Fight the power!

Row!
- 0 (0%)
Row!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 16, 2013, 01:03:36 pm

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: ☼SILVERGOOSE☼ Of Masterworks, Mephs and Magma.  (Read 24041 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼SILVERGOOSE☼ Of Masterworks, Mephs and Magma.
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2013, 12:04:36 pm »

Yeah, this is the main problem:
320 gold-bearing rock mugs.  Two are worth ☼3600☼ each, good, but most are worth only 300 each.
Why in Armoks name would anyone without a stable fortress and a good military ramp up their fort wealth up like that, attracting all the attention you dont want. ;)

they we supposed to be gone by this point. Stupid value of those things is probably hurting us now.
=> Doesnt matter. Once a certain wealth is reached, the trigger is activated. Even if you set your fort to 1 wealth and only have 2 dwarves running around... the sieges will keep coming. The trigger is not deactivated if you go below the treshhold. Once you breach it, you have sieges.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 12:07:37 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2013, 12:19:47 pm »

Because its awesome.

mensrea

• Bay Watcher
  • Bane of COMEX
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2013, 03:27:28 pm »

Because its awesome.

Agreed.

How many epic succession games and amazing stories are the result of careful planning, perfect tactics and strategies, and flawless, uneventful turns where skillful players adeptly counter whatever fate throws at them with confidence and gusto?

I, for one, embrace the chaos, madness, panic, desperation and starvation that is SILVERGOOSE. In fact, I wouldn't have it any other way. There is beauty in insanity, and SILVERGOOSE is a sexy babbling lunatic.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2013, 05:37:03 pm »

DAMMIT WE ARE DWARVES!  If we see shiny metal, we must do something with it.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2013, 06:16:35 pm »

Harder Farming: Open plant_standard.txt in the save raws, and check the growdurations. If they are in the  hundrets its off, if they are in the thousands, its on.

Hey, nice tip – thanks.  Quarry Bush, Plump Helmet, Pig Tail = 4032.  Berries = 1008.  Well, guess that answers that question.

I think we can get by on food, eating the seeds we now know would take too long to grow.  Booze is a different problem.  29 pig tails, 4 rope reeds, won’t last long.  Nothing brewable showing in the revealed caverns.  Giants, Cyclops, Rimes and Eldjotun camping outside the walls.  What’s an Eldjotun?  “A fearsome being that controls the flames of Apocolypse, likes fighting, hurls fireballs and sprays jets of fire.”  Oh.  Great.  Where is the scaleplate armor and netherwood shields when you need them?  The siege is mostly gathered in one area and mining through soil is quick: maybe we can sinkhole ‘em.  I’m calling that Plan B for the moment while waiting for inspiration of something else … Mensrea said “no cheating, no Danger Rooms” so, ok, but none of our healthy dorfs know from shinola re: armor or shields so, I’m guessing the five Eldjotun out there are four more than would be needed in any suicide charge.  Not counting the Cyclops and Frost Giants.  Interesting times!   :)  Screenshots and/or epitaphs by tomorrow. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2013, 06:46:38 pm »

With the Eldjotun, you don't even need to charge the suicide squad!  Just ask the marksdwarves...  or their charred corpses.  If you can find them.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2013, 08:10:42 pm »

Charging megabeast-sized invaders with heavy armor and arms, that can start fires. Yep, that sounds reasonable. I would start building a temple and try to sacrifice so much stuff that Armok gifts you a Guardian. Then you can try with your own megabeast-sized warrior, a fireproof one with natural armor.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 08:12:40 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2013, 08:14:18 pm »

Which fits the theme of relying on prayer for everything, whether the prayer is in or out of the game!

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2013, 12:14:46 am »

My dwarf is a legendary 15+ prayer.  I'm still wondering how that went down.  I'm guessing he got tasked initially, and no one ever noticed.

Grimmash, in between prayer sessions:  "Lots of noise out there, but they told me to pray.  I guess if they really need me, someone will say something."

Years pass.

