Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Craftrazors: Another 4e Merchant Fortress  (Read 17066 times)

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Craftrazors: Another 4e Merchant Fortress
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 08:19:31 pm »

Animal material? Sounds kind of odd. But then again I don't really do much editing besides adding pet tags to critters I want to catch during the game.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 01:14:42 pm »

The dwarves sat in the wagon, listening to the slow creak of the wheels. They'd been traveling for weeks, on the long journey to their destination, the site of a brand new fortress. The wagon was loaded with the supplies purchased with the queen's grant. The dwarves sat absorbed in their own activities. Some were chatting with the expeditions shopkeepers, four more were playing cards on a makeshift table made from an upturned beer barrel. In one corner, a scrawny dwarf was doodling complicated alchemical formulas on the back of one of a ragged piece of parchment, before it was suddenly snatched from hands.
"Don't scribble on that, Meph!"
"It wasn't scribbles, I don't see anything else to write on in this wagon, do you, Zlurker?"
Zlurker carefully placed the parchment back in a polished stone box.
"Well, find something else to write on. These trade licenses are the most valuable thing we have here, and shopkeepers won't accept them if you damage the royal seal."
"Valuable? I know for a fact that you got them for half-off at Honest Urist's Discount Bureaucracy Emporium back at the mountainhome."
"Could you blame me? I've never seen a deal li-what's that blasted noise?"
Zlurker walked to the front of the wagon, where the driver, Freezair, was banging his fist on the side of the wagon.
"What's the problem Freezair? And why have we stopped?"
"This's the place," grunted the muscular driver, taking a swig from his beer barrel.

The dwarves piled outside of the wagon, looking over the hilly landscape, just as the sun began to peek over the horizon.
"So this is the place?""Could be worse, I guess. At least it's warm.""Ground's too soft. Give me good solid rock under my feet any day.""So what should we do, Zlurker?"
Zlurker Snapped out of his reverie. "How should I know? I'm not in charge. Ask Vabalokis."
"What do you mean, I'm in charge? You signed the paperwork."
"But it was your idea!"
"MY idea! I thought it was Spascala's idea! Ask her!"
"Oh, don't make me the leader! speaking in a firm authoritative voice gives me hives."
Zlurker sighed. "So you mean to say that we never even decided who the expedition leader is?"
Zlurker pointed randomly at one of the dwarves. You, Quakhead wasn't it?"
"Uh, yes?"
"Congratulations, you're the expedition leader, voted by popular demand."
"I am? But I don't know anything about leading expeditions! I'm a lumberjack!"
"Capital. No preconceived notions, strong on elf policy. So what do you want us do?"
Quakhead thought deeply for almost a full minute. When he finally spoke, he spoke with the authority of a dwarf standing on the shoulders of giants, a dwarf who knows exactly what he wants out of his future, a dwarf, in short, with vision.
"Let's cut down some trees."

Woohoo! It's time to strike the earth!

Let's take a look at our available resources.

We have lots of trees, which we can sell for coppers. We've also got some ponds on the surface, so we aren't in danger of dying of thirst.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In terms of mineral wealth, we've got lignite, malachite, Green Jade, and rock crystal. Can you dig it?

And down deeper in the cave, Cobalt. I can dig it.

I designate out the entrance.

Ayup, it's a good ol' fashioned trap corridor.

With two mason's guilders, might as well dig out a good portion of the place.

We got here the farm, barracks, and the top level of the dining hall.

To continue the tour...

Shops, workshops, furnaces, and stockpile.

With our the basic layout designated, first things first: Deconstruct the wagon and block off the caves.

Freezair gets to work training our animals.

I set Spascala to work clearing a Nith that has been harrassing our miners.

Huzzah! Bomrek's is in.

Let's get an early start on money acquisition, I say.

Our surface farm is dug out, to supplement our diet with fast-growing food.

Not too shabby, we also got Olon's Culinary Delights, Morul's Tavern, and the Researcher's Study in early as well. So far so good.

And, while rounding out our farming situation and the smoothing out some walls, Craftrazor's first summer rolls around.

