Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331919 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2310 on: April 21, 2021, 11:01:13 pm »

The heroes of might and magic or age of wonders lines sorta' have that? Or at least can do the single hero founding stuff leading to more stuff thing.

If you want to go way old school you might consider Sword of Aragon, which holds up remarkably well for having released in 1989. Pretty certain there's a few more similar to what you're talking about that I'm forgetting, too, they're just definitely quite rare.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gerratt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: April 23, 2021, 01:04:39 am »

Are there any good pvp deck builders on PC like War of Omens? I like WoO but it's too grindy for my taste and it's seldom updated now.

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #2312 on: April 23, 2021, 02:47:56 am »

Hi,

I don't know if something like this exist: An RPG similar to Mount & Blade, where you can hire soldiers, build your settlements and create your own kingdom, but with a grid-like map like Civilization, where you need to explore and discover tiles... There are many 4X strategy games with tiled maps centered around managing kingdoms, but not centered around managing a single hero who can found a kingdom.

Maybe Sands of Salzaar, or Raiders Forsaken Earth ?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: April 23, 2021, 06:33:07 am »

Big rub with salazar is it's very not grid based, heh. Haven't played any of raiders to comment.

That did actually remind me of Airship Asunder which, while not having standard RPG progression mechanics (being equipment based in terms of progression instead, basically), fits pretty much everything else requested. So that's a possibility, if probably not exactly what was being looked for!
Ask not!
Ask!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: April 23, 2021, 11:03:32 am »

Are there any good pvp deck builders on PC like War of Omens? I like WoO but it's too grindy for my taste and it's seldom updated now.

If you haven't played Dominion on PC yet, you really should. One Step from Eden is getting a PvP mode (I think you can already get there with mods).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: April 23, 2021, 01:49:54 pm »

Does MTG:Arena count?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: April 23, 2021, 02:06:05 pm »

OK, I also have a very specific request: I want to know what people think about the Atelier series of video games, and if they like them, which they think I should try first.

I love games like: Persona 4 Golden, Final Fantasy VIII and IX, Tales of Symphonia (just talking about the Japanese RPGs that are my favorites).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: April 23, 2021, 02:25:10 pm »

OK, I also have a very specific request: I want to know what people think about the Atelier series of video games, and if they like them, which they think I should try first.

I love games like: Persona 4 Golden, Final Fantasy VIII and IX, Tales of Symphonia (just talking about the Japanese RPGs that are my favorites).

They have good stories, and good enough combat. The crafting is interesting, but the ingredient quality matters quite a bit and availability is very much locked by the plot to keep you from trying anything too clever. Overall a pretty good experience, though.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: April 23, 2021, 03:13:35 pm »

As for which to try, apparently Ryza is pretty good (and it's among the newest games in the series). I enjoyed Sophie quite a bit; it's a pretty chill game but apparently the crafting minigame it uses is different from other Atelier titles.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Gerratt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: April 23, 2021, 07:22:49 pm »

Does MTG:Arena count?
I'm playing MTG:Arena and I think it's more of a CCG rather than a deck builder. I want something like Dominion on PC. Maybe I'll give One Step from Eden a shot some time.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: April 23, 2021, 07:44:11 pm »

One step from eden is, uh. Very different from most card based games. Be aware of that?
Ask not!
Ask!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: April 23, 2021, 08:10:10 pm »

One step from eden is, uh. Very different from most card based games. Be aware of that?

Oh yeah, it's basically Megaman Battle Network ._______<

Thanks for the Atelier advice. I feel like I've heard good things about Ryza, too ... might try it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: April 23, 2021, 10:39:26 pm »

Let's try something a little more abstract for a recommendation. Tells me some games you guys wish you could play again for the first time. Something that made you go "man, I wish I could wipe my memory of this game because it's so damn unique and awesome to experience".

For me, one such game was cultist simulator. It was just constant "there are lots of special rules here and you have to figure them out".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: April 24, 2021, 06:57:23 am »

Ogre Battle, probably. Still love it to bits regardless but the first encounter was pretty magical in a way that hasn't been replicated since because bloody no one has goddamn made more of them since 64 >:(

Maybe Chaos Seed, too -- I think if I had found out about it after rather than before a translation existed, I would have went harder at it when I first encountered it. Pretty sure no one's really replicated that design, either, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: April 24, 2021, 07:15:03 am »

King of the Dragon Pass. Pretty cool and unique!
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 179