"Grimm, here's a fancy hat, your in charge now!"

"I'm not really sure that I should be leading this place.  Oh.  More than half of the people here are dead.  Alright then."

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2013, 10:13:55 am »

OK, then --
Status: Grimm has already posted screenshots for the fortress as it currently stands.  He’s a Legend +5 priest who was tending the wounded, re-tasked to praying only (food and booze, first).  46 dwarves including 10 infants.  17 top-tier invaders camped outside the walls.  There are 511 farm plots; those not already planted were set to fallow, leaving the steeloaks, fungiwoods, 25 quarry bush and perhaps 75 plump helmets as is.  Hopefully, we’ll have helmets to brew soon.  Two farmers are level four, one is incapacitated with melancholy.  That labor will be removed for the bumblers after plowing two small surface plots for berries.  We have 62 non-steeloak logs, I’m going to sacrifice a couple for ash/potash hoping to jump-start the berry production.  I don’t see how with our current resources we can deal with the siege invaders.  I’d close up shop for a year and work on the militia but we’re not self-sufficient – food maybe (six fishfarms!) but booze, probably not.  Only 5 of the adult dwarves are willing to work so that’s another limitation.  Building kitchens, fish processors.  Some statues.  It’s a long shot, but perhaps someone will start a party and help with the mood.   Another will be an exploratory miner, searching for gold near the previous deposits in the igneous layers.  Energy is a problem; without a volcano on the surface there’s likely a magma pipe somewhere but we don’t have time to look for it just now and there’s always that exposed Bloody Gem.  “Use marksdwarves if you can find ‘em, for the Eldjotun”  was suggested.  I found ‘em easily enough; they’re standing next to the surface fortifications, babbling and quivering.  OK, deep breath, spacebar to unpause …
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2013, 02:19:42 pm »

Erm, the wooden blts the marksdwarves have worked great for dark strangers and the orcs.  The just bounce off the giants.  What I meant was the marksmen were a suicide squad that server themselves to the Eldjotun without needing to move, not that they were effective in their current state.

Here is my epic poem relating the tale of the marksdwarvs of Silvergoose:

Of the Arrows ten became four
Then those four were no more
But less mouths to feed
Further lessened the need
To burn up the wood for more seed

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2013, 02:31:39 pm »

That poem is indeed epic.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2013, 05:15:20 pm »

Un-pause and,
The tantrums started immediately.  Grimm is searching for cut jewels to continue his prayers.  The militia squads were told to stand down since there’s nothing much for them to do and we need the labor pool.  Our Vampire is an Apostle of Armok??  Well, he’s praying in a bunkered alter and doing the books.  Two of the militia troops have bled to death from wounds since we’re a bit short on medical supplies.  I’ve never used fish farms before but dang, these guys are good!  Using buckets and hands, catfish and crawfish, mostly, thanks to the farms set up by the previous Overseer.  I have hopes those two blinking purple tiles mean plump helmets will mature soon and that will give us self-sufficiency.  Two weeks in, no gold discovered yet from several dry shafts.  The steeloaks are looking good. The entire surface was scorched completely within a week.  I’m off to a slow start because there was just so much to take in but if we can be self-sufficient and the wooden walls don’t burn (?), Plan A may be to just hole up until we have an Embassy, coins, and some semblance again of a military.  We may even be here for the next Overseer’s turn.  At least the Vampire, anyway …

1st Felsite, Late Spring.
And then, riots.  We’re down to 36 dwarves (3 bled out).  Peasants seem to be particularly susceptible to sucker punch uppercuts but the infants going insane pick up a mithril weapon. 

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2013, 05:19:12 pm »

Really? Who started the tantrum spiral again?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2013, 05:46:16 pm »

You could try the music stage and a drow instrument to stop tantrums, or the temple and the blessing of armoks wrath. They should be just right against tantrums.

the wooden walls don’t burn (?)
Not even ice walls would burn. Constructions are everything-proof. Ice walls even hold magma.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13