each part's effectiveness. There are also prosthetic body parts and organ transplants that can be performed; it's not uncommon for raiders to attack your settlement already bearing scars from old wounds or organ damage from long-term drug use, and possibly things like hook hands or bionic eyes.

Battles in Rimworld are usually won or lost based not on depleting HP bars but on pain levels and blood loss. A character can get an arm chopped off and still, sometimes, stay up fighting until they drop (at which point they usually need urgent medical care). Instant deaths can happen if a vital organ (brain, heart, etc) is completely destroyed but those cases are relatively rare.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: April 21, 2021, 06:42:02 pm »

For single units? The comedy (?) roguelike IVAN is pretty in-depth, even if it's not quite a good game. You start off as a plantation worker, and are chosen to walk the Violent Road of Death (Iter Vehemens ad Necem) to deliver a message. You can destroy body parts, have them replaced, explode wands, find an incredible magic sword that turns out to be an illusion (enemy difficulty is based on your equipment, including valuable replacement limbs), and gorge yourself on bananas until you can fight a sumo wrestler.

ivanovic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: April 21, 2021, 09:31:34 pm »

I don't know if something like this exist: An RPG similar to Mount & Blade, where you can hire soldiers, build your settlements and create your own kingdom, but with a grid-like map like Civilization, where you need to explore and discover tiles... There are many 4X strategy games with tiled maps centered around managing kingdoms, but not centered around managing a single hero who can found a kingdom.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 179