Well, so far so good. Nothing calamitous has come from the caverns, and the nastiest beasties to come around have been some Asps. We've already collected some 7000 or so copper and 2000 silver. Our plans for the next season are setting up the quantum stockpile, digging out our dining hall and dormitory, putting in our first traps, and placing some illumination. Our primary long-term goals for the future are researching magic, warpstone, alchemy, and magma. Tragically, the embark doesn't have any flux, which will put a crimp on alchemical studies, but there are ways around that deficiency.

The thoughts and feelings of the forumdwarves...which is all of them, at the moment.

On a side note, Snelg has been queened.

Oh, that reminds me, Meph. When we get around to researching magic, which flavor of mage would you like to be?
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 01:39:26 pm »

I like burning and landmines? Whoot. :D

Vabalokis

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McKneeGrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 03:04:58 pm »

Cant wait for more.

I am jewler of jewelers guild , i must have a bed made of gems!

ps. id like therapist screen once in a while to see how useless everyone is

Spoiler: Vabalokis the jeweler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 03:55:15 pm by Vabalokis »

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 09:39:21 pm »

When possible, Meph prefers to consume elixir of life.

Sefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 11:37:46 pm »

Count me in for a dwarf; preferably a marksman dwarf when one roles around. Watching with great interest. <3

MuDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 12:58:56 am »

I would like to be Dwarfed as Haemish if male or Haemara if female.
Spear Dwarf is possible, otherwise whatever you deem best/most needed.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 03:12:42 pm »

"What do you suppose we'll find down there?" Vabalokis asked.
"How should I know? I'm no miner." Meph replied.
The two dwarves were standing beside the massive, gleaming spire that marked the entrance to Wiltdeep, a tunnel that lead down to the caverns far underfoot. The tunnel was blocked off with a hastily contructed wooden wall; while dwarves had no fear of the darkness under the surface they had no desire to allow the wild animals inhabiting it into a still-vulnerable outpost.

Meph was the outpost's alchemist and researcher, while Vabalokis it's jeweller. With the outpost still focused on digging out rooms and erecting walls, there wasn't much need for their specialties. Vabalokis cleared her throat.
"You know, my uncle's cousin once saw one. One of the Beasts. Took out half a dozen swordsdwarves before it was brought down."
"I don't believe it. Every fortress has stories of some awful monster showing up from the caves and doing something gruesome to it's inhabitants. But they never make any sense, you know. Some impoosible creature made out of salt or some such. And what did your uncle's cousin say creature looked like?" Vabalokis frowned.
"He didn't like to talk about it...but when he got really sober in the mornings, you'd sometimes hear him call it a six-legged quadruped. I still don't know what he meant."
"See? It's just the sobriety talking," Meph concluded triumphantly. "Just you wait, when we finally get around to opening it up, there'll be nothing that some traps or Spascala can't see off."
Vabalokis was still frowning. They were far from home and surrounded on all sides. Just because things were quiet now didn't mean that it would stay that way.
"I hope you're right, Meph."

Ah, the new season is here, and we have a lot of work to do, so let's just right to it.

Right off the bat, the quantum stockpile is going. I tidy fortress is a happy fortress, as my momma used to say.

You know, it's really hard to get work done when you guys are busy sleeping on the job.

You know what would be nice? More dwarves to work with.

Thank you kindly!

And now, the outpost is bustling with activity.

We're sowing up more fields, engraving stuff, researching stuff, and gearing up for copper production.

We put in Teduk's Fine Goods, a must-have for those who appreciate the finer things in life. We also begin processing our copper ore and smelting coke from the lignite.

Ding!

Zlurker is legendary.

With the fortress in high-gear, the summer draws to it's close.

Another quiet season. Nothing more threatening than a Foul Blendec has come in. Food and drink supplies are beginning to run low, so next season we will be purchasing food and drink, as well as preparing for the first caravan. Speaking of which...we don't actually have a Trade Depot yet. Should probably get on that...

We have a small stockpile of coke, so next season we will start producing copper for basic weapons, armor, and trap components. We'll also make a guildhal; we're amassing a nice little fortune (too many coins for our bookkeeper to keep track of as yet) and I think that guilding our dwarves would be a fine use for them.

