Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Craftrazors: Another 4e Merchant Fortress  (Read 17074 times)

ThaMuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Craftrazors: Another 4e Merchant Fortress
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, 01:29:41 pm »

I dont think the thoughts are necessary for every month. Most of the text will be the same anyway. I'd say only post newly dorfed dwarves.

A Chandler would come in handy... if you play with Rendermax, we need more torchbearers and candelabras.

Nice writing and good on you for starting a new fort, after the bubonic end to the last one. :)

You'll probably want more than one.  And an oil/tallow industry.  Also, textile industry.
Braziers and fireplaces might be the way to go.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, 03:05:13 pm »

Sheesh, hold yer horses, folks! I haven't even gotten the dining room done yet!

I've been trawling Legends, and some of the xXstoriesXx I write at the beginning of each post will be little backstories of our dwarves that happen to be historical figures. I'll start with myself, and intend to do everyone (though not in a row). I hope you guys enjoy it, and thank you for the continued interest!
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2013, 06:46:38 pm »

CRACK!
CRUNCH!
Mosey wiped his brow with his sleeve, and took a moment to rest, leaning on his pickaxe.
It's been a long time since I've put pick to stone he thought.Seventy years, at least. Mosey was an old dwarf, and at one hundred and twenty years, he was the oldest dwarf in the hamlet. In his youth, he had been a competent miner and engraver, enough to be invited into the mason's guild. But that had been a long time ago, before he saw battle.

The Seducers of Loot were powerful and aggressive, but not terribly effective at war. They had fought no less than 7 major wars against their orcish neighbors, and only had a handful of victories to show for it. Mosey had taken part in three of the bloodiest battles in history. He had fought twice at Vicekindled, where small forces of orcs and drow nearly annihilated massive dwarven armies, and once at the Spiderwasted, a rare dwarven victory. In his long life, he had seen more than eight thousand dead upon the field of battle...and had put many of them there himself. In between the battles, Mosey found work where he could, operating a furnace here, working at a tannery there.

But the war was now far behind him. When Mosey heard of the outpost being built far across the sea, he left without a second thought. With no family left at the mountainhomes, he had nothing holding him back.

And now, here he was, mining out the first new fortress in decades. His skills with hammer and chisel were faded, but he would learn. Supplies might be scarce, but he would make do.
All in all,he thought, it could be worse.

---

Winter falls over Craftrazors, and no one notices. Warm embarks are the best!

We still have a lot of work to do if we are to be prepared for First Ambush, so let's get down to business.

I designate out the apartments.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

HaemaraHaemish (oops) still needs a job while waiting for his equipment to be forged, so I make him the local chandler.

We finish the guildhall.

The first inductee is Freezair, who requested to be the fortresses animal trainer.

But while she was at the guildhall...

Huzzah!
Whatwegonnagetwhatwegonnaget!

A perfect rock crystal called Ruinhushes! As someone who made an artifact, Vabalokis will get her own room in the noble's district adorned with finest...stuff.

Meanwhile, Meph finishes some more research, and we add alchemy and blast furnaces to our technology.

I induct Oldark into the Smith's guild.

The dining hall is dug up. It's big, colonnaded on one side, and with a shaft up above that leads to daylight to prevent cave adaptation. It's still a little ugly, and we're short on tables, but I have people working on it.

It's a pretty quiet month. We sold a bunch of gems to the traders in exchange for booze, so we're not in any imminent threat, and the various projects are ticking away gently.

Whatdya say we open up The Wilted Deep?

Now that my squad (of two) is armed and armored, I set Spascala and Haemish to explore the cave.

Fortunately, the cave seems to be empty.

The pair find galena, emeralds,

gold,

chromite, anthracite...

I swear, I had no idea this place was this ore-rich. Wow. There's iron, aquamarine, wolframite, cassiterite, platinum...We're pretty much set on metals, jeeze.

I set the miners to extracting some iron, gold, and anthracite while the going is still good. I want some steel bars for research purposes by summer.

And finally...

Beautiful.

If we can survive, we may have had all of our wealth problems solved.

And, with the fortress gearing up for a prosperous future, the season comes to its end.