Short term goals include getting the trap-corridor online and increasing booze stockpiles.

Here's y'all's thoughts.

That's everyone, right? I didn't miss anyone?

Vabalokis

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McKneeGrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 06:02:44 pm »

MORE MORE!!!

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 06:22:58 pm »

I am become legend. *_* Stones and ore alike tremble in fear of my mighty pick.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 07:34:11 pm »

The rendermax screenshots are prettyful. But holy carp does all the darkness make the atmosphere more threatening.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2013, 08:19:16 pm »

Lets chop and sell cavern wood. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 01:27:27 am »

"Thank you for the tour, Mister McTeelox, but cou-"
"Please, call me Teelox, everyone else does."
"Okay then...Teelox. This is a very nice place you've carved out here. But, if you don't mind me asking...where am I supposed to sleep?"
"Sorry about that. We haven't gotten around to putting down beds just yet. We've just been sleeping where we can."
Oldark gaped at Teelox incredulously. "For six
months!?"
"Hey, I don't deny that it ain't ideal, but we'll get around to it one of these days. C'mon, there's one last place I want to show you before you get to work."

The pair turned down a wide, torch-lit hallway and came quickly to an open passage like any other in the outpost. The two turned inside the passage, and Oldark felt her jaw drop open.
"And what is
that?" she heard herself say.
"It does tend to take newbies like that, don't it? Welcome to the stockpile, miss."
The stockpile, it turns out, was a largish room, some twenty by twenty-five feet. At the edge of the room was a minecart, placed on a length of track no bigger than itself. Behind the minecart, the room was empty. In front of the minecart, though, was a towering spire of rock, supplies, and furniture that reached up to the ceiling. It was loosely bound, but in no accordance to common sense, it didn't slope or sway or spill out even the smallest amount. And it seemed much larger than it had any right to be. It seemed to be filled with far more than could possibly fit in such a small space. As she stared at the pile, a dwarf entered the room, placed a boulder inside the minecart, and tipped the minecart into the tower, where it seemed to merge with the rest of the pile. Oldark felt her eyes water.
"This is your damn
stockpile? Ye gods, we use something that laughs in the face of reality for easy storage space?"
"Well, what would you use it for?"
Oldark opened her mouth for a reply, thought for a moment, and decided against it.
"Never mind. Where did you say the drinks were again?"

Woowee! It's autumn at Craftrazors! Food and booze are running low, so with the first caravan a few scant months away, it's about time that we get to making some crafts. Unfortunately, our most valuable local materials are the zircons, so I decide to get a glass industry going.

We also set up temporary dorms in our eventual noble's quarters.

Wait, white rock?
It's marble! Huzzah, we do have flux!

I send Spascala after some critters for meat and leather.

She seems to be having fun.

We're getting quite the stockpile of coins going, so I buy a few chunks of warpstone.

We've got body parts and remains to work with, so with any luck, we'll be able to research warpstone mutation soon.

A new wave of migrants come through.

Nothing really notable hear. A decent armorer, I suppose.

Huzzah!

Now we can BLASPHEME THE VERY NATURE OF REALITY ITSELF!

And, as I was finishing up digging out that dining hall, the season comes to it's end.

Aside from some dire-lion shenanigans, it was yet another quiet month. We started producing copper armor and weapons, so very soon now we will explore the caverns. We're researching blast smelting and alchemy, and the warpstone pool is nigh. There are still some gaping holes in our defenses, but we're plugging them up as we go.

Next time, we'll build a warpstone pool for your viewing pleasure, and continue to amass funds for guildification.

Oh, and fun fact, my first rendermax based crash happened this month. You guys lost something awesome involving a troll and an angry boar.

We currently have 1500 gold and 2500 copper.

Thoughts:

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 02:29:16 am »

I want a pet from the warpstone pool! :O

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2013, 05:14:20 am »

I dont think the thoughts are necessary for every month. Most of the text will be the same anyway. I'd say only post newly dorfed dwarves.

A Chandler would come in handy... if you play with Rendermax, we need more torchbearers and candelabras.

Nice writing and good on you for starting a new fort, after the bubonic end to the last one. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10