I had no idea I was on top of such a metaphorical and literal gold mine. With our current resources...there's pretty much nothing we can't do. Next time, we'll set up and trap a back door to the to the caverns, place traps in the cave itself, place hatches and traps in the caves, expand our mining efforts, put in place a blast furnace, work on purchasing a Blood of Armok and another chunk of warpstone, research coin-minting, get a glassworks in place, furnish the dining hall, dig out more rooms...we'll need to expand the military and start digging magma chambers...so much to do!

My goodness. What a season.

If any of y'all want to be in certain guilds, you should throw requests my way. I have a feeling money will be no object. And I need more forumdwarves, folks, so if you're reading and haven't been dwarfed, pleased do so, it's a big help.

When we amass enough cash, Haemish and Spascala will become legionaires, Safarian a sniper.

Current wealth is 11500 copper, 1000 silver, 1000 gold.

Thoughts:

I decided to abridge the thoughts a bit. I'll show the rest of each dwarf's description once a year.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 06:54:22 pm »

If there is any dwarf used as cannonfoodermilitia soon, i would take it. I don't need militaryskills, just wanna fight whatever shows up. Except warlocks :( i hate em! Being hacked to pieces is fun, but warlocks don't do that, damn meanies

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 09:38:52 pm »

I'd like to be dwarfed too, as a engineer/mechanic if possible.

Vabalokis

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McKneeGrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 11:22:04 pm »

He is romantically involved with `Vabalokis' Ringstopped.

Quackhead trying to get into noble quarters thru a bed. That sly bastard...

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 11:43:32 pm »

Am I legendary in masonry too yet?

ThaMuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2013, 12:14:23 am »

Sheesh, hold yer horses, folks! I haven't even gotten the dining room done yet!

I've been trawling Legends, and some of the xXstoriesXx I write at the beginning of each post will be little backstories of our dwarves that happen to be historical figures. I'll start with myself, and intend to do everyone (though not in a row). I hope you guys enjoy it, and thank you for the continued interest!

Heh, fair enough.
I'd like to request a Dwarf involved in the light source industry, please!

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2013, 03:28:57 am »

would request a dwarf on the medical team. preferably one that sets bones... to be called Crazybones

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2013, 04:29:47 am »

I'd like a dwarf. Either military or something in the metal trades. Loving reading so far.

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2013, 05:20:51 am »

i have never been dwarfed bevore - but why not ;)

so if its not too extravagant i would like to be a military dwarf - maybe with a two-handed hammer or axe  8)

call me Lenz

Edit: if there is a need for my civilian skills - how about a bookkeeper/scribe?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 06:25:37 am by razorback »

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2013, 12:21:02 pm »

My goodness! So many dwarfing requests! Thanks a bunch, and keep 'em coming. The more named dwarves, the easier time I have of things, and the better the stories you'll see in return.

But, confession time, folks. I wasn't expecting such a turnout, so I did the next season last night after Mahrgell and before the rest of you, so most of your names won't show up in the next post (or if they do, they'll only show up in passing). But rest assured, you're all dwarfed.

Mahrgell: You're in the army now, son! Now take your morningstar and learn to which end is spiky!
Kaos: Excellent, I've been needing an engineer to maintain our traps. I'll get you in the engineer's guild as soon as I can.
ThaMuzz: I've got an alchemist's guild dwarf with your name on it. Consider yourself Chandler-in-Chief.
Sharpkris: As it happens, I've been grooming a dwarf for the job of chief medical. Welcome back to the crew.
Kamikaze: I've got an adept armorer wandering around. I'll get you guilded and on the job.
Razorback: It may be a while before you can get a 2-handed axe, but you'll be a welcome member of the military. For now, you'll have to steal Safarian's mithril axe that he uses for chopping down particularly troublesome trees.

Next post is coming in a few minutes.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2013, 01:15:36 pm »

The newly constructed dining hall was crowded with dwarves, thier faces illuminated by the light streaming in through tiny cracks in the ceiling far above. The room was buzzing with conversation.
"They found gold in the cave?""Platinum too, I heard.""It's the richest mine I've ever heard of.""We'll be rich!""Why aren't we mining it out right now?"

Several loud clangs rang through the room.
"Quiet down, now, quiet down."
Twenty faces turned towards the speaker, who was knocking his axe against the wall. After a few more knocks, the crowd quieted down. Oldark, her new Smith's Guild badge pinned to her robe, was the first to speak.
"Quakhead, is it true? Did we strike gold?"
"And more, but quiet down QUIET DOWN!" He banged his axe against the walls until the explosion of voices came to a halt again."
"It's true. Haemish and Spascala discovered that the caverns beneath us are rich. Very rich, in fact. Far more than can be managed with our current resources. We have an army of two, and our walls are still incomplete. Before we can exploit the mine, we have to be certain we can defend it."
A aging, heavily tattood and tanned dwarf spoke up.
"He's right, ya know. Ah seen it happen before. Some fortress strikes it big, and before they can enjoy things, the orcs get wind of it and take it all."
"This is why we have to be very careful. Here's what I want us to do..."

Woo! Spring, year 2, and things are looking up for Craftrazors!

In order to properly utilize all this new metal, we need to have magma. So I dig out a great big cistern for our magma supplies.

Some Foul Blendecs show up, and I send the militia after them.

They seem to be having fun.

Oh no! A kobold has stabbed Vabalokis! And the military was right on the other side of the door. So close, yet so far.

The kobold was dealt with by Haemish, but Vabolokis was wounded.

She's laid up in the new hospital. Her wounds aren't critical, but we are low on medical supplies...

Or at least, we were. Ha!

Hark! Migrants!

Among them is a handsome young dwarf by the name of Mahrgrell who is drafted into the military as a macedwarf.

...that was fast.

He's gathering a bunch of bones at a craftsdwarfs shop. I wonder what he'll make?

Praise Asmel! An artifact door! We can now feel secure from the monsters of the deeps!

Skirtpatterned the Fighting Walk will protect the fortress, and enable us to exploit the caves without fear.

OH MY GOODNESS

Blood of Armok? Seriously? We don't need to raise money for our magma?
This is almost getting creepy. But I'm not complaining. This means that we can focus our long-term fundraising on tears of armok, for a well.

While all this was going on, some warlock snatchers showed up, but they were chased off.

And, as Zlurker mines the precious, precious blood of armok, the season comes to its end.

Wow. The gods are smiling on this fortress thus far. By next month, we'll have magma. We're going to start saving pennies for tears of armok, so we can have a nice well.

Plans for next time include getting the magma cistern filled, guilding our bevy of new named dwarves, and digging out that well. Our plans are quite money intensive, so I think it'll also be about time for me to start chopping down lumber in the caverns. It might not be a bad idea to put another barracks down near the entrance to the cavern, and a food stockpile as well. We also got some orichalcum from all the copper I've been smelting, so it might not be a bad idea to get some magic training on the way.

Current wealth is 7500c, 5500s, 3500g

New Forum Dwarves:

Old Dwarves Thoughts:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2013, 01:33:09 pm »

Instead of spending a lot of money on a gem that makes water, (which is an abundant resource on the map), why not make a weapons/armor merchant and get gear for 5-10 dwarves? You got snatchers and thieves, so ambushes and sieges wont be long.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2013, 02:08:15 pm »

Instead of spending a lot of money on a gem that makes water, (which is an abundant resource on the map), why not make a weapons/armor merchant and get gear for 5-10 dwarves? You got snatchers and thieves, so ambushes and sieges wont be long.

Don't worry, I'm planning on making Urist's Steel Emporium next season. I just finished the embassy for that very reason, actually...If for no other reason than I could make lots of copper gear to train my smiths and sell them off for cash. But it isn't quite reasonable to outfit my military with purchased armor just yet. Armor is very expensive, and I have a decent armorer on the wings and sufficient metal to kit them out (not to mention I would have to select each armor piece individually, which would get old really fast). Weapons, however, are a different matter. Cheaper, and I don't have a quality weaponsmith yet...you can expect to see purchased weapons in the future.

The Tear of Armok is still a long ways off; it's more of a long term goal to take the place of the Blood of Armok now that I can just mine the things. I do consider it a defense issue, too; I wouldn't need to go outside for water, and my water source would be guaranteed pure. I would be much more capable of weathering out sieges